Ocatne with MODO 801

Forums: Ocatne with MODO 801
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Ocatne with MODO 801

Postby cuffi » Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 am

cuffi Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 am
face_off wrote:I have added some Modo801 specific info to the manual. http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Modo/?page_id=959. Thanks to Funk for the content.

Paul

Hi Paul,

if we set the color management like you described, we lost all the benefits of it. We have to manually adjust the gamma of image textures furthermore to 1/2.2 like in 701 if we don't set 8-bit and 16-bit to sRGB. Are these settings affecting how the Octane for MODO plugin handles the gamma of image textures? In 701 I get correct results in Octane regardless of the gamma settings in MODO...

René
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | GTX780 Ti | GTX 560 TI | Driver Version 337.88 | Intel Core i7 3930K 6x 3,2 GHz | 32 GB RAM
Web: http://www.mentalarts.com
cuffi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 am

funk Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 am
Cuffi I had similar questions for Paul, but after we discussed how octane works, I realised we can't use MODOs color management.
Octane is loading textures directly from disk (bypassing any modo processing, including OCIO). Modo simply passes a filename and other relevant parameters (eg gamma) to the plugin. So essentially these OCIO settings turn off automatic color correction for input textures, so the plugin works exactly as it does in 701.

About the camera imager settings:
Paul also asked me if he could use my camera imager settings in the manual. I simply set up values that VISUALLY match modo's default final color output. This lets us test how closely octane is matching modo's output. You don't have to use those settings. These settings are completely optional but I prefer to work this way because I output LINEAR (Untonemapped EXR), which ignores all camera response settings anyway. If you decide to use those settings, textures you degamma in modo (1/2.2) will appear the same in the octane viewport too.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cuffi » Mon May 05, 2014 8:11 am

cuffi Mon May 05, 2014 8:11 am
funk wrote:Cuffi I had similar questions for Paul, but after we discussed how octane works, I realised we can't use MODOs color management.
Octane is loading textures directly from disk (bypassing any modo processing, including OCIO). Modo simply passes a filename and other relevant parameters (eg gamma) to the plugin. So essentially these OCIO settings turn off automatic color correction for input textures, so the plugin works exactly as it does in 701.

Yes, that was what I assumed because the color management settings in 801 did not affect the Octane render in any way...So it should make no difference for the Octane plugin if the 8-bit and 16-bit colorspaces are set to sRGB? With this, there is no need for degammaing (funny word... :) ) the image textures in and for MODO and the Octane Plugin will read the textures as usual with gamma 1.0, right? Or did you mean we have to set the OCIO to nuke-default only to switch the color management off for input textures to get the right gamma in Octane? I am a little bit confused... ;)

funk wrote:About the camera imager settings:
Paul also asked me if he could use my camera imager settings in the manual. I simply set up values that VISUALLY match modo's default final color output. This lets us test how closely octane is matching modo's output. You don't have to use those settings. These settings are completely optional but I prefer to work this way because I output LINEAR (Untonemapped EXR), which ignores all camera response settings anyway. If you decide to use those settings, textures you degamma in modo (1/2.2) will appear the same in the octane viewport too.

I saw the camera imager settings in the manual not knowing they're coming from you...Well done! I saw many posts from you in the Lux Forums and I really hope you will be part of the closed beta for the 2. version of the plugin... :!:

René

EDIT: I did miss the 2.0 Testing thread. Now Paul has giving me a hint I see you are still there... :)
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | GTX780 Ti | GTX 560 TI | Driver Version 337.88 | Intel Core i7 3930K 6x 3,2 GHz | 32 GB RAM
Web: http://www.mentalarts.com
cuffi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Mon May 05, 2014 1:06 pm

funk Mon May 05, 2014 1:06 pm
cuffi wrote:Yes, that was what I assumed because the color management settings in 801 did not affect the Octane render in any way...So it should make no difference for the Octane plugin if the 8-bit and 16-bit colorspaces are set to sRGB? With this, there is no need for degammaing (funny word... :) ) the image textures in and for MODO and the Octane Plugin will read the textures as usual with gamma 1.0, right?

Correct. You can obviously work any way you want. If you leave color correction on in Modo, you textures in modo preview will look different from your octane viewport. If that doesnt bother you, then go ahead and leave all the MODO 801 defaults as they are.

cuffi wrote: Or did you mean we have to set the OCIO to nuke-default only to switch the color management off for input textures to get the right gamma in Octane? I am a little bit confused... ;)

The settings we are changing in OCIO have no effect on Octane. As I said earlier, Octane is loading textures directly from disk and bypassing any modo processing, including OCIO.

We only turn off the color correction so what you see in your modo preview is what you will get in octane.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo