RTX OctaneBench 2019 Preview

Forums: RTX OctaneBench 2019 Preview
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

RTX OctaneBench 2019 Preview

Postby Goldorak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:22 am

Goldorak Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:22 am
Dear Octane community,

We are happy to announce the release of a new preview version of OctaneBench with experimental support to leverage ray tracing acceleration hardware using the NVIDIA RTX platform introduced by the new NVIDIA Turing architecture.

This application lets Octane users benchmark the maximum possible speed boost Octane will get from RT Core ray tracing hardware in Turing RTX GPUs. This experimental version of OctaneBench is still a work in progress. It will be tuned and updated in future releases as we integrate RT Core support in Octane 2019.2 and later in the coming months.

RT core hardware provides significant speed gains for heavy scenes like the one in this new benchmark.

The benchmark scene was originally built in 2015 for this Brigade demo:

While not created or optimized for RTX, in our testing to date, it has provided the largest speed boost in OB with 'RTX on' for an actual real world scene, so we have selected it as the basis for this benchmark. Besides being geometrically dense, the scene is composed of hundreds of thousands of scattered instanced meshes. The ORBX in this benchmark can be inspected in Octane standalone for anyone interested in pulling it apart.

This RTX benchmark will provide two OB scores on RTX cards: one for "RTX on" and one or "RTX off" - and an overall speed boost gained from RT Core being enabled. On non-RTX cards, there will be just one OctaneBench result, which should be in line with previous OB results.

In our testing, on a 2080, we are seeing nearly a 3x speed gain for overall OctaneBench scores with "RTX on".

Here are the results on a 2080 Ti and dual 2080 Ti (you can mix and match non-RTX and RTX GPUs in too):

The speed gain is over 5x for info passes - on the very same GPU- with RTX on:

The above results on a 2080 are a remarkable 10x speed improvement over the previous generation 1080:

When considering how RT Core hardware will generally speed up rendering in Octane, it is important to remember that RT core speed gains are currently scene specific, and in many other scenes we have tested, we are getting less than half the speed boost we see here (but much optimization work is still to be done). This benchmark should at least provide a minimum (RTX off) and maximum (RTX on) guideline for the speed Octane can achieve on RTX cards.

Requirements:

• Windows (64-bit) 7 (SP1), 8 or 10 (1803).
  • NVIDIA graphics card (CM 3.0 or higher, CM 7.5 is required for RTX support).
  • NVIDIA driver 416.94 (GeForce) or 416.78 (Quadro) or newer (except 418 series).

Limitations:

• Benchmark result uploads have been disabled.
  • This build will expire in 120 days.

FAQs

Q: How do I know my GPU is using hardware for ray tracing acceleration?
A: At this stage only Turing cards support accelerated ray tracing, if you have the right driver you should see `RTX √` next to your GPU's name.

Q: I have an NVIDIA RTX series GPU but it does is not displayed as having RTX support.
A: Make sure you have one of the drivers stated above or newer.

Q: Does this work with GTX cards?
A: It will work but you won't get any speedup measurements as RTX is not supported.

Q: Does this leverage NV Link?
A: No, the scene in this benchmark will not make use of peer-to-peer memory using NV Link. Future OctaneBench versions will specifically measure NV Link and out of core speeds, as well as denoising speed.

Q: Will you release Linux or OSX builds?
A: We can release them as soon as NVIDIA provides with suitable drivers, no ETA for that at the moment.

Q: When will a version of Octane with full RTX support be released?
A: RTX support is currently planned as an experimental feature in Octane 2019 (with a first integration coming in 2019.2).

Q: What performance boost should I expect?
A: That depends heavily on the scene, we've experienced speedups of up to 5x for best case scenarios, this will be lower with scenes with heavier shading or smaller geometry sizes. For this specific benchmark scene which has 1.7M triangles we have seen figures ranging from 2.5x to 3.x.

Q: Does this new technology affect the quality of the final render?
A: Although it is not directly related to the final quality of your render, using hardware acceleration for ray tracing translates into faster render times so you can render more samples and get a cleaner image in the same amount of time as before.

Q: Do I need to install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update for this to work?
A: No, however the required drivers may require you upgrade to version 1803 (April 2018 Update).

Downloads

RTX OctaneBench 2019 Windows Installer (UPDATED)
RTX OctaneBench 2019 Windows Zip (UPDATED)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: RTX OctaneBench 2019 Preview

Postby sbstnc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:49 am

sbstnc Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:49 am
I don't have any 20xx series cards but would be very interested if someone can make a google doc and start comparing actual render times of production scenes from C4D or Max or whatever.
This "scene specific" is quite vague. How does this affect production environments for film, tv, and other animation works?
Cheers
S
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby michax » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:57 am

michax Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:57 am

Sadly still getting old good 418.* driver error.

Anyhow. Thanks for sharing! Nowadays, any info about true RTX benefit is good news. And 2.5x speedup for pathtracing increases card value so much!
I would also love to see how much faster denoiser is on Tensor Cores, especially on high resolution images where I assume benefit will be most significant. Similarly to RT Cores, where most of benefits
come from high poly scenarios.
michax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby michax » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:07 am

michax Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:07 am
sbstnc wrote:I don't have any 20xx series cards but would be very interested if someone can make a google doc and start comparing actual render times of production scenes from C4D or Max or whatever.
This "scene specific" is quite vague. How does this affect production environments for film, tv, and other animation works?
Cheers
S

Where RTX shines over old approach:
- High poly scenarios. The more triangles you have in your scene, the more benefit you will get. Highest result I saw was for 300 million triangle scene shared on Optix forum, where user got 4.25x improvement over Titan V
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... an-titanv/. I'm planning to do some testing of my own on high poly scenes, will share results.
- Denoising. I don't have any numbers for it but on Optix examples Denoising is very fast. Not sure if it's realtime kind of fast. Will need to check.
- In future, people might use Tensor Cores to teach their raytracing engine how to properly shoot 'random' rays in some scenarios. This could introduce better adaptive sampling.

For small scenes like few indoor boxes, I noticed 1.6x speedup. Which is still quite good. But it's good to remember that for smaller scenes, you will not hit 2.5x advertised by Otoy.
However, if 1 million poly scene brings 2.5x for pathtracing, I'm happy with it!
Last edited by michax on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
michax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nuno1980 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:24 am

nuno1980 Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:24 am
Good! :)

When will PMC kernel back or will new PPM kernel be added?
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 am

sbstnc Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 am
Thanks Michax good to know! Do share when you can.
Without any 20XX series all I can do for now is follow results - which will be a determining factor in a lot of people's purchases I imagine, as currently 20XX cards are pretty overpriced unless RTX is going to have significant benefits.
Eh, they're overpriced anyway. :)
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby michax » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 am

michax Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 am
sbstnc wrote:Eh, they're overpriced anyway. :)

For games only, RTX is just scam to be honest (for now).
DLSS looks horribly blurry. Don't see any benefit to it at the moment in comparison to just lowering your resolution and blurring it. Checkerboarding produces better results then DLSS.
I assume it will get better with time, but for Desktop use it's not even close to being usable.

All games using raycasting atm introduce relatively small cosmetic increase. Reflections have quite bad quality and are very noisy/unstable in battlefield. Also don't improve that much if you don't pay close attention to it.
Global illumination in new Metro indeed improves indoor scenes but again, you need to pay close attention t notice the difference, probably due to map design which wasn't build with realtime GI in mind.

There is huge opportunity for new games to shine, when built around realtime raytracing and denoising. But it's not feasible for AAA developers now to build their games around it (limited userbase, and early technology state).
However, this is great opportunity for indie developers to shine and trace! Quake with raytracing is nice example of what RTX can bring.

I personally cannot wait for strategy games with realtime path tracing incorporated! it seems like perfect scenario due to dynamic nature of a map.
Games with heavy destruction can benefit as well. Imagine shooting hole in your roof and whole room is getting properly lit based on incoming light (probably not fully doable in this generation without heavy temporal gathering).

Offline rendering is another story :) RTX cards were built for us! I hope nvidia will not give up and continue with improvements for RT Cores. I also hope AMD will join them.
michax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Timmaigh! » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Timmaigh! Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:11 pm
michax wrote:
sbstnc wrote:Eh, they're overpriced anyway. :)

For games only, RTX is just scam to be honest (for now).
DLSS looks horribly blurry. Don't see any benefit to it at the moment in comparison to just lowering your resolution and blurring it. Checkerboarding produces better results then DLSS.
I assume it will get better with time, but for Desktop use it's not even close to being usable.

All games using raycasting atm introduce relatively small cosmetic increase. Reflections have quite bad quality and are very noisy/unstable in battlefield. Also don't improve that much if you don't pay close attention to it.
Global illumination in new Metro indeed improves indoor scenes but again, you need to pay close attention t notice the difference, probably due to map design which wasn't build with realtime GI in mind.

There is huge opportunity for new games to shine, when built around realtime raytracing and denoising. But it's not feasible for AAA developers now to build their games around it (limited userbase, and early technology state).
However, this is great opportunity for indie developers to shine and trace! Quake with raytracing is nice example of what RTX can bring.

I personally cannot wait for strategy games with realtime path tracing incorporated! it seems like perfect scenario due to dynamic nature of a map.
Games with heavy destruction can benefit as well. Imagine shooting hole in your roof and whole room is getting properly lit based on incoming light (probably not fully doable in this generation without heavy temporal gathering).

Offline rendering is another story :) RTX cards were built for us! I hope nvidia will not give up and continue with improvements for RT Cores. I also hope AMD will join them.

Agreed about this. Given the relative bad reception of RTX cards and slow sales, probably due to high prices, i hope Nvidia wont re-evaluate and release future gaming series without the RT hardware...since Quadros are out of my budget.

Anyway, since RTX is gonna come with Octane 2019.2, can we have ETA for that? I kinda hope it arrives before the 3000 series cards hit the market.
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby anifex3D » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:06 pm

anifex3D Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:06 pm
WOW! This is awesome 2.84 times faster with the 4 Titan RTX's, 1290.63 OB RTX OFF - 3659.67 OB RTX ON, that is insane. That is like having 15.5 1080 TI's and the whole system is only pulling 1140 watts of power and easily staying cool on air.
Octane RTX Bench2.jpg
Is there a way to Beta test this with our own scenes?
https://anifex.com/ | Win 10 64Bit | i9 - 9920x -128gb ram | 4x RTX Titan 24gb | 3dsMax 2022 Octane Plugin
anifex3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixym » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 pm

pixym Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 pm
These are my benches
Attachments
Pixym_Octane_Bench_2019.jpg
Work Station : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - Intel i9 7980XE (2,6ghz 18 cores / 36 threads) - 32GB - 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
NET RENDER : MB Biostar TB250-BTC Pro - Celeron 2C/2T - Open "Mining" Rig - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7
pixym
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to News & Announcements