OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino 2.16 [STABLE]

Postby Bendbox » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Bendbox Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:03 pm
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help, it didn't occur to me to put the viewport into rendered view. Rhino's displacement is a huge pain. The only time I'd use this animation feature is when doing an animation with a pool, which I actually have coming up in the next few weeks.

Hopefully, they will improve some things in Bongo and it will be easier to work with Octane in the future. Overall it actually works really well, there are just a few key features that require bouncing into the stand alone for, and it's much easier to stay in one package. I know Physics Simulation is on the list for Bongo 3. They also put camera controls on the list, so hopefully in the future it will be possible to do Camera Animation with Octane and Bongo.

Do you happen to know if the Octane Standalone is capable of animating Octane material properties? I mean internally within the Stand Alone, not with material animation data coming from another package. I'm really rusty on the stand alone. Specifically, light color and intensity, and displacement on Octane materials (not exported Rhino materials like in the ship file). The reason I ask, is that I'm trying to avoid having to use Rhino materials in the scene. The displacement is poor and the light intensity for emitters is as well. If I could export these scenes to the Stand Alone with Octane's Material Displacement and Emitters and then animate those material elements in the Stand Alone it would be a time saver.

Also, one more question -- I'm assuming that in order for you to be able to make it where Octane Material Properties could be animated within Rhino with Bongo, that Bongo or Rhino would have to change the type of code it's created in (as it sounded like it from your previous notes). Is this correct? If so, I know that will never happen -- however, I wasn't sure if there was some type of work around, like a script or something that Rhino could load to make Bongo "understand" the Octane materials and thus be animated. I know I'm probably just dreaming, not sure how all this works, just thinking and wishing . . .

Thanks Again Paul.
Win10x64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / 64g RAM / 2 x RTX 3090
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 pm

face_off Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 pm
Do you happen to know if the Octane Standalone is capable of animating Octane material properties?
Octane Standalone does not support animation of material properties/pins - sorry. You need to go to a full animation package plugin to do this (3ds, modo, c4d, lw).

They also put camera controls on the list, so hopefully in the future it will be possible to do Camera Animation with Octane and Bongo.
Can you animate the camera position and target in Bongo? If so, the latest release of the Octane plugin might help (since you can sync the Octane focus distance to the Rhino camera position-to-target distance.

Also, one more question -- I'm assuming that in order for you to be able to make it where Octane Material Properties could be animated within Rhino with Bongo, that Bongo or Rhino would have to change the type of code it's created in (as it sounded like it from your previous notes). Is this correct? If so, I know that will never happen -- however, I wasn't sure if there was some type of work around, like a script or something that Rhino could load to make Bongo "understand" the Octane materials and thus be animated. I know I'm probably just dreaming, not sure how all this works, just thinking and wishing . . .
I don't think this will be possible - because there is no way for Bongo to know what fields there are in an Octane material. So you must animate a Rhino material.

Keep in mind the Rhino is intended as a modelling package, not a fully-fledged animation application - so you are hitting the limits of what it is capable in the animation area.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby formatio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:00 am

formatio Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:00 am
Keep in mind the Rhino is not intended as a modelling package [...]

I strongly disagree :)
formatio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 am

face_off Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 am
Oooops - that "not" was not meant to be there! I've edited the post above.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby formatio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:19 pm

formatio Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:19 pm
Hey:)

I have found an issue.

The materials tab gets empty when I assign a specular material to any geometry. Not sure if this happens every time the assignment is taking place, but definitely only with specular material. Usually it happen very often. At least once per session.

After the assignment the material tab/window looks like this - see attachment.

Rendering and everything works fine. The only way to make it normal again is to restart rhino.

If I have another rhino instance opened in the same time, then in it material tab works and looks fine.

Now to work with materials after this bug I have to open floating preview of selected material (which works fine) and double click it to open new window with only this material to edit. This window has exclusive focus, so it has to be closed to do anything else in rhino.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Mac
Attachments
material-tab.JPG
formatio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby formatio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:01 pm

formatio Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:01 pm
Hey :)

Here it is - select material and press "escape" - everything in materials tab disappears.

Regards.
Mac
formatio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:51 pm

face_off Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:51 pm
Hi Mac - I cannot reproduce this error. However it sounds like it could be related to the bug where Rhino locks up when switching from the docked Material tab to the OctaneRender tab. When you undock the Materials tab - can you edit the Octane material in the undocked window? Can you edit Rhino materials after this occurs?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby formatio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 pm

formatio Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 pm
Hi paul,
I docked and undocked material tab and it never gave me any issues.

But after pressing escape (while material selected and material tab focused) the content of material tab disappears, no matter if docked or not, and neither rhino nor octane material could be edited.

Regards,
Mac
formatio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Bendbox » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:49 am

Bendbox Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:49 am
face_off wrote:Can you animate the camera position and target in Bongo? If so, the latest release of the Octane plugin might help (since you can sync the Octane focus distance to the Rhino camera position-to-target distance.

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply to your question above -- I inquired about this on the Bongo Forum, and have just gotten a reply. They sent me to this link:
http://bongo.rhino3d.com/page/view-animation

It discusses being able to animate the target and camera if you scroll on down a bit. Does this answer your question and mean that the latest Octane version can sync to this and thus create the possibility for us to animate the camera focus?

Thanks,
Ryan
Win10x64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / 64g RAM / 2 x RTX 3090
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:20 am

face_off Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:20 am
But after pressing escape (while material selected and material tab focused) the content of material tab disappears, no matter if docked or not, and neither rhino nor octane material could be edited.
Hi Mac. Which SR of Rhino are you on? Also, does resetting your Rhino UI (through the Rhino Options->Toolbars->Restore Defaults) fix the problem?

It discusses being able to animate the target and camera if you scroll on down a bit. Does this answer your question and mean that the latest Octane version can sync to this and thus create the possibility for us to animate the camera focus?
Yes, the latest version should now provide that functionality Ryan.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Rhinoceros 3D