Format: v<Octane engine version> - <plugin version>
3ds Max version supported: 2018 to 2024. Note: support for 3dsmax 2013 to 2017 will be only occasional.
What's new in 2022.1: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=80814
What's new in 2022.1.1: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81415
This version supports Nvidia Ampere GPUs and as a consequence we had to drop support for old Kepler cards with a compute model < 3.5.
And please make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows
Changes of the 13.20 version, from 13.19
- Fixed Fov update missing for Octane camera in Ortho mode
- Added safer detection of TyFlow and Ornatrix version, to avoid MaxScript errors causing BackBurner to fail.
- Added TyFlow and Ornatrix version options in Octane Preferences
- Added Ornatrix baked hair abc support
- Added support for lens shift for VRay camera and standard physical camera
- Updated camera conversion with lens shift support
Previous versions changelog:
- Code: Select all
Changes of the 13.19 version
- Added Camera lister dialog with conversion to Octane cameras. (Render Settings / Camera / Camera Tools)
- Updated OCIO issue fixer dialog
- Changed object's Layer Id range to [1,255] instead of [0,100]. Invalid previous ID values of 0 will be set to 1
- Fixed crashes when loading a new scene, after rendered a previous scene with AOV output enabled
- Fixed orbx exporter issues when ABC mode is enabled.
- Updated Animation cache support (Experimental - details to be posted soon)
- Added Animation cache fixer dialog, to help convert incompatible items and setting optimal performance.
Changes of the 13.18 version
- Added support for 3dsMax 2024
- Updated to Octane 2021.1.1
- Fixed Octane Volume transform animation not updated in viewport when using instances.
- Fixed unnecessary need to enable Movable proxy for MeshVolume
- Fixed incorrect UI for MeshVolume after resizing object's dialog
- Fixed Instance color texture not loading image data
- Fixed double saving of cryptomatte EXR passes.
- Added option to set the number of digits used to save custom animated output files (exr).
- Added option in Preferences to enable the use of 'Oct' suffix added to output images.
- Added an OCIO issue fixer dialog, to help rendering scenes with invalid OCIO settings.
- Added experimental animation cache for Octane viewport (details to be posted soon)
Changes of the 13.17 version
- Fixed exr saving for animated sequences with Octane EXR instead of 3dsMax EXR.
- Fixed Universal camera parameters not updated.
- Fixed occasional crash when loading older version
- Added TextureSelector texture to assign textures based on material ID. See samples and tutorial here.
- Added MeshVolume object to create volumes or SDF volumes from scene objects. See samples and tutorial here.
Changes of the 13.16 version
- Fixed Forest pack View Clipping not updated is some cases.
- Fixed VDB animated position not updated in Octane Viewport
- Fixed FOV not updated when changing max viewport with motion blur enabled, from an ortho to perspective view.
- Fixed incorrect light orientation when scattered by Forest pack with Vectron mode enabled.
- Fixed Additional Zoom Key preference not saved.
- Fixed singled image output files not saved when option multi exr was used
- Fixed issues when saving exr or using output folder overwrite while render element file types are not exr.
- Added option to save single exr passes as Octane exr instead of 3dsMax exr.
- Added a Material Index generator in Octane Geometry Modifier, to be used by Material Selector. See updated Material Selector post here: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80663#p422120
- Added options to change Octane material types (eg from Glossy to Toon). See tutorial here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81261#p422117
- Added Material copy / paste options to copy compatible parameters to different materials, and to copy materials between multiple 3dsMax instances. See tutorial here: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81261#p422118
Changes of the 13.15 version
- Fixed crash when loading some scenes, showing MaxScript Call stack overflow error
- Fixed UI issues when switching renderer, showing empty dialog in some cases
Changes of the 13.14 version
- Fixed OSL texture parameter not updated when was set as Color
- Fixed several issues with materials
- Added support of Forest Material and Forest Color - see Tutorial and samples here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81068
Changes of the 13.13 version
- Fixed crash with Render elements using AOV outputs
- Fixed Octane Volume unnecessary updates when changing the node transform
- Updated Octane Volume channel selection to discard incompatible types.
- Fixed issues with orbx export for Octane geometry primitives and Phoenix wetmap
- Fixed issue with Ray epsilon new UI multiplier not used in Preferences
Changes of the 13.12 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 (Stable)
- Fixed issues with imager updates when changing 3dsMax viewport while Locked updates, Paused Render, Locked Camera.
Changes of the 13.11 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 RC3
- Fixed issue with cameras when 3dsmax viewport is maximized
- Fixed issue with Material Selector, not creating osl files with an unsaved scene (Untitled).
Changes of the 13.10 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 RC2
- Fixed crash with very big render size ( eg > 50000 x 50000)
Changes of the 13.09 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 RC1
- Fixed issue when using multiple IFL files, causing 3dsMax to fail reading files after several thousand renders.
- Fixed export failing when previous orbx file is manualy renamed.
- Added additional keyboard shortcut for zoom in Octane viewport (eg, for Wacom tablet, see Preferences/ Viewport: Ctrl + mouse buttons by default)
- Added Material selector material to select one material from a Multi-Material, by index, randomly or with custom a texture. See samples here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80663
Changes of the 13.08 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 XB4
- Added new textures and effects of XB4
- Added Compatibility mode parameter in relevant nodes (Kernel, Daylight, some textures, AOV layers, ...)
- Added Preference option to set Compatibility mode when loading old scene ('Prev. Versions' tab)
Changes of the 13.07 version
- Added a 'locked' backup preference file in Preferences / Preset menu - see Updated post on Preset. https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76178&p=416236#p416236
- Fixed Octane Preset overwriting current preferences when disabling a Preset .
- Added 'Copy...' button in Octane Preset to copy to/from Preferences.
- Added MAXScript functions to backup and restore Octane preference file. See MAXScript post update: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62173&p=416230#p416230
- Changed Ray epsilon editable values - Valid values in the range (0.01,1000) are internally converted to octane range (0.000001,0.1)
- Removed incorrect change of spinner precision to 7 digits (as it affect all spinners)
- Added VDB save location options (Render settings / Kernel / Support, and Preferences / Kernel default) See VDB post update https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80560
- Fixed VDB Preview file caching incorrectly still saving files when set to 'disabled'
- Improved VDB preview caching cancelation with ESC key.
- Added MAXScript call on Octane Viewport pre/post open/close (Preferences / Viewport). See MAXScript post update: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62173&p=416230#p416230
- Added missing support of FloatImage textures as input of Triplanar texture
Changes of the 13.06 version
- Fixed issues with tyFlow support, incorrectly rendering particles with no mesh operator
- Fixed issue with tyFlow support causing crash using IVI
- Fixed issues with Volume VDB preview and improved display cache system.
- Fixed custom AOV and global AOV passes not using parameters in normal render
Changes of the 13.05 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 XB3
- Added option to export animation with sub-frames (motion blur steps)
- Improved UI of some floating point parameters (eg Ray Epsilon) to view full precision numbers (see note bellow)
- Added Ray Epsilon default value in Octane Preferences / Kernel default. (Used when creating a new scene)
Changes of the 13.04 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 XB2
- Added new XB2 textures
- Added AOV Cryptomatte mask and picker [url=https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80189]see here.[/url]
- Fixed issues with AOV export, AOV UI
- Added support for 3dsMax Photometric lights - [url=https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80188]doc and samples here.[/url]
- Updated Vray IES Light support
- Updated Octane Light shape
- Fixed Octane IES Light additional rotation UI
- Added option 'Single texture' in Triplanar map to specify all 6 textures at once.
- Added Color value display when using White balance picker. [url=https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80190]see here.[/url]
- Added option 'Force Linear' in imager, to help saving as un-clamped 3dsmax EXR
- Fixed Vray blend material multiplier.
- Added support for Undo in all render setting dialogs.
- Fixed support for Forest pack Version 6 and bellow
- Added options to save render passes in separate folders
Changes of the 13.03 version
- Fixed UI scalling issues (aka 4K monitor)
- Fixed Railclone issue with RC version 5
- Updated Object panels UI with width expansion enabled
- Fixed issues loading old scenes
- Removed Material button in Vectron
- Updated vectron operators and primitives to support Instances and References, multiple materials, Object layers
- Fixed conflicting parameter named "name" of Color vertex attribute and Float vertex attribute: renamed "attributeName" for MAXScript access.
- Fixed crash in OSL texture import from localDB
- Fixed crash in Unit Volume
Changes of the 13.02 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 XB1
- Added features of 2022.1 XB1: Vectron primitives, Vectron operators, Field textures, etc...
- Fixed VDB cloud point display in max viewport with non ansi filenames
- Fixed missing updates in Quick mode for non movable proxy objects
- Fixed crash with non ansi VDB filenames
- Added support for Phoenix particle texture (Wetmap, ...) - see tutorial: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79688
- Updated Octane Multi-Texture (sorting images by filename, drop to image list)
- Fixed Octane light UI when using Expand Dialog Width option
- Fixed crash with Layer Group
Changes of the 13.01 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2022.1 XB0
- Added features of 2022.1 XB0: Photon tracing kernel, Standard surface material, Standard volume, ...
Changes of the 12.16 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1.4
- Added multiple rollout to most materials and some textures, matching Octane Stand-Alone groups
- Added 'Multi-Texture' to apply several textures randomly. Samples and tutorial comming soon.
- Fixed issue with object instances Motion blur when camera motion blur is disabled.
- Added experimental option to expand object's dialogs to full width Modify panel.
Changes of the 12.15 version
- Added support for 3dsMax 2023
Changes of the 12.14 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1.3
- Fixed Scatter Surface object
Changes of the 12.13 version
- Fixed repeated viewport update when using Motion blur
Changes of the 12.12 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1.2
Changes of the 12.11 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1.1
- Added Texture 'Cinema 4D noise'
- Added back option 'Old volume behavior'
Changes of the 12.10 version
- Fixed missing viewport update when using 3dsMax "Field-of-view" tool
- Fixed option "Use denoised beauty output instead of beauty"
- Fixed Color space option in Image Tile texture
- Fixed issue with osl projection
- Fixed MAXScript bug when clearing Material textures with m.xxx = undefined (eg m.displacement, m.transmission_tex, ..)
- Added attribute generators to be used by multi texture (work in progress)
Changes of the 12.09 version
- Updated Forest pack support (evaluation time, clipping Camera/View)
- Changed default Color space for textures to sRGB. Default also can be changed in Preferences / Material
- Fixed crash when changing Renderer from Octane to non Octane.
- Added support for new Corona 7 materials (Physical, Select, ShadowCatcher)
Changes of the 12.08 version
- Updated UI of Render Setting and Preferences to improve performance.
(and moved some Kernel options in separate "Render Layer", "Special Passes setup", "Passes Output" Rollups)
- Fixed issues with 4K monitors / Desktop scaling
- Fixed Object not 'Visible to camera' having also no ambient shadow visible.
- Fixed RailClone Object's pivot not included in the instanced geometry
- Added support for Forest Pack clipping View / camera
- Added support for Vectron Union and Substract
Changes of the 12.07 version
- Fixed 3dsMax viewport becoming slow for some scenes with many image textures
- Fixed issue with multiple Octane light instances.
Changes of the 12.06 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1
- Fixed sub texture names in Slate editor graph
Changes of the 12.05 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1 RC3
- Fixed objects and lights ambient shadow visibility when Object not set visible
- Fixed performance issue when changing multiple objects instances using the same materials.
- Fixed AOV UI crashes when deleting / moving aov inputs
- Improved naming of AOV default inputs / layer when created from Aov graph or aov dialog
- Improved rendered image performance for viewport display
- Fixed MAXScript renderers.current.viewportMultiPass not updating the pass list
- Fixed OSL dialogs (eg vectron) not showing all parameters with desktop scale > 100%
Changes of the 12.04 version
- Fixed Light mixer not matching Beauty pass
- Fixed AOV UI and AOV Octane graph edition
- Fixed Light shadow visibility when Light not set Visible
- Fixed Universal Camera imager not editable
- Added default kernel settings for Viewport and Render Tone mapping
- Added support of channel flip/swap for NormalBump map and Vray normal map.
- Added default settings for slip/swap Status of NormalBump map and Vray normal map in Preferences
- Added support for scale/rotation of source objects used in ScatterSurface and ScatterVolume
- Improved node selection update when using "Animated Material update in Viewport"
Changes of the 12.03 version
- Fixed issues when rendering with render elements, Cryptomatte, LDR/HDR, EXR
- Fixed RailClone Meshes update in Direct mode. (see the Mesh update type option in Support/RailClone)
- Added RailClone default settings in Preferences
Changes of the 12.02 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1 RC2
- Added display of Octane volume VDB in 3dsmax viewport
- Fixed issues with lights visibility with clay mode
- Added missing Color clay mode
- Fixed rotation of 2D transform
- Fixed texture animation of Composite material
- Fixed Ornatrix hair vertex color RGB order (added setting in Support/Ornatrix)
- Fixed texture update in 3dsmax viewport
- Fixed disabled animated Material update in material editor when texture cache is disabled
- Fixed animated 2D transform UI showing same values for X and Y
- Fixed AOV grah editor changes causing errors or wrong updates
- Fixed saving of Cryptomatte passes, as exr when animated, or as HDR RGB image.
- Fixed render of Cryptomatte passes in LDR with standard render.
- Disabled saving of Deep Image and cryptomate with normal Render, when Save file is unchecked.
- Fixed Rendering of Render Elements passes
Changes of the 12.01 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2021.1 RC1
- Added support for new features of 2021.1
- Improved support of Environment maps [see details there https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78198]
- Fixed loading of materials with invalid textures from some old scenes.
- Updated render AOV system and dialog
- Replaced custom drop down category buttons by standard 3dsmax rollups for some objects (scatter surface, scatter volume)
- Added support for normal / bump map from Physical material
- Fixed issues with OCIO
- Updated default type of some material's textures to be Color instead of None
Changes of the 11.10 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2.4
- Improved support of Environment maps [see details there ...]
- Fixed loading of materials with invalid textures from some old scenes.
- Updated render AOV system and dialog
- Replaced custom drop down category buttons by standard 3dsmax rollups for some objects (scatter surface, scatter volume)
- Added support for normal / bump map from Physical material
- Fixed issues with OCIO
- Updated default type of some material's textures to be Color instead of None
Changes of the 11.09 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2.3
- Fixed saving HDR as EXR without ocio config file, not using imager's LUT
- Fixed AOV info passes not automatically enabled when using 'normalized' versions of info passes
Changes of the 11.08 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2.2
- Added support for Ornatrix vertex color
- Added vertex attribute Name selector in Color and Greycale vertex attribute texture.
- Added fix of invalid Material layers, when loading scene with corrupted materials.
- Updated AOV dialog, added missing Undo, Redo, moved layer scale and color on the single layer line
- Added Render pass settings in AOV scene settings
- Fixed White balance update from render settings's camera dialog
Changes of the 11.07 version
- Added support for 3dsmax 2022
- Fixed enable/disable of AOV layers causing the render to restart
- Fixed issues with EXR background for AOV image
- Added support for tyFlow particle Age. (Octane geo Modifier / tyFlow / particle UID). Use a Instance range texture with Maximun ID set to the frame count.
- Fixed issues that prevented to connect some UV transform (3D, scale, rotation,..) to some Image textures.
- Removed automatic creation of 2dTransform UV when creating Alpha Image, Greyscale Image and Tile texture (as for the RGB Image in previous release).
- Removed Quick update and Multi pass buttons from the viewport. Those are now enabled by default. Use Preferences/Viewport to revert if needed.
Changes of the 11.06 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2.1
- Added a Light mixer tool in AOV settings to automatically create AOV output with layers for Light IDs from the scene objects
- Added option in AOV Image layer to use 3dsmax viewport Background image
- Updated AOV setting dialog with context menus to move layers and inputs up and down, etc
- Updated Material conversion from standard composite texture to Octane composite texture
- Updated Material conversion from Vray Blend material to Octane composite material
- Added categories to Octane textures to match SA organization in Material Browser
- Updated OCIO for EXR export (added Color space / look, ..)
- Fixed OCIO update in Octane camera
- Fixed crash with volumetric Spotlight
- Fixed 4K desktop scaling UI issues with some textures, Volume modifier, Octane geometry modifier
- Fixed animated textures not updated to viewport while draging timeline
- Fixed 'min display sample' for viewport camera
- Removed automatic creation of 2dTransform UV when creating a new RGB Image. (can be re-enabled in Preferences/Troubleshooting)
Changes of the 11.05 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2
- Updated Composition texture
- Updated AOV dialog to support animation
- Fixed issues with AOV settings
- Fixed issues with OCIO
Changes of the 11.04 version
- Added editable names to inputs and layers of AOV settings
- Added Move up / down to AOV layer's context menu.
- Added Octane graph edition buttons in AOV settings.
- Automatically adding the render passes that are needed by AOV inputs in viewport, main render and orbx export.
- Fixed scatter object translation parameter having y,z components swapped, and not using 3dsmax distance units
- Added scatter object context menu on object parameters, with a Clear option.
- Fixed scatter object UI update.
- Fixed Vectron UI, boolean checkbox not visible.
- Fixed Vectron parameters, having empty name in Curve editor.
- Fixed Vectron parameter update, when using Undo/Redo
- Fixed Scatter Surface and Volume parameter update, when using Undo/Redo
- Fixed crash that can happen when adding a Octane Geometry modifier.
- Fixed crash when disconnecting a texture from the displacement mixer in Slate mode.
Changes of the 11.03 version
- Fixed issue in the AOV settings with Blend mode and Blend operation parameters not working
Changes of the 11.02 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2 RC6
- Added AOV settings.
- Added Scatter surface object.
- Added Scatter volume object.
- Updated Composition texture.
- Fixed issues with UI scaling (4K monitor)
Changes of the 11.01 version
- Updated to Octane Render 2020.2 RC3
- Added OCIO system. See Octane preference to set an OCIO config file, and the OCIO settings in camera imager.
- Added control of hardware ray tracing. See Device settings.
- Added nested dielectic option and material priority.
- Added Spotlight distribution texture.
- Added Composition texture.
- Added Textures: Channel pick, Channel merge, Channel map, Channel invert.
- Added Textures: Ray type pick, Chaos.
- Added Octane Geometry primitives.
- Fixed occasional missing post initialization, resulting in inactivated maxscript commands.
- Fixed missing scrollbar in some combo.
- Fixed incomplete list of channel type for Info channel Kernel.
Changes of the 10.20 version
- Fixed TyFlow issues with motion blur
- Updated Vray material conversion with better support of Glossiness (See options in Global settings, VRay tab)
- Fixed standard NormalBump texture, incorrectly connected to Bump pin instead of Normal pin.
- Fixed usage of both normal and bump for NormalBump and VRayNormalMap. Note that Mix textures is supported when used in normal/bump slot, but a Mix of NormalBump is not supported.
- Fixed bug causing messages '.. set array in attribute of wrong type' and out of memory error.
- Fixed crash when trying to select the root node from an Object layer helper
- Fixed crash with Corona material conversion using Displacement
- Fixed orbx export with Ortho view.
- Fixed loading of older scenes, that could reset tonemapping to linear
- Added Octane Preset helper object to keep material conversion setting and other settings in non octane scenes. (see description and samples here: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76178)
- Renamed Octane User Settings / Octane Global Preferences as Octane Preferences.
Changes of the 10.19 version
- Fixed Forest pack motion blur when using motion blur steps > 2
- Fixed missing setup of motion blur settings on multiple rendering with normal renderer.
- Fixed un-necessary rebuild of mesh with some node manipulation while rendering in viewport
Changes of the 10.18 version
- Fixed subdivision in Octane geometry modifier with non movable proxy (now internally set to movable)
- Updated MaxScript support For orbx export. See updated maxscript post: [https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62173]
- Updated Ornatrix support (update viewport when changing options in Support tab, fixed switch from non movable to movable proxy, ..)
- Updated Orbx proxy object with better support of instances;
- Fixed crash with Hair and Fur and other plugins, related to Broadcast messages.
- Fixed issues when adding modifier while rendering in viewport, and using Undo / Redo
- Changed default Imager response curve to sRGB (cf Global preference / Kernel default tab)
Changes of the 10.17 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1.5
Changes of the 10.16 version
- Fixed missing viewport update when hiding/showing sun lights (eg Octane dayLight) with Quick Mode.
- Fixed missing viewport update when changing Object Layer Helper parameters with Quick Mode.
- Added object list in Object Layer Helper, for objects matching layer ID and baking ID
- Fixed context menu for Quick export, incorrectly hidden if Multi passes was disabled.
- Fixed issue with texture Drag and drop in material editor
- Added support for standard vertex color map in material conversion / 'on the fly' conversion. Note that an Octane geometry modifier may need to be added to objects to read additional map channels.
- Fixed material conversion of vrayNormalMap, now separated to normal and bump pins of Universal material
- Fixed material conversion of bitmap gamma, now set to 1.0 when used as Specular, Opacity, Reflection, etc.. (option in Global preferences / tab 'Vray/Corona/std')
- Update material conversion dialog and added progress / status message.
- Added 'Target focus' mode for Universal camera
- Fixed UI scaling issues for Octane Light (4K monitor, Windows display scale)
- Fixed invalid class names for MaxScript usage (-> '_2D_transformation()' and '_3D_transformation()', see option 'Fix Non Standard internal class names' in Troubleshooting of Global preferences)
- Fixed hidden object state change undetected while not rendering
- Improved support of Vertex Paint modifier, to handle any map channel, without the need of adding the Octane geometry modifier
- Fixed issues when converting material with the classic material editor opened, not updating correctly the current slot.
- Changed the default Movable proxy settings to be Enabled.
- Added option to keep material layer group empty on creation. (Global preference / Material tab: 'Create empty material layer group' )
Changes of the 10.15 version
- Added direct access to relevant standard max object properties in Octane object properties (eg visibility, Cast Shadows, ..)
- Fixed geometry update issue when deleting / adding modifiers, eg Octane Geometry Properties
- Fixed special octane geometry usage with Octane Geometry Properties modifier
- Fixed motion blur object settings update while rendering
- Fixed motion blur steps
- Fixed velocity channel in Octane object properties discarding map ID 1.
- Added Generic velocity scale ('Support' tab), for use of motion blur with velocity maps, as value units may varies with plugins generating those maps. Note that too big values may result in Octane hanging.
- Updated Octane light UI to use 2 lines for size parameters.
- Added conversion of Physical Material
- Fixed occasional crash in material conversion
- Fixed loading of old scenes with 'Non linear tonemapping' disabled, missing to set response curve to Linear/Off
- Added Quick export in viewport context menu of Octane node viewer button (single frame orbx export)
Changes of the 10.14 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1.4
- Fixed vectron geometry input node, not re-initialized correctly on rebuild scene.
- Updated vectron geometry input node to use node object layer settings
- Fixed material editor UI issues when loading old max file with image texture having an invalid image type.
- Fixed Octane light class name for maxscript usage : reverted back to "OctaneLight" instead of "Octane Light"
Changes of the 10.13 version
- Added Tone mapping settings in Kernel tab, for viewport and main Renderer. LDR allows to view cryptomate simplified colors. Note that the setting is also available in viewport's pass selection button
- Updated Octane Light to support target mode, color texture; improved UI and viewport display
- Fixed Octane Light On/Off not updated
- Fixed Vectron UI issues and support for geometry input parameter
- Fixed upsampling settings in Octane Camera's imager (none, 2x2, 4x4)
- Updated animated sequence files system for image files and Octane Volume files, with support of loop, ping pong types.
- Added support for ifl files for Octane Volume's animated vdb file list.
- Fixed image filename not displayed in Material editor when file is not found.
- Fixed viewport refresh on some kernel settings change (gamma hack)
- Fixed RTX Enabled checkbox, occasionally not matching the internal setting.
- Added P2P memory usage display in viewport statistics when RTX is enabled.
- Fixed movable proxy test of 'visible to camera' and 'cast shadow' node setting
- Fixed texture dialog in material editor, not updated correctly when changing to another texture slot of same type
- Fixed undo/redo for material editor and volumetric light
- Fixed some material parameters not imported correctly from LiveDB
Changes of the 10.12 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1.3
- Added Volumetric Spotlight
- Added Universal Camera
- Fixed RTX enable option not saved as global setting, and not updated when changed from Octane device setting window
- Fixed Camera and Light target position not set correctly when turning on target mode
- Fixed octane light instances when changing vectron mode while rendering in viewport
- Fixed export of some animated textures (3d transform, projection, displacement, etc)
- Fixed Kernel pixel grouping settings.
- Set unique names to object layer nodes, for render pass CryptoObjectNode
Changes of the 10.11 version
- Added a default 'Use Only Standard Particle' setting for tyFlow in Global preferences
- Added a default Kernel setting for gpu headroon in Global preferences, changed from 100 MB to 512 MB.
- Fixed crash in Material Editor with some textures (OSL, Displacement vertex mixer, ..)
- Fixed Octane Object properties, not displaying the Light flag checkboxes when Notify Object on render is set to 'Per object'
- Fixed UI not fully visible with Windows desktop scalling >= 125 % for Kernel / EXR compression file type combo box.
- Fixed Image sequence UI with start frame incorrectly updated
Changes of the 10.10 version
- Updated tyFlow support: Particle orientation with motion Blur, Material override per particle
- Fixed issues with tyFlow particle motion Blur.
- Added support for tyFlow particle Mesh velocity for motion blur
- Added option in tyFlow Support Tab and global preferences to always set tySplines as movable proxy
- Added option in tyFlow Support Tab and Octane geometry Modifier to use standard particle interface only (allows to render from particle Shape without Mesh operator)
Note that this is for backward compatibility; it is preferable to add a Mesh operator when needed.
- Added option in Octane Properties context menu to display external Object details (tyFlow objects)
- Fixed Material editor scale issue with Windows Scale and layout set to 125%
- Fixed toggle 'Enable displacement map' in Kernel
Changes of the 10.09 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1
- Fixed occasional crash with some tyFlow simulators
Changes of the 10.08 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1 RC4
- Re-added support for 3dsMax 2013,2014
- Fixed Octane Light with Vectron mode failling to connect a Transmission texture
Changes of the 10.07 version
- Added support for 3dsMax 2021
- Removed support for 3dsMax 2013, 2014
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1 RC3
- Added default texture size used when Material conversion needs baking texture (Global settings)
- Improved texture conversion for Falloff with curves, Noise , ..
- Added internal Material with Object color when object don't have any material assigned. (to enabled in Global settings, Material tab)
- Fixed converted materials not always re-assigned to objects.
- Added Material 'on-the-fly' conversion support for VRayLight, VRaySun
- Added options to convert only specific materials (selected objects, current in Material editor)
- Fixed converted Material display in viewport and assignments to objects
- Improved standard bitmap support for tilling, real world uvs
- Added more supported materials (CoronaLight, CoronaColor, CoronaTriplanar, CoronaLightMtl, CoronaLayeredMtl, CoronaRaySwitchMtl, CoronaHairMtl, stdChecker, stdTint, ..)
- Fixed issue with UI refresh of OSL Camera, OSL Baking Camera, OSL projection.
- Fixed Hair and fur not rendered when H&F mode is not 'geometry' . See Support tab, Hair and fur panel
Changes of the 10.06 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1 RC2
- Added support for Material conversion 'on-the-fly' for most currently supported non-Octane materials and textures
- Improved support for material conversion of falloff textures
- Improved support for material conversion of Output texture
- Added support for vray Car paint Material (experimental)
- Added rendering with default 3dsmax object color, when no material is set.
- Minor bug fixes
Changes of the 10.05 version
- Fixed 2d projection texture issue with second values of scale / transform not editable.
- Fixed incorrect desktop scale (eg, with 4k monitors) in Material editor and for some Kernel settings
- Fixed background environment Color not updated in Octane viewport
- Changed Out of core maximum ram from 128GB to 1024GB
- Removed invalid 'Export material' button in Material layers
Changes of the 10.04 version
- Fixed missing geometry from Forest Pack and other plugins when using XRef objects.
- Changed the range of floating points of texture pins from [0-1] back to [0-100000] (as in previous version of the Material editor UI; but beware that the valid range is [0-1] )
- Moved all broadcast settings to kernel settings. All are now scene specific.
- Fixed update of image textures compression and layer settings.
- Updated Material editor UI for better performance.
Changes of the 10.03 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1 XB3
- Added Dirt visibility in Octane Object Properties
- Re-introduced Legacy mode for Forest pack, for simpler backward compatibility with older scenes.
Changes of the 10.02 version
- Fixed update of instances of animated proxy, when using Direct mode.
- Fixed occasionally missing helper buttons in Forest pack support tab.
- Fixed standard particle update with normal render.
- Fixed issues with the viewport 'Rebuild' button.
- Fixed phoenixFD particles for fire simulators
- Fixed crash when phoenixFD creates Omni lights
- Fixed missing update when material assigned to one of multiple instances
Changes of the 10.01 version
- Added support for PhoenixFD version 4
- Fixed missing geometry for some types (Boolean, ..)
Changes of the 10.00 version
- Updated to Octane render 2020.1 XB2
- Added TyFlow support.
- Added RailClone instance support.
- Updated PhoenixFD support
- Updated Forest pack
- Simplified Forest pack support settings, with status display and optional change of FP render mode.
- Updated Out of core settings UI, to match Stand Alone names
- Improved material editor dialogs for most materials and textures
Changes of the 9.01 version
- Updated to Octane render 2019.2 XB3
- Added Hair material
- Added RTX acceleration in Device settings, to enable the RTX backend for ray tracing (experimental).
- Added Random walk medium texture
- Updated Dirt texture
Changes of the 8.07 version
- Updated to Octane render 2019.1 RC5
- Added Displacement vertex mixer texture
Changes of the 8.06 version
- Updated Ornatrix support. Added Ornatrix settings in the 'Support' tab, and added new UV channel selection. Those are now saved per scene.
- Fixed crash with automatic baking of standard Bitmap.
Automatic baking is permormed when a standard Bitmap is used as 'Standard texture' in Octane materials. (This can be disabled in a new setting in material tab, "Always Bake Standard Bitmap")
This allows support of all Bitmap settings, like Cropping / placement.
Changes of the 8.05 version
- Updated Forest pack support.
- Added 'Support' tab in render settings, for common settings and external plugin configuration. Those are now scene specific, with default values editable in Global preference.
- Moved Network config to the Devices tab
- Updated Particle flow support. Render mode (vs viewport mode) is now read from object properties 'Use render mode', and can be overridden in 'Support' tab.
- Added support for multiple shapes for PFlow, using shape instance: group of objects.
- Updated PhoenixFD : Added setting of particle object layer using particle mesh object's properties.
- Fixed camera FOV update when changing viewport
- Added automatic baking of standard Bitmap used as 'Standard texture' in Octane materials. (This can be disabled in a new setting in material tab, "Always Bake Standard Bitmap").
This allows support of all Bitmap settings, like Cropping / placement.
- Fixed Volume ramp texture changes not updating viewport
- Fixed bugs reading ifl files
- Added Orbx export of animated textures (ifl files)
Changes of the 8.04 version
- Updated to Octane render 2019.1 RC3
Changes of the 8.03 version
- Updated to Octane render 2019.1 RC2
- Renamed Dielectric layer material as Specular layer material
- Removed Coating layer material
- Fixed Forest pack objects using random color.
- Added object layer to Forest pack objects, (using the Octane properties of the scattered object, eg layer ID, light settings..)
Changes of the 8.02 version
- Updated to Octane render 2019.1 RC1
- Renamed Specular layer material as Dielectric layer material
- Added Coating layer material
- Added Cutoff to Post processing settings
- Added Max subdivision of Kernel settings
- Added Motion blur to Octane cameras, to set motion blur parameters per camera. Moved kernel settings motion blur to Camera tab.
- Fixed OSL parameter and shader update and animation (Vectron, OSL cameras)
Changes of the 8.01 version
- Updated to Octane render 2019.1 XB2
- Added Composite material
- Added Shadow catcher material
- Added Vertex displacement texture
- Added Layered material
- Added new Layer materials (Diffuse layer, Specular layer, Metallic layer, Sheen layer, Layer group)
- Added AI upsampling settings to Imager
- Added 'Affect roughness' in Kernel settings.
Changes of the 7.08 version
- Fixed issue with some objects being ignored when not set as movable proxy
- Fixed issue with viewport stopping to update while editing environment texture
Changes of the 7.07 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018.1.3
- Fixed un-hide object while rendering in Octane viewport.
- Fixed channel map setting in octane geometry modifier, when loading older scene with objects using subdivision or other geometry settings.
- Updated internal geometry handler, for better support of external plugins. Currently disabled by default - see TroubleShooting tab.
- Changed shutter time maximum value to 100000 %.
- Fixed issues with material editor previews of transform and ramp textures.
- Updated Ornatrix hair to latest sdk, with new support of hair width.
- Fixed fps settings for orbx export
Changes of the 7.06 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018.1.2
- Added option to save and restore Octane Viewport window size options ('Remember Octane Viewport Window' in Viewport Tab of Global Preferences).
- Fixed crash when cancelling creation of object with viewport opened with Quick mode enabled.
- Fixed crash on exit while viewport still open
- Added Shutter settings for animation, matching Octane Stand Alone.
- Fixed orbx export of octane camera animation data
- Fixed orbx export of object visibility animation, environment color, float texture value
Changes of the 7.05 version
- Added support of 3dsmax 2020
- Improved Material Editor performance
- Added texture caching for 3dsmax viewport and texmap view in material editor
- Added option to disable tooltips. This can slightly improve performance when switching materials. See TroubleShooting tab in Octane global preferences.
- Fixed missing viewport update when changing texture file.
- Fixed issues with non Ansii path for localDB
- Fixed crash when creating new Vectron object
- Added Octane commands that can be optionally added to the Octane menu (cf Customize menu) : 'Refresh materials', 'Explore scene Folder', etc..
Changes of the 7.04 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018.1
- Added support for 3dsmax standard particles (Spray, SuperSpray, Blizzard, PArray, etc..) . See note in post bellow.
- Added Kernel Default settings tab in Global settings, used when changing renderer to Octane
- Fixed issues with motion blur sample count, when multiple instances have different settings
- Added support for 'Invert output' when converting material from standard Bitmap.
- Fixed material conversion, when standard Bitmap for opacity map has no alpha (using a 'Greyscale image' instead of 'Alpha image')
- Fixed material conversion, when standard Bitmap for opacity map has Mono output set RGB (using a 'RGB image' instead of 'Alpha image')
- Fixed material conversion: VRay IES light color / temperature type
- Fixed missing conversion of VRay camera horizontal and vertical shift, to octane lens shift
- Added for material conversion: VRay IES power scale in Global settings
- Added support for 'true' / 'false' in addition to 'True' / 'False' when reading Octane object property strings.
- Added tools to check Movable proxy and animated objects (right click in Object properties list)
- Added Quick Mode selection in Render settings
- Updated scene evaluation for better performance (more in progress)
- Fixed PFlow particle orientation
Changes of the 7.03 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018 RC4
Changes of the 7.02 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018 RC3
- Fixed orthographic camera aperture
- Updated vertex attributes to use the new vertex index per attribute. This fixes issues with some types of meshes.
- Added Cryptomatte passes : CryptoMaterialNode and CryptoObjectNode
- Added Cryptomatte settings in Render settings / Kernel tab.
Changes of the 7.01 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018 RC1
- Added Octane Geometry Properties modifier, for vertex color and attributes, and mesh subdivision
- Added setting to change localDB directory
- Fixed processing of animated objects when they are empty on first render (eg particles)
- Fixed scatter depth not being set
- Fixed OSL asset tracking for Vectron objects
- Fixed GPU memory display in Viewport
- Updated Planetary Environment, replacing axis and angle by longitude, latitude settings
Changes of the 7.00 version
- Updated to Octane render 2018 xb2
- Added Vectron object. See Stand Alone documentation and 3dsmax samples to be posted soon.
- Added Volume SDF support. (using a new Type parameter in Octane Volume object)
- Added Cryptomatte passes, and new Save Image options to saved output as EXR file. Standard render also saves additional EXR files.
- Added Texture cache settings in Global settings, Material tab. Note that the texture compression is now internally cached.
- Added Vertex attribute texture maps (Color and Float) and preliminary support of Vertex paint modifier.
- Fixed drag and drop of texture map on osl parameters
Changes of the 6.12 version
- Updated to Octane render 4.01.1
- Added direct save as multi pass EXR from viewport (right click on save image button, exr compression and other settings in Global settings / Viewport )
- Fixed multi tile compression selection when using standard Multitile
- Fixed crash in material converter when a texture image file was not found
- Added Orbx import using new Orbx proxy object. (Animation from orbx not supported yet)
- Fixed missing tga file type when browsing for Alpha Image.
- Fixed render restart in some cases when opening Material editor or browsing texture/material.
- Improved scene loading time when textures are set visible in 3dsmax viewport.
Changes of the 6.11 version
- Added Reset Default settings in Global settings
- Fixed update of 'Enable displacement' changes
- Added support of texture compression for Image Tile texture.
- Fixed viewport update on some object properties change
- Fixed crash when using XRef material in Mix Texture
- Fixed Use Window resolution not having priority over Use production resolution.
- Added support of motion blur for Forest Pack
Changes of the 6.10 version
- Updated to Octane render 4.00
- Fixed issues with Tile grid (undo Clear)
- Fixed Persistancy issues for orbx Export
- Added Persistancy for static geometry (nodes not set as Movable proxy)
- Added Film region button in viewport window.
- Renamed viewport button 'Lock resolution' as 'Use window resolution' (matching Render View Settings option in Render setup)
- Fixed regions rectangle for 'Use window resolution' mode.
- Added 'Multiple Render Passes' mode for Viewport, to switch render pass without restarting render.
- Added a Quick mode in Octane Viewport, for faster interactive response with large number of Movable proxy. This may not support all types of changes at the moment, and you may need to press the Update geometry button in some cases.
- Fixed render setting dialog issues when liveDB path is invalid.
- Improved performance for Octane proxy file loading, and for some scene parsing cases.
Changes of the 6.09 version
- Updated to Octane render 4.00 RC7 (including thumbnail fix, fixing previous version texture issues in max viewport and material editor)
- Improved compression UI . The viewport now display "Compressing Textures..."
- Improved Region rendering UI in viewport.
Changes of the 6.08 version
- Updated to Octane render 4.00 RC6
- Added Percistancy options, to keep materials and geometry in memory ('Octane Scene Percistancy' in Global preferences, tab Main Settings)
- Enabled texture compression. (you should use 'Keep materials' or 'Keep all nodes' Percistency setting)
- Added maxScript functions OctaneSceneClearAll, OctaneSceneClearGeometry, OctaneSceneClearMaterials to clear persistent nodes (eg "OctaneMaxFPI.OctaneSceneClearAll()");
- Fixed material conversion from standard, to use alpha image texture for opacity
- Fixed region rendering with denoiser.
- Changed viewport region to match 3dsmax viewport Region, and rendered using Octane Film region.
- Fixed light mask not changing to all enabled, when viewport is opened.
- Fixed issues with Object Property dialog using Undo Create, Undo Delete
- Fixed issues with OSL UI not refreshed, OSL Camera textures.
- Fixed GPU settings not always sent to Octane at startup, or when opening Octane device window
Changes of the 6.07 version
- Updated to Octane render 4.00 RC4
- Better fix of PhoenixFD volume not rendered when rendering starts before simulated frames
- Added Light ID inversion in kernel settings.
- Added camera tools to copy parameters to / from viewport camera and other cameras.
- Changed limit of parallel samples from 16 to 32
- Fixed export of animated Octane lights
- Updated texture compression to show only valid options.
- Temporarely disabled texture compression, to avoid occasional crashes (fix coming soon)
- Added Octane expiration time in Account tab, when applicable.
Changes of the 6.06 version
- Added support for Image color format to Image Tiles texture (rgba, Greyscale, alpha)
- Fixed support for Channel format in Image Tiles texture.
- Added support for texture compression. See note below.
- Added support for volume denoiser.
- Moved Light pass IDs to object properties dialog, to allow light influence setting per object.
- Added option to save denoised beauty output instead of normal beauty. (Global settings, tab Main settings)
- Save and Restore of Octane Viewport render pass in max scene.
- Fixed PhoenixFD volume not rendered when rendering starts before simulated frames.
- Fixed object layer helper visibility in viewport
Changes of the 6.05 version
- Updated to Octane render 4 RC2
- Fixed issue whith movable proxy instances when 'Clear node cache when render' option is disabled.
- Updated 'Image tiles' texture. See separate post for usage. (https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=68575)
- Added a 'Per object' setting to the 'Use obj render settings' flag in kernel settings, causing performance issues. (renamed Notify Object on render).
- Fixed Object layer helper viewport display
Changes of the 6.04 version
- Updated to Octane render 4.00 XB4
- Added Global Light pass IDs mask Control in kernel settings to enable / disable Light passes
- Added Light pass IDs in Object layer helper to Control enabled light passes per layer
- Added 'Keep instance power' in emission textures, Octane Light, and IES light
- Added 'Image tiles' texture. [Please don't use! : unstable and currently works only with max2017's MultiTile, limited to U offset]
Changes of the 6.03 version
- Added Universal material
- Added Planetary Environment
- Added Nishita Light mode in Daylight Environment
- Fixed crash when using an Octane texture for non standard purpose (eg displacement map of PhoenixFD's simulator)
- Added option to use PhoenixFD displacement map for particles [experimental]
- Added calls to PheonixFD frame pre and post update functions (3.10), so that updates will work even if broadcast of standard notifications is disabled.
- Changed PhoenixFD particle group selection in modifier, as previous usage of group index could change during animation.
- Fixed missing update of imager when switching cameras/perspective while in same viewport
- Fixed export of animated environment (sun direction, etc..)
- Added Ground color in Daylight Environment
- Fixed issues with cloning objects while viewport is open
- Fixed issues with undo, redo cloning, instancing, deleting objects while viewport is open
- Fixed issues with material editor preview cache
- Fixed material color used in max viewport not animated (3dsmax 2014 and over)
- Added option to render transparency / opacity in max viewport (enabled by default, change in Global Settings / Material tab)
- Fixed issues when changing Movable proxy setting while viewport is open
- Added option to re-use object settings for new objects, allowing instant render when Movable proxy is enabled.
- Added 'auto sync' selection to Octane Object Property dialog.
- Added Distribution texture to Octane light.
Changes of the 6.02 version
- Improved Material editor performance: added cache and down-scaling of Material preview images : see new tab 'Material' in user settings
- Reduced minimal refresh time in viewport settings to 0 ms : (default is 30, minimum was 10 : please use 0 for fastest interactive updates)
- Added option to set this refresh time to 0 automatically when loading previous scenes (enabled by default, see option 'Optimize Refresh time for old scenes' of 'Viewport' tab in user settings)
- Fixed Material editor UI being refreshed continuously in some cases.
Changes of the 6.01 version
- Updated Octane Renderer to 4.00 XB3
- Added AI Denoiser settings in Camera tab (Render setup), and in Octane camera object, in the Imager section.
- Added Out of core geometry settings in the Kernel tab (Render setup)
- Added AI Light settings in Kernel tab, in the supported kernel panes (Direct light, Path tracing, PMC)
- Added Render Elements for the denoiser passes
- Updated device settings to select GPU(s) for denoiser
Download for users with a Studio / Enterprise subscription license: (VR)
OctaneRender Studio+ for 3ds Max 2022.1.1 - 13.20
OctaneRender for 3ds Max 2022.1.1 - 13.20 DEMO
The 3dsMax plugin Manual is available there: