OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.05.2 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:59 am

face_off Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:59 am
As you can see by the amount of connections hidden just above the nodes I am playing with, there are an excessive amount of connections.
Hi Chris - what is the node that goes right across the top of the node graph? Is it a Geometry Group or a Mesh node? It might be easier to send me an ORBX so I can see exactly what is happening.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thefishnut » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am

thefishnut Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am
Hi Paul,
what is the node that goes right across the top of the node graph? Is it a Geometry Group or a Mesh node? It might be easier to send me an ORBX so I can see exactly what is happening.

That is the geometry group node, linking the main geometry from revit, and all the geometry that I proxied in revit.
I will send the ORBX fie to you when I get home from work.

Cheers,
Chris.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:58 am

face_off Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:58 am
Thanks Chris - I will wait on your scene before responding in full.

However....as a general rule, the Revit plugin hides all the node mess from you, so you don't have to worry about it. However, if you DO export to OCS/ORBX, the plugin does some cleanup first, and then the Octane library does a great job lying out the nodes so when Standalone opens the file, it should make sense. If you have 1000 materials, there will be 1000 material nodes, connected to the main mesh node - so it will be hard to read.

After separating one of the paths (a tree) and seeing how it has been structured, it seems that is overly complicated in the amount of nodes needed to create the same result.
There are a lot of nodes associated with each proxy - because the rotation, scale and translation needs to happen in the right order.

This tree is one that was being proxied within the revit plugin. Would it be possible to eliminate the excessive transformation and placement nodes during the creating of the ocs? and also the scatter node. As it seems redundant aswell. This proxy wasn't being scattered. And finally, this tree was used multiple times within the project at different scales and rotations, (that I manually entered when assigning the proxy). Rather than have duplicate obj nodes created and then each having their own separate placement node. Can each of the placement nodes simply be connected to the one obj. This would speed up the interface dramatically, and make replacing or editing in the standalone actually possible.
I'll wait to see your scene before commenting on this one.

To me, this is the essence of my need to have the plugin import OCS format proxies. I works a treat in Sketchup and gives us the ability to iterate and use Octane's powerful material editor. It is the best of both worlds.

I know you've said it's not an insignificant feature to implement, but I feel as strong as ever that it could push the Revit plugin to a new level.
There is too much that can go wrong loading an OCS/ORBX as a proxy. The imported file will need to be loaded into the same nodegraph as the current Revit scene - so if the ORBX has a rendertarget node, there will be 2 rendertargets in the root node. Plus, there might be many mesh nodes and geometry group nodes - and the plugin will have no way to know which to use as your proxy. To do this correctly, Otoy could create a new asset class in the LocalDb for meshes, and they could be loaded as proxies from there.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby prehabitat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 pm

prehabitat Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 pm
face_off wrote: To do this correctly, Otoy could create a new asset class in the LocalDb for meshes, and they could be loaded as proxies from there.

Paul

This could be cool :D
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thefishnut » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:01 am

thefishnut Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:01 am
Hi Paul,
I've been battling this error message and I believe it was caused after renaming some materials within the revit library after having assigning an octane material to them, I have renamed them back to what they were originally but to no avail.
error.jpg

Thanks,
Chris.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:20 pm

face_off Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:20 pm
I've been battling this error message and I believe it was caused after renaming some materials within the revit library after having assigning an octane material to them, I have renamed them back to what they were originally but to no avail.
Chris - can you send me the rvt file pls? paul at physicalc-software dot com.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.06 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:41 am

face_off Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:41 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Added option to import a material from an Octane Standalone ORBX file. The ORBX file must have one single material not connected to a mesh in order for the inport to work. This option is available via an addition button next to the LiveDb button on the Materials panel
- Revamped Viewport buttons
- Added Subsampling button to the Viewport
- Added Clay rendering modes to the Viewport
- Added additional debug info to help track down where Octane node is lost from the rvt file. If this happens to you - pls send me the journal file (stored in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\[Revit version]) for that Revit session, AND the .rvt with the missing Octane info.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 am

Seekerfinder Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 am
Great, thanks Paul.

face_off wrote:- Added option to import a material from an Octane Standalone ORBX file. The ORBX file must have one single material not connected to a mesh in order for the inport to work. This option is available via an addition button next to the LiveDb button on the Materials panel
but it can be a complex, multi-node material, right? No other limitations on the material structure?
face_off wrote:- Added Subsampling button to the Viewport
Thanks for that one, Paul.
face_off wrote:- Added Clay rendering modes to the Viewport
Great addition!![/quote]

In was hoping we'll get full ORBX file import at some point, including meshes, no?

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 am

face_off Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 am
but it can be a complex, multi-node material, right? No other limitations on the material structure?
I'm not aware of any limitations. Also check out the following video....

In was hoping we'll get full ORBX file import at some point, including meshes, no?
After the ORBX Material importing is proven 100% robust, and all other issues with the plugin are fixed (including the Octane nodes not being saved), yes, I can look at this.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am

Seekerfinder Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am
face_off wrote:
I'm not aware of any limitations. Also check out the following video....

After the ORBX Material importing is proven 100% robust, and all other issues with the plugin are fixed (including the Octane nodes not being saved), yes, I can look at this.

Paul

Great. My goal remains to be able to use a model from any 3D app, use Octane Standalone's power to texture it and import as a proxy in Revit. Then we're building an ecosystem.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit