Freezes on sequence render

Forums: Freezes on sequence render
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Freezes on sequence render

Postby GOTHACOM » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:45 pm

GOTHACOM Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:45 pm
Hello,
I'm currently rendering a 375 frames sequence in Octane for modo (build 190 on modo 16.1v7 Windows10): it takes roughly 8/9 minutes per frame, but after 1 hour of rendering, modo freezes for 20-60 minutes, then comes back to life, renders a pair of frames back at 8/9 minutes per frame, then freezes again, and so on. It looks like the freeze happens between frame completion and file saving. Despite my data used to be located on a network drive, I have currently moved it on my local drive.
Analyzing modo.exe process wait chain in task manager, it says 2 threads are waiting for something network-i/o-related to finish (look attachment).

My question is: is there something octane-related that is scheduled to happen after 1 hour of usage (for example license checking) that may block my renders?

G
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
GOTHACOM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Freezes on sequence render

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:06 am

face_off Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:06 am
I am no aware of any processes that occur at this time interval. However, I believe the Octane will check that it is authenticated at regular intervals, so make sure you have a constant internet connection. And if you have anything network related, copy to a local drive (SSD not HD) to ensure the network is not dropping out and causing the issue. Also make sure you are saving to an SSD, and make sure it has plenty of space.

I also see Modo is using 83GB of RAM - perhaps you are running out of memory?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Freezes on sequence render

Postby GOTHACOM » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:50 am

GOTHACOM Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:50 am
Thanks for the answer Paul.
Yeah, I already moved all my data to the local drive, no resources on the network. And there are no problems with RAM (scene occupation is high because of meshed RealFlow simulations that modo keeps in memory for all frames: luckily I have 128GB and they fit well); graphic cards memory isn't an issue as well, the stats on Octane viewport say I still have a good amount of memory free.

Anyway, renders are currently working, and I think the issue was because of a "corrupted" scene file: I imported that file into an empty scene, setup Octane to match its settings, and currently I have a consistent 9/10 minutes rendertime per frame with no delays... let's cross our fingers it continues till the end.

Thanks again Paul, have a wonderful Sunday!

G
GOTHACOM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo