How to prevent flicker/artifacting with two coincident polyg

Forums: How to prevent flicker/artifacting with two coincident polyg
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

How to prevent flicker/artifacting with two coincident polyg

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 am

ArchPrime Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 am
I have one semi-transparent (glass) mesh that is boolean substracted from a lower terrain mesh
This means that the base of glass mesh object exactly fits the top of terrain mesh object , so there are two coincident polygons, with different materials defining the junction of the two.

How do I prevent shadows and flickering appearing at the interface of the two adjacent meshes as a result?

I cannot either separate or push the two meshes together so that they no longer share a surface - because the junction is (and needs to be) live - per ArchiCAD normal SEO methodology. If I adjust the terrain, I want the glass to automatically follow.

Is there a materials based solution?
Octane Render for ArchiCAD 22 plugin v4.x | Octane Standalone 4.x
( 2x Nvidia 980 Ti) x 6MB VRAM | Intel I7 4470K | 32GB RAM | Windows 10
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to prevent flicker/artifacting with two coincident polyg

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:18 am

ArchPrime Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:18 am
Note, a workaround (not at all ideal) in ArchiCAD , when the glass mesh is a CADimage site planning envelope, is to review the boolean operations on the glass mesh, and delete the one where the main ground mesh is subtracted from glass mesh. This removes the coincident polygons issue in Octane, but it also messes up linework where the cut line of glass envelope should be showing as it follows ground mesh top surface.

Really looking for a more elegant solution
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am

face_off Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am
You can try reducing the Ray Epsilon to the lowest value possible (but that might cause artifacts in other parts of the scene). Unfortunately you need to avoid having vertices with the same position which belong to 2 different objects, otherwise you will get these artifacts.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 am

ArchPrime Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 am
face_off wrote:You can try reducing the Ray Epsilon to the lowest value possible (but that might cause artifacts in other parts of the scene). Unfortunately you need to avoid having vertices with the same position which belong to 2 different objects, otherwise you will get these artifacts.

Paul

Thanks Paul.
I had tried that, but no improvement - the shadows just changed position.

This issue seems to come up often in one form or another, so it would be great if there was a way for Octane to ignore or switch off coincident polygons, using materials priority to decide which ones get switched off. Appreciate this feature may not want to be switched on by default, given the processing time required to detect coincident polygons.
Have other gaming engines perhaps solved this problem already? - these days I notice flickering is quite uncommon in 3D games, and assume not all of that is down to perfect modelling - if so, would Cuda cores be good at handling this?
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

face_off Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm
I think vertices in the same position in a game would be unlikely. Given the float point precision, it is incredibly hard to have vertices in the same position, unless you actually duplicate the vertices (which is what is happening in this case). It is an issue you would need to take up with OTOY, since it is a core render engine problem.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 am

ArchPrime Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 am
Hi Paul. I think having exactly matching vertices would be a special (and rare) case, but having co-planar (or even near co-planar) polygons more generally that results in problems is not so uncommon.

I recall seeing flickering in 3D games when this used to occur through some error of modelling, but not so much in recent years - hence my speculation that some method exists to automatically detect or suppress them.

Will post a request to Otoy developers.
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel_Ward » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 am

Daniel_Ward Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 am
PK,

in this case you could potentially add a simple mid-grey image into the displacement channel of the "soil" material and give it a 1mm displacement value so that it would get pushed/pulled away from the intersecting face of the glass volumes you've used to do your boolean operations? You'll just need to look at the +/- direction the faces move in as well as the mid-level values to make sure you don't get opening corners in the soil material as a result. Also, you'll need to "Follow the Smoothed" normal, and make sure you're welding the vertices.

Cheers, Dan.
+MAP Architects, Christchurch - New Zealand
ArchiCAD 4.12 - ArchiCAD 24 || Octane for ArchiCAD
i7-7700K - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 - 32Gb RAM - 3x Gigibyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming - Window 10 64Bit
Daniel_Ward
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchPrime » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:06 am

ArchPrime Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:06 am
Daniel_Ward wrote:PK,

in this case you could potentially add a simple mid-grey image into the displacement channel of the "soil" material and give it a 1mm displacement value so that it would get pushed/pulled away from the intersecting face of the glass volumes you've used to do your boolean operations? You'll just need to look at the +/- direction the faces move in as well as the mid-level values to make sure you don't get opening corners in the soil material as a result. Also, you'll need to "Follow the Smoothed" normal, and make sure you're welding the vertices.

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks Dan - sounds like a promising idea.
ArchPrime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD