Increasing Bump and/or Normal strength

Forums: Increasing Bump and/or Normal strength
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Increasing Bump and/or Normal strength

Postby gordonrobb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 am

gordonrobb Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 am
I am trying to convert a model I have that uses some fairly complex layering of bum maps.

In Lightwave, you can increase the effect of the bump quite a bit and it works really well.

I have sussed out how to increase the effect of the bump in Octane's nodes, however, I get that crappy problem with the shadow terminators being solid (Aaargh).

So, I think, convert the bump maps to Normal maps.

Done that, now trying to figure out how to increase the effect of the normal map.

Have tried increasing the Power, changing the Gamma in the Texture Node. Have plugged in a Colourcorrect node (how I increased the bump strength). That actually makes the normal dissappear.

Help, what do I need to do to get a good looking bump, that I can increase way beyond 1. I have the thing that will convert bumps to normals, but then how do I increase the Normal strength. Help.

I'm posting this in the general forum also.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D