How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders

Forums: How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders

Postby MaxXR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 am

MaxXR Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 am
Hope you're well

So I was wondering, how easy is it to get Octane to improve a model -for eg this sketchup model of the Sydney Opera house https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... pera-House?

Thought this might be a fun example to test drive Octane. If I can get the quality high enough, I'd love to import into my game. So I imported the 2016 Sketchup model (2017 and 2018 version of the model didn't work) into Unity 2018.2.0b4 with the OTOY Installer Scene loaded and followed along with this Octane Livemap tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyWNiRLj88.
As you can see, the model looks much better in the Octane Viewport. How can one quickly and easily get the entire model (with all sub game obejcts, shaders, etc) baked and back into unity?, I thought...

But after failing to find a quick solution, I decided to try and manually bake by textures (which now seems silly and laborious as look at how many game objects and textures there are!) following along with the video. So I baked an opera house texture as in the video and it looked right - correct lighting, color etc for the base of the building. As you can see here:

However, when I reapplied it to the "Base" game object it turned out like this. The base of the Opera House doesn't look like the baked one on the right (different colors/mapping issues?).

1) what am i doing wrong? Why doesn't the material on the left look like the viewport on the right? Think it may be to do with mapping or multiple shaders but not sure.
2) is there a much faster / easier way to make objects look great using Octane because Ideally there'd be some way to process the whole object (with subobjects) in one go?
Not sure how feasible it is to use otherwise

The Octane bake on the right really does look much better. If there's a relatively fast and easy way to get complex objects (hierarchies, multiple shaders & materials, etc) baked with Octane and into unity, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!
Max
Last edited by MaxXR on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxXR

Re: How to bake the Sydney Opera House? many textures/shaders

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm

ChrisHekman Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm
I see you are using the old baking method. Have you tried the new Octane Lightmapper?
You can access it from the Octane dropdown menu.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MaxXR » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am

MaxXR Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am
Thanks for responding chris

I didn't know about it. Just tried it out (see screenshot).

Approach was to:
1) set the selected gameobjects' mesh renderes' to Lightmap Static is true;
2) in Lighting window, turned off Realtime Lighting, and turned on 'Baked Global Illumination';
3) In PBR Lightmapp window, clicked 'Generate PBR Lightmaps'

Took 18minutes to render. Results as you can see - Unity model is different to before but does not look like the PBR Viewport / sexy octane version. What am i missing? How can I get it so the unity baked model looks exactly like the sexy octane one in the PBR viewport?

Idea is if i can do that, then hopefully i can somehow export the model (as ORBX?) so that i can import to any other unity project.
Quality (as shown in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ecfZF-IuSI is amazing). My end outcome is to publish these assets in AR and VR apps.

Thanks
Last edited by MaxXR on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxXR

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am

ChrisHekman Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am
Did you set the directional light to baked?

Some notes on the lightmapper
If you turn the denoiser option on, you can set the samples on +-100.
That should probebly reduce the render time to about +-3 minutes. And allows you to try different settings quicker.

The lightmapper only sets the lightmap of the unity mesh.
The rest of the rendering is still unity, so that mean your visuals are limited to unity rendering somewhat.
So you dont get the fully sexy octane.

The old baking system does get you closer to the octane result. Though you should use an unlit material.
Could you give me your unity scene? so I can see what is wrong with your setup?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MaxXR » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 pm

MaxXR Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Thanks Chris

Nope, Directional Light's Mode was set to Mixed so changed it to Baked. Thanks

Then tried to use the AI denoiser.
If Baking Mode is set to Sequential it times out / gets stuck at 2% (64/2400).
When set to Progressive, it ran but didn't make it all the way and threw this error. Image

Then turned off the denoiser and tried to to PBR baking of 100 samples and it crashed.
But upon booting up the same project again it had baked various materials before crash as the color of the opera house was now dark brown. That said, the PBR Viewport looks fine / no problems with the dark brown color like in the Unity editor. Set the samples to 1000 and tried to bake with the PBR Lightmapp but again it froze. Got no idea why :/ Tried again and it got through all of the samples, but then at the end threw these errors: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yex4js7vblxgg ... r.PNG?dl=0

Here's a package for the project (pre baking):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eej06z80rrwl ... ckage?dl=0

Many thanks
Last edited by MaxXR on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxXR

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm
Hi MaxXR

For some reason I cant download the package from you dropbox. It claims it is an upload link?
Do you have a different link? Or could you share it another way, like Google drive?

I have tried to recreate your issue, but I am not getting the same errors.
It looks like both errors have to do with file issues. Do you have disk read/write restrictions?
Could you try to reload the project?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MaxXR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:11 am

MaxXR Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:11 am
Hi Chris

Yep. Here's new:
dropbox link: (unity package) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuc4ohyd968po ... ckage?dl=0
and drive link: (project folder) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Tried it again from scratch with 2018.2 (kept freezing) and 2018.1 (same problem as last time with error)

Process: (sorry tried lists for easier readability but weren't displaying in preview)
started new Unity 2018.2.0b4 project 'OTOYtest4'
imported 'OctaneRender for Unity Insstaller Scene' --> API notice --> clicked "I made backup, go ahead..."
imported 2016 Sketchup model from https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... ouse?hl=en
clicked on sketchup model 'Sydney_Opera_House' and from Inspector, Imported/extracted from model its Textures and Materials to their own folders (otherwise it's just a blank white object)
Selected all meshes in Syd Opera House object and set in inspector, Mesh Renderer, Lighting to check Lightmap Static on.
Selected Directional Light and set Light component's Mode to 'Baked'
Load Octane, default is 1.1.0.1245 so updated to 1.1.1.1322
Windows > Rendering > Lighting Settings and turn on 'Baked Global Illumination'
Launched PBR Lightmapping menu (Says enables PBR Render Target)
Created PBR Render Target game object and clicked 'Render'
Froze. Waited 5m... Still frozen.
...Attempt 2
Launched same project.
Create PBR Render Target, looks like it's working. I click to move it next to the Game object pane.. Freezes again... Notce in console it says "The editor layout could not be fully loaded, this can happen when the layout contains EditorWindows not available in this project."
...Attempt 3
Started OTOYtest5 in 2018.01.08f
When i get to Load Octane, it doesn't recognise the prior package and so has to install 1.1.1.1322 from scratch (ok - is there a way to make it a package like everything will be for new unity workflow so we can just import it via package manager?). In any case, install new version
Load PBR Render Target (no problems) and launch PBR Lightmapper
In PBR Lightmapper set samples to 100, leave baking mode on 'Sequential' (default), and turn on AI denoiser and click 'Generate PBR Lightmaps'. Again it stop at 2% 64/2400.
I stop it (PBR Lightmapper) and set baking mode to 'Progressive' and try again. As you state, it takes ~3m and the end result in unity editor (on left) looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s39pvcslp3rs ... 5.PNG?dl=0 and throws the following error:

PBR Lightmapping error: C:/Users/IMMERS~1/AppData/Local/Temp/DefaultCompany/OTOYtest5PBRLightmap_0_BEAUTY_DENOISER_OUTPUT.exr does not exist at System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, Boolean overwrite) [0x000bd] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:107
at OctaneUnity.CreateLightmapAssetsTask.CopyLightmaps (OctaneUnity.PBRLightmapSettings settings, OctaneUnity.PBRLightmapLiveData liveData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at OctaneUnity.CreateLightmapAssetsTask+<Execute>d__4.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at OctaneUnity.PBRLightmapper.UpdateInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
OctaneUnity.PBRLightmapper:UpdateInternal()
OctaneUnity.UpperManagement:Update()
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

After that I changed Windows > Lighting > Mixed Lighting's Lighting Mode to 'Baked Indirect' and tried again with the PBR Lightmapper (had no idea if this would do anything. Didn't think it would as if i understand correctly, that changes settings for Unity's global baking settings, not OTOY's PBR. Anyway, tried to then bake using PBR Lightmapper and it froze at 20%

Hope this helps. Many thanks
MaxXR

Postby OnlyVR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

OnlyVR Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Hi MaxXR,

Try to change the directional Light to "Baked". Also try to uncheck AI Denoiser in PBR Lightmap.
OnlyVR

Postby MaxXR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 am

MaxXR Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 am
OnlyVR wrote:Hi MaxXR,

Try to change the directional Light to "Baked". Also try to uncheck AI Denoiser in PBR Lightmap.

Thanks @OnlyVR i tried that but the Editor still doesn't match the PBR Render Vewport after baking. Instead it looks like this

Anyone have any other ideas re what i could be doing wrong / how to use Octane's global baking features?
Thanks
MaxXR

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:10 pm

ChrisHekman Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:10 pm
The oprah house building does not seem to have valid Lightmap UVs.
You can have unity generate them by selecting the oprah model and toggle Generate Lightmap Uvs.
Sydney_Opera_House.skp -> Model -> Generate Lightmap UVs
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Octane for Unity