Export Animation to Standalone

Forums: Export Animation to Standalone
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Export Animation to Standalone

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:52 am

Hesekiel2517 Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:52 am
Hey Paul,

now and then i try to export an animation to standalone. But often i cancel the progress because its really really slow. Sometimes i'm under the impression that the export progress is longer than the actual rendering. Also the resulting Files are really really huge.

Today i tried to export a 1500 Frame long Animation to Vray Standalone. It took 3 minutes and the file is not bigger than the Modo Scenefile.

Do you see a way to improve this? Thanks in advance!
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Export Animation to Standalone

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 am

face_off Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 am
Octane is exporting as an Alembic ABC file, which is what is taking all the time. Each vertex is stored in the ABC for each frame. I'm not sure there is much I can do about this - sorry. That only thing I can think if is a) write to an SSD, and b) remove all static items, and export those (as a single frame) to a separate ORBX, and merge the two ORBX files in the Standalone.

paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Hesekiel2517 Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:11 pm
Hey Paul,

thank you for answering so quickly. I already use a very fast ssd, but even with small scenes its unusable slow. Wouldn't it be possible to treat the animated meshes like a replicator: Generate an animated point cache and the mesh and use them with the scatter node. I'm no programmer, but i hope there is a smarter option than to export every Point every Frame.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:46 am

face_off Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:46 am
Wouldn't it be possible to treat the animated meshes like a replicator: Generate an animated point cache and the mesh and use them with the scatter node. I'm no programmer, but i hope there is a smarter option than to export every Point every Frame.
Using this approach would result in an mesh deformations being lost, so I don't think it would be a viable solution. There is no easy way for a plugin to know if the vertices of a mesh have changed between frames (other than comparing every vertex position). So the Octane API provides a function where the entire animation (every vertex of every frame) gets exported.

If the Replicator prototypes are not changing, you could try simply opening the Viewport, and then octane.showNodeGraph, and locate the Scatter node. If you copy that node into the clipboard, and then paste it into Octane Standalone. You will notice that the entire animated timeline will be loaded into Standalone, and as you scrub the timeline, the transforms in the scatter will change. Obviously this won't work unless there are the same number of transforms in the Scatter node for each time in the timeline.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm
Hi Paul,

b) remove all static items, and export those (as a single frame) to a separate ORBX, and merge the two ORBX files in the Standalone.

I'm using this approach a lot and it's works fine (most of the time only the camera is animated and this reduces the export time from hours to seconds). It is tedious though. Would it be possible to automate this. So that the plugin separates the animated from the static objects, export them and merge them in the end?

Most of the time the save.Animation command is just useless, because the export times are ridiculous. There is a lot of promotion of RNDR at the moment, so i think it should be easier to export ready to render orbx files.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Also i have another featurerequest :)

You can set up a render queue in Standalone to render multiple orbx files automatically with renderjobs. This is really useful if you have a lot of short shots to render and want to render them overnight. Setting this up is not difficult, but it would be very cool if this could be set up directly in modo.

So for example i have 10 shots stored in actions (don't know if this is the right place) with different frameranges and settings. There could be a command like "add to renderqueue" and "export renderqueue" to set up and generate the .orc file with everything already set up.

Since there is no feature like this in the plugin this would be really great.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:44 am

Hesekiel2517 Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:44 am
I'm in the middle of a project and again the octane.saveAnimation command takes more time than rendering. Exporting is so incredible slow. It's a very basic animation, but very heavy meshes. Would it be possible to have a checkbox on the mesh to set the mesh to a rigid or deforming object? So that the plugin doesn't need to export every single point every single frame and could just write the transforms?
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am

face_off Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am
Hesekiel2517 wrote:I'm in the middle of a project and again the octane.saveAnimation command takes more time than rendering. Exporting is so incredible slow. It's a very basic animation, but very heavy meshes. Would it be possible to have a checkbox on the mesh to set the mesh to a rigid or deforming object? So that the plugin doesn't need to export every single point every single frame and could just write the transforms?
Which version of the plugin are you using please?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:47 am

Hesekiel2517 Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:47 am
Hey Paul,

thank you for answering so quickly! I use the most recent stable version. The Plugin is really great, but i often have the same issues:

Export Animation and no Distribution input on the Arealights. If these could be resolved, the plugin would be nearly perfect.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am

face_off Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Hey Paul,

thank you for answering so quickly! I use the most recent stable version. The Plugin is really great, but i often have the same issues:

Export Animation and no Distribution input on the Arealights. If these could be resolved, the plugin would be nearly perfect.
I really need to know the version number please before I can provide answers to support questions.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo