Render is grainy no matter what.

Forums: Render is grainy no matter what.
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Render is grainy no matter what.

Postby Pectabyte » Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Pectabyte Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 pm
Hey guys, I’m creating a series of renders for my science fiction series, The Amaranth Chronicles.

https://theamaranthchronicles.com/media

I’m having trouble with Octane Renderer for 3D Studio Max. I've searched all over the web and there are a lot of "my render is grainy" posts but nothing seem to work. No matter the values I give the Kernel or Camera, my renders are still coming out incredibly grainy. This is the result of a 30 minute render on an RTX 2080.

What am I doing wrong? How can I remove this fuzzy, grainy quality to the image?

Grace Cathedral PathTracing.jpg

Settings1.jpg

Settings2.jpg

Settings3.jpg
Pectabyte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Render is grainy no matter what.

Postby frankmci » Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm

frankmci Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm
I'm not a MAX user, but off the top of my head, I'd suggest first turning on the AI light, since this is exactly the sort of scene it works well on, enable Adaptive Sampling, and I'd also reduce your GI clamp to something like 10 or 100. If the AI light doesn't do much for you, you may want to simplify the shape/number of polygons on light emitting geometry, plus manually set your Sampling Rate for each emitter, to give priority to the ones that matter most.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pectabyte » Tue May 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Pectabyte Tue May 26, 2020 6:08 pm
That made it much, much worse.

Grace Cathedral Night 2pathtracing.jpg
Pectabyte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm

frankmci Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm
Pectabyte wrote:That made it much, much worse.

Oops. :D

Which "that" do you mean? Did you try those suggestions incrementally and in differenct combinations?

How are you generating all those lights? Looks like you have 100+ individual sources. Are they light primitives or individual pieces of texture driven, light emitting geometry? A combination of the two? Do you have different materials for each light type? Are you faking any lighting with luma maps on textures?

Have you tried isolating each major group of light sources to see which might be the most guilty culprit? There's an awful lot going on in that scene, illumination wise, so simplifying may help you track down the issue more quickly.
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pectabyte » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Pectabyte Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm
I tried all three of your suggestions at once. Any combination of the 3 leads to a crash.

The majority of the lights are texture base and there are 3 different lighting materials. Its not the lights. Its the overall image.
Pectabyte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 pm

frankmci Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 pm
Pectabyte wrote:I tried all three of your suggestions at once. Any combination of the 3 leads to a crash.

The majority of the lights are texture base and there are 3 different lighting materials. Its not the lights. Its the overall image.

If those are causing a crash, you may have a deeper problem.

If it's not the lights, are you saying that you still get overly noisy renders with, for instance, a single Daylight lightsource? Can you share an ORBX of the scene?
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pectabyte » Wed May 27, 2020 5:08 am

Pectabyte Wed May 27, 2020 5:08 am
Its fine if I place a day light source in there. Its literally only in low light situation. I have no idea what an ORBX scene is, but this file is several gigs worth of assets, if that makes a difference.
Pectabyte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm

frankmci Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Pectabyte wrote:Its fine if I place a day light source in there. Its literally only in low light situation. I have no idea what an ORBX scene is, but this file is several gigs worth of assets, if that makes a difference.

OK, so it clearly is the lights, then. Yes, low light is inherently noisy, (and even more of an issue with a high number of light sources for CGI). That's an unavoidable fact if you are ray trace rendering, shooting a film camera, or a shooting a CCD camera. Fewer photons means more noise.

ORBX is the native file format that Octane uses. It's essentially what the render engine is actually rendering, and what you can examine and edit in the OctaneRender stand alone application. It's also a good format for sharing while troubleshooting, since it's not tied to any given 3D host package.

You have many, many lights in your scene, but you really should not need 15,000+ samples to get a good looking image. Some light sources are more important than others, and you need to figure out how to use them optimally. It is not a trivial problem. Normally, the AI Light does a pretty good job of this, but not always. As I mentioned previously, I suggest you isolate different logical groups of light sources and see which ones contribute the most to overall scene illumination, and which contribute minimally to inter-object illumination. Then use the Sampling Rate for each source to weight them accordingly. The Sampling Rate is a relatively weighted value, not an absolute value. It doesn't matter if you use 1 and 0.1 or 100 and 10. They have the same relative weight to each other.

You should be able to get a much cleaner image, much faster than what you've got now. In addition to optimizing your lights, definitely read up on Adaptive Sampling, Denoising, AI Lighting, and the GI Clamp value. Since you are having crashes, you may also be running into a low memory issue, and may want to look into Out of Core RAM use.
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby whersmy » Thu May 28, 2020 2:08 pm

whersmy Thu May 28, 2020 2:08 pm
If its possible export to .orbx (possilbe from 3dsmax plugin) and I`ll try and give you a few pointers.

Indeed all of the above tips are useable :)
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion