Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin

Forums: Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin

Postby rajib » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:10 am

rajib Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:10 am
Hi Paul,

Can you make this thread sticky ? I would like to capture change requests and enhancement requests in this thread so that you have a fixed thread to see what we are requesting.

Everyone can post their own enhancement / change request on this thread. But please do read through all the prior post to ensure you are not making duplicate requests.

My first request : Change Environment tab to be based on NGE based design.

Could you change the Plugin's Environment Tab to be NGE based design ? This is to make it similar to the Octane Standalone that allows for a lot more flexibility in setting up the environment than the current dialog based UI. Multiple environment nodes could be set up (like in the stand alone) and connected to the environment out to make that environment active. Also it will allow us to use mix materials to mix sky maps, color corrections etc in the environment setup that we cannot do with the dialog based design today. Something similar to the node graph in viewtopic.php?f=33&t=70847&p=360857&hilit=+two+sun+#p361515. You can basically use the NGE code base to implement it.

Regards,
Rajib
Last edited by rajib on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Change and enhancements request for the Octane Daz Plugin

Postby rajib » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 am

rajib Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 am
Replace all duplicate materials with one click of a button

E.g. An Sci-fi set may have many same objects in the scene. If these were not instance based, all the objects will have their own texture maps (Diffuse, Normal, Bump, Specular, Roughness, etc). But each of them would be pointing to the same image file on the disk. In the Materials Tab each of the object surface material will be appearing as a separate material item under the OctaneRender Materials (Left side panel of the Material Tab's UI).

Can you add a button that will check if the materials under the OctaneRender Materials are the same and then link them to first entry (of that material) and remove the rest of the duplicate material entries ? Something like dragging and dropping the a material from the left side panel to all the surfaces on the right side panels (Scene Surfaces) to link them to the same material item.

Though these sometimes can be done manually but some of the sets there are a lot of such items so manually doing it becomes very tedious. Having a button that does this will be great and would save a huge amount of time.

Below is the example scene :

DuplicateMaterials.jpg
Duplicate materials of the left panel. E.g. Light2

Now in the above scene so many of the materials have (2) ,(3),(4) etc against there name. If you look at the Light2 Material there are all the same material even though they are named differently (Light2, Section1:light2, etc) . So if on a button click all the Light2 became one entry it makes things more efficient and manageable. Similarly, all the other duplicates will be reduced to one each making the material list more manageable.

DuplicateMaterialsReplacedWithOne.jpg
All duplicate Light2 replaced by one Light2 material

If anyone wanted to make a separate material for one of the surfaces, they could easily do the Auto Material and modify that as they please.

The logic might be something like this :
1. Create a empty array.
2. Scan item in the material list
3. Check if the material is the same as one of the materials in the array in terms of the material nodes/ definition irrespective of the name
- If no, add the material item to the array
- If yes, increment the count for that material in the array and keep track of the surface it is linked to.
4. Loop from 2 until the list is fully scanned
5. Once done, look at the array where the count is more than 1 meaning duplicate entries.
6. For each of them, link the material to the new material surface so that they are all linked to the same material.

This is a simplified take on the logic. You will probably need to create C/C++ structures / classes to store in the array with all the material definition, count and surface links.
Last edited by rajib on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am

rajib Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am
Enable auto scrolling of the OctaneRender Materials list when the mouse left button is down and the mouse cursor is hovering at the top / bottom of the list

Currently the OctaneRender Materials list does not auto scroll when one is trying to drag a material and drop it on a material that is outside the current view of the list. Can you please enable the auto scrolling of the list so that as long as the left mouse button is pressed and it is hovering near the top / bottom of the list, the list auto scrolls to bring the items outside the view into view. This will help to replace materials by dragging and dropping when the source and the destination materials are too far apart and does not show up in the visible view together even with the window maximized. I am on 4K monitors and even for me sometimes the material list is too long and scrollbars appear which makes dragging visible material and dropping on materials not currently visible impossible to do as the list does not auto scroll.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:55 am

rajib Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:55 am
Fix the material naming madness

The below image shows what I mean by the naming madness :

WeirdNames.jpg
Naming madness

This logic of just keep adding (2), (3).... at the end of the name needs to be fixed. On this scene I have only one material named Miho: Teeth yet it appears as Miho: Teeth (2) (3) (2) (3) (2) (2) (3) (2) (2) (2) (2) (4) (2) (2) (3) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (3) (3) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) . Can this be fixed ?

Maybe each time a scene is loaded, the number part is reset to none and then only if a duplicate name is found while loading the scene add a (2)... to it ? I have too many scenes with too many elements with this kind of names even though they are the only material with that name in the scene. Manually changing one by one is not possible because I will literally have to spend hours renaming each of the elements in a complex scene. I have tired it but have given up on it. So a fix for this would be most welcomed.

This naming madness also affects Render Settings names and also environment settings sames.

Maybe this name cleanup also can be triggered manually on a click of a button.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:53 pm

rajib Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:53 pm
Add a confirmation dialog box when Final button is clicked : Fixed Thank you Paul.

Can we have a confirmation dialog box popup when the Final button is click on the Octane Viewport ? I do not know how many times I have accidentally clicked it while trying to click the Save button at the end of the render and have lost the render and hours of render time. This small change will save us a lot of lost productivity time.

Update:
This has been fixed by Paul. Do note I have tested this only on the 2019.1.0.46 version of the Plugin
Last edited by rajib on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:12 pm

rajib Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:12 pm
Remember the "Focus Follow <object>" in the Octane Viewport

Current if you right click on the Octane Viewport and select the Focus Follow an object, if you save the scene and open it again, the focus follow setting is not remembered. Can this be changed so that each time we open the scene we don't have to set up the focus follow again and again. This is just a low level irritant. Can be taken up later.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am

rajib Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am
Fix RenderSettings Export and Import

Currently if one makes changes in the RenderSettings tab and exports it and then imports it back, some of the values don't stick. This needs to be fixed. It may be a problem with the export that it is not exporting some of the values or it may be a problem with the import that it is ignoring the exported values and defaulting to default values.

Test :

I opened a new scene with default values. I then proceeded to change all the values. For toggles switches I toggled them too. Changed all the drop down values too. Then exported the settings.
RenderSettingsExport.jpg
RederSettings before export

I then again created a new scene with default values and imported the exported settings. Some of the settings did not stick.
RenderSettingsImport.jpg
RederSettings after import

I have put a red cross against the ones that went back to the default values instead of what was exported. Please fix this export and import. All the values must be as per what was exported. I forgot to change the resolution but on a previous test they were okay.
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am

face_off Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am
Thanks for for the time you put into compiling this list.

I suspect everyone putting enhancements and change requests into the one thread is going to be hard to manage. But happy to respond here regardless.

As some history, I have taken over the support of the DAZStudio plugin from the previous developer, and they developed the code when Octane was very new and when the later Octane 3.0+ features could not have been envisioned or planned for. So the current plugin codebase does not allow for the addition of some of the newer Octane features, or for certain enhancements/changes. I can fix some bugs, and make small enhancements, but major changes will generally not be possible.

With that in mind:

- Replace all duplicate materials with one click of a button - I don't think would be possible to implement within the time I have available to support the plugin
- Enable auto scrolling of the OctaneRender Materials list when the mouse left button is down and the mouse cursor is hovering at the top / bottom of the list - this is potentially doable but something that I would categorise as low/medium priority
- Fix the material naming madness - I was unaware of this issue, so it is something I would need to investigate
- Add a confirmation dialog box when Final button is clicked - Done in the next release
- Remember the "Focus Follow <object>" in the Octane Viewport - I was unaware of this issue, so it is something I would need to investigate
- Fix RenderSettings Export and Import - I have been aware of this issue for a long time, and think it as a critical issue. However I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve it, not been successful in tracking down either the cause or a solution. At this point I don't think it is an issue I can resolve - sorry.

Sorry I cannot provide more positive responses to the comments you have spent so much time compiling.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Laticis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Laticis Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm
This was a bit sad to read "but major changes will generally not be possible." :(
Laticis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:19 am

rajib Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:19 am
Laticis wrote:This was a bit sad to read "but major changes will generally not be possible." :(

Hi Paul,

Frankly I am not happy with this. You are the "Otoy" representative for us Daz users. I hope you understand we are paying full license cost for Otoy and expect full support for Octane features in the Daz Studio plugin. It has been some time since you have taken over from t3. I would have expected you would have re-written the code from scratch if needed to support the new features. If you are unable to add the Octane features in the Daz Studio plugin, please let Otoy know that you cannot handle the plugin. As a paying customer who is paying for full license cost (and it is not cheap) I expect all features to be working in the Daz Studio plugin. You have said it many times that you cannot add features / fix certain things based on the existing code, so isn't it time to rewrite the code ? We are now facing similar situation we faced with t3, where the Daz Studio plugin was constantly lagging behind in terms of features and fixes.

I hope you commit to rewriting the plugin code and ask Otoy for additional developer resources if you do not have time to rewrite the code or unable to do so on your own. We as paying customers and expect features to be added on time and not given excuses that because of the old code base, new features cannot be added / things cannot be fixed. Please work it out with Otoy and get the plugin code base enhanced and sorted.

I am sorry I am being harsh here, but I am getting a bit fed up with the sate of the Daz Studio plugin. In any case, I will continue to do my RnDs and tests and continue to report things that need fixing and things that could be enhanced and made better in this thread.

Regards,
Rajib
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to DAZ Studio