how and what to transfer to other computer

Forums: how and what to transfer to other computer
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

how and what to transfer to other computer

Postby rappet » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm

rappet Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm
Hi Paul,

Maybe you have some hints and tips for this:

I want to make another PC my main workstation.
I will copy all library files (i.e. the OBJ files and texture files).
The harddisks may have other Drive letters (ie. Library was on D and will on E).

Do you have any thoughts about what to think of for this transfer related to working with Octane/Archicad plugin?
(such as the saved oam files... will they be of use when the textures ar located differently?)

greetings, Jeroen
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: how and what to transfer to other computer

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:51 am

face_off Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:51 am
Hi Jeroen

The immediate issue would be the material defaults in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD\Defaults. You AC Library will need to be on the same drive letter - since all you defaults have the absolute file path to the AC library in them. I use symbolic links to get around this. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Also, copy across you Live Db Texturemap folder, and make sure it is the same absolute path on the second PC. And specify that path in the Configuration (as the LiveDb Texturemap path). Again, you can set up a symbolic link to handle that.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: how and what to transfer to other computer

Postby rappet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 am

rappet Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 am
face_off wrote:Hi Jeroen

The immediate issue would be the material defaults in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for ArchiCAD\Defaults. You AC Library will need to be on the same drive letter - since all you defaults have the absolute file path to the AC library in them. I use symbolic links to get around this. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Also, copy across you Live Db Texturemap folder, and make sure it is the same absolute path on the second PC. And specify that path in the Configuration (as the LiveDb Texturemap path). Again, you can set up a symbolic link to handle that.

Paul

Thanx Paul,
Very interesting about these symbolic links and handy!
Cheers,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD