Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim

Forums: Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim

Postby snakeboxmedia » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm

snakeboxmedia Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm
Hi,

So I have one of those annoying, inconsistent errors where Im trying to render 150 frames and so far I have only gotten to 73... once... most of the time I crash to desktop between frame 6 and 30.

I have attached the octane log of my last attempt (frame 73), and I randomly get the error about Octane not being able to access a null or something that I have around here before. I got the 3 frames before the crash this time, but again sometimes it happens 8-9 times then crash, other times not at all.

" *** OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access null item "

Followed by

"16988: Fatal error: Segmentation fault"

It's a fairly heavy scene with animated geometry and hair, although this is all saved to disk.

I am rendering without out-of-core and the scene is well withing gpu memory as well as system memory.

I am using latest stable 2018.1.3 ? build for houdini h17.5 (daily build 288)

sometimes, I get a segmentation fail as it crashes, but it disappears with the houdini popup log when houdini crashes to desktop.

But here is the strange thing, I can jump to any of the 150 frames and hit render and it works like a charm! But as soon as I submit it as a sequence it becomes super volatile.

2990wx - 64GB ram - 2x 2080TI - windows10 (1903)

If anyone has had similar happen, feel free to add to this :)

Thanks!

Edit: added some error popup info as well as a 2nd log file, this time using the stable build of 17.5, which made absolutely no difference.
Attachments
octane2.log
(755.38 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
octane.log
(6.51 MiB) Downloaded 206 times
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane crashes houdini to desktop on random frames of anim

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 pm

juanjgon Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 pm
Hi,

I don't think that the " *** OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access null item" message could be related to the crash. As you can see in the log it has happened before without any crash, and usually this is not a critical issue, but it hard to say. The crash happens just after saving the images ... do you know if the latest image had been saved without problems?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm

snakeboxmedia Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm
As far as I can tell the last frame did save without problems, but it's hard to know if it's actually the frame before, since the crash happens so rapidly, so there is a chance that it happens upon saving, never actually writes to disk. there is no empty files or funny looking frames.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

juanjgon Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm
Some time ago, I had a report about a crash while saving the images or just after saving them that in the end was related to a problem with the studio NAS file system. Can you please disable the "Asynchronous file save" option in the Octane ROP node, Output tab, to see if it helps?

A crash at that point is really weird, the plugin has not started to update the scene or render it, and there are no CUDA or other error messages ... only the null item issue, that should not be a critical issue.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:52 pm

snakeboxmedia Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:52 pm
Yeah I'm not sure either, I am going to try and setup a render using a different render engine too just to check if it's octane specific.

But in the meantime turning off asynchronous saving didn't help, crashed like before, segmentation error this time on frame 9.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:05 pm

juanjgon Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:05 pm
Weird. If you want to send the scene I could try to reproduce this problem here. Another workaround that could work is to render the scene in "Full scene reload" mode ... in fact, this can be a good clue about the origin of the problem.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:16 pm

snakeboxmedia Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:16 pm
The scene is already rendering in full-reload mode as otherwise octane won't update the hair gen node to follow the animated geometry underneath, so I have to use that for things to not render incorrectly.

I will have to look into which assets I'd need to include to supply the file, the hair gen file cache is 44GB so obviously you would have to re-calculate etc, not sure if that's fun.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:15 am

snakeboxmedia Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:15 am
So interestingly I just tried to turn off the hair, and just render the mesh (still using full-reload scene) to keep most consistent, and I got a crash at frame 3! So it's probably not the hair at all, but something else fishy in the scene or maybe nvidia drivers? I am using the latest 430.86 geforce drivers (not using the studio driver currently, as they don't work with Quake2 RTX for some reason, figured they were basically the same?)

Anyway I have attached the log that houdni generated, which shows the dll loaded, so hopefully these make more sense to you? :)

EDIT:
The Hair gen node in houdini just seems to be stupid unstable, or maybe its just my houdini I dont know, but in a different scene with similar, but much simpler setup I get crashes too, but not from rendering, just from playing through the timeline, which Im guessing is also what eventually crash the the other project. But why.....

Thanks!
Attachments
crash.hairFur_013.DESKTOP-TS9395C_8380_log.txt
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 am

snakeboxmedia Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 am
Could it be tonedmapped png saving part of it?

I just tried to load up a scene that I didn't make (ruling out n000b errors) and this scene was stable from a similation point, but also crashed when rendering in octane, but I am using tonemapped png's for this.

Currently I am rendering the same scene but I reset all output settings, so auto generated path, with untonemapped exr and so far it has rendered 116 frames out of 240 without any errors..... It's hard to know because this seems so inconsistent, but could it have something to do with the format? png vs exr tonemapped or not?

Edit: hmm tried tonemapped exr with the original problem scene... made no difference, crashed on frame 5.

I just don't understand how to problem solve this or what the problem really is :/
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

UPDATE

Postby snakeboxmedia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am

snakeboxmedia Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am
UPDATE2!
Well crap, spoke too soon..... yeah made no difference....

" *** OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access null item
*** OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access null item
15124: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Crash log saved to C:/Users/DESKTO~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/crash.hairFur_013.DESKTOP-TS9395C_15124_log.txt"

This pops up and suddenly BOOM! crash to desktop. Man it's so annoying.

UPDATE!

Okay so I think I might have finally figured out what the cause was, and as suspected after a while, it obviously wasn't actually Octane crashing because the log clear showed that when it ran, it finished and died before it could run again.

Basically I think basically it was a memory instability as a result of cpu overclocking, I had played around with different settings recently, without any problems so far that I was aware of, but I realized that the BLCK was at 101mh (100mhz being default and usually recommended). Anyway running a 2990wx with very sensitive memory and speeds, I am sort of quite confident that this was the cause, which also explains why it would be random, because every so often the memory would just fail, but not enough to crash the system, just not stable. this also would affects PCI-E and everything else... a bad idea which I already knew, but I forgot it left it there.

Anyway, long story short, I have now changed this and so far I have rendered 2 sample files, without houdini crashing during sim/playback and Octane rendering 60 frames of one and is now up to frame 21 of the project that was the problem initially, which usually crashed between frame 4-9. So far I haven't seen the weird Null error either, so I wonder if that's related... Anyway I will let it render and update if it is actually stable or if there is more to it.

just want to say thanks for trying to help @juanjgon I can't imagine how difficult it must be at times when people just rock up with "it doesn't work, and there could be 400 reasons as to why" :)

btw can't WAIT for 2019.1 :D
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Bug Reports