Faceting

Forums: Faceting
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Faceting

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Seekerfinder Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:05 pm
Hi Paul,
Turns out Revit has a terrible faceting problem... And I can find no way to increase facets (if someone knows, by all means enlighten me!). The strange thing though is that 'smoothed' for the material is ON in Octane and while it improves it a lot, I still see the facets. I tried setting Triangulation Level to 1 and reloaded the model to no avail.

Any idea why material smoothing does not solve this?

Best,
Seeker

PS: 2 minor bugs...
1. The Triangulation Level field accepts any integer - including greater than 1.
2. The Edges Rounding slider only kicks in at around the 80% mark. But why is it even here if it can not work with Revit?
FACETING.jpg
Faceting
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Faceting

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 am

face_off Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 am
Seeker, there are two option here. 1) The vertices of each polygon are not joined (is in effect, each polygon is a separate mesh object and therefore smoothing is broken). I doubt it is this one....or 2) More likely it is a rayepsilon issue. Try reducing the rayepsilon - since the default is set for larger render areas.

1. The Triangulation Level field accepts any integer - including greater than 1.
I think this config field is only used for Revit 2013, so will not effect how a Revit 2014 or 2015 scene is loaded into Octane.

2. The Edges Rounding slider only kicks in at around the 80% mark. But why is it even here if it can not work with Revit?
Rounded edges requires the polygons of the object to have shared vertices - and Revit does not provide geometry from the Revit scene in this fashion. It generally treats each flat "face" (which might be many polygons) of a Revit object as a separate entity, with separate vertices, so the round edges do not work. If you import an OBJ, and it uses shared vertices, the round edges should work.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:03 am

Seekerfinder Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:03 am
Hi Paul,
face_off wrote:Seeker, there are two option here. 1) The vertices of each polygon are not joined (is in effect, each polygon is a separate mesh object and therefore smoothing is broken). I doubt it is this one....or 2) More likely it is a rayepsilon issue. Try reducing the rayepsilon - since the default is set for larger render areas.
I don't think the vertices are broken. It's created with Revit' Revolve tool, which i think is pretty solid & simple. It's not a rayepsilon issue either since that was the first thing I checked. It turns out that Revit does not allow any control over the vertices count - possibly to save memory? I found a number of others online identifying this issue.

face_off wrote:
I think this config field is only used for Revit 2013, so will not effect how a Revit 2014 or 2015 scene is loaded into Octane.
Should it be removed from future releases if it's redundant?

face_off wrote:
Rounded edges requires the polygons of the object to have shared vertices - and Revit does not provide geometry from the Revit scene in this fashion. It generally treats each flat "face" (which might be many polygons) of a Revit object as a separate entity, with separate vertices, so the round edges do not work. If you import an OBJ, and it uses shared vertices, the round edges should work.
Ah yes. I forgot that Revit can't take advantage of rounded edges. Such a shame since it would be really helpful for archviz.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:12 am

face_off Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:12 am
Seeker - if you still have it - could you send me the .rvt file with that object? I would be interested to better understand why it is rendering as it is.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Seekerfinder Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:06 pm
face_off wrote:Seeker - if you still have it - could you send me the .rvt file with that object? I would be interested to better understand why it is rendering as it is.

Paul

Hi Paul,
It should be the same with any revolved element (in-place family). But I sent you the file by PM anyway.

Cheers,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:47 am

face_off Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:47 am
Seeker - I had a look at that model. In summary, it's material is "Default", and has smoothing OFF. So turning smoothing ON, Set a very low ray epsilon (0.00001), and it renders OK, although because of the way the geometry is constructed - there are a number of different non-connected pieces to that geometry, which create problems. The lid is not connected to the body. And each of the tiers in the base are not connected. Because of these disconnected surfaces, you cannot subd to improve this. As an experiment, export to OCS, then load the exported OBJ into a modelling app - then you can see all the different pieces.

Paul
Attachments
disconnected pieces.png
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 am

Seekerfinder Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 am
Paul,
Thanks for looking into this.

face_off wrote:Seeker - I had a look at that model. In summary, it's material is "Default", and has smoothing OFF.
That's because I copied and copied that element out of the model and pasted into a separate file. As you will see, the image I posted is not the default material and smoothing was ON.[/quote]

face_off wrote:So turning smoothing ON, Set a very low ray epsilon (0.00001), and it renders OK,
I played with ray epsilon but the best result I got was what I posted. I would appreciate if you could post an image of the smoothest render you get on that.

face_off wrote:although because of the way the geometry is constructed - there are a number of different non-connected pieces to that geometry, which create problems. The lid is not connected to the body. And each of the tiers in the base are not connected. Because of these disconnected surfaces, you cannot subd to improve this. As an experiment, export to OCS, then load the exported OBJ into a modelling app - then you can see all the different pieces

That frustrates me. I used the native revolve tool out of Revit. It's a mature modelling application. Why they create poor meshes is beyond me!

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 am

face_off Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 am
I would appreciate if you could post an image of the smoothest render you get on that.
I'm sorry Seeker - I didn't keep a copy of the render or scene.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 am

Seekerfinder Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 am
face_off wrote:
I would appreciate if you could post an image of the smoothest render you get on that.
I'm sorry Seeker - I didn't keep a copy of the render or scene.

Paul

No problem, Paul. You could just create a cylinder using Revit's revolve tool with around a 200mm diameter. I'd like to see the junction between and end face & sides with your recommended settings in Octane.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Revit