OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.08 TEST 6

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.08 TEST 6
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.08 TEST 6 [latest 3.xx]

Postby renderingz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am

renderingz Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am
Notiusweb in 2050 with his grankids waiting for octane 4;

Notiusweb wrote:Otoy - keep on rocking with the great approach and product you have always given us!
I remember looking forward to 3.0, it was very exciting, and now even more so as things get closer to V4.
Looking forward to the great things coming our way.

in the meantime

https://twitter.com/Pgoski/status/952937511860482050

https://twitter.com/albertomoss/status/ ... 3271091200

plenty more like this... but yeah keep up the 'great approach'!
Win `10/ Cinema 4D R17 / 2 x 780 GTX 6GB + 2 x 980ti
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leehenshall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

leehenshall Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am
Some info here about a potential imminent release.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=64382&p=331331#p331331
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Notiusweb Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 pm
I'm going to outright ask this.
Why in the F*&# do people keep evoking Redshift as this amazing renderer that tops Octane?

I looked back at an earlier post I had written on the subject:

Notiusweb wrote:I will comment on Redshift, as they have a free demo.
Hmmmm...Where do I start....

1) They don't have a core application, or at least it's not very clear that they do have one? It only exists as a plugin, for apps that Octane has plugins for......+1 Octane...scratch that, +20 Octane
2) You always see mini res renders online....Look how fast Redshift is!...Right?.....RIGHT!!???......WRONG....1080p is slow, not any advancement that I can tell vs Octane...Faster, NO....+1 Octane
3) Stability...all the thing does is kick back notifications on "this material has this problem, that material has this problem....", for what seems like no reason. STFU! With Octane, it just renders and keeps its mouth shut!...+1 Octane
4) Setting up lighting takes multiple steps, like Octane. But if coming from Octane, this just means added work, for no reason, as there is really no benefit...."Brute Force"! I love that name, though....but, still....+1 Octane

5) This...THIS is my favorite of all...
But in Redshift you can use any amount of GPU's....right?...RIGHT!!!???
WRONG..
8 per session...
But you can stack sessions, right? That's like saying Titan Z (2 x 6GB VRAM) is just like Titan X (12GB VRAM)......
...NO

In a word, RedShift is BullShift, minus the "f"....
Octane buries that piece of garbage...Try it...then please, give me a break....!

Did something new come out, does it have some abilities that Octane lacks?
What are they?
Just what in the F&^% are they!?
:twisted:
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby renderingz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:37 am

renderingz Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:37 am
Yeah I guess all these industry veterans are just noobs.

You asked for it

Major renderfarm support

Single license gives access to plugins across all available DCCs

Out for core geo (no gpu ram limit)

actual working round corners

view dependant LOD displacement tesselation

https://twitter.com/PolygonSandwich/sta ... 1417939968

https://twitter.com/PolygonSandwich/sta ... 9423514624

https://twitter.com/PolygonSandwich/sta ... 5357770752

Developers that engage with the community and put out builds on a weekly or shorter basis

These are just a few off the top of my head.

I personally think redshift looks garbage, but feel like I'm gonna have to be forced to switch.

Competition is good by the way.
Win `10/ Cinema 4D R17 / 2 x 780 GTX 6GB + 2 x 980ti
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Notiusweb Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm
renderingz wrote:Yeah I guess all these industry veterans are just noobs.

I personally think redshift looks garbage...

Competition is good by the way.

For me, the most competitive thing Octane continually does, over time, is innovate new ways to render.
I haven't seen a better bridge for a renderer between standalone and plugins, opens up so many possibilities.
This approach to me makes them the premiere rendering toolset.
I agree rendering accuracy by the engine is crucial to the product's worth.

We are the industry veterans, and we use Octane.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby khdownes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 pm

khdownes Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 pm
I've had to use Redshift for the last few month (just because the company I'm working for uses it), and I actually really hate using it compared to octane.

The one main selling point that I've heard from people is that Octane is really unstable, while redshift is rock solid and memory efficient.
I have no idea where this impression came from because I had to upgrade to 64gb of ram just to get redshift maya to start without eating all the ram and crashing my PC. And I can't get the IPR to run for longer than 5 or 6 minutes without crashing C4D. Dropping down to one GPU has made it slightly more stable.
And the IPR viewer is WAY less responsive and stable than octane (and SLOW, and often keeps restarting render even when you don't touch anything, so it's hard to get a cleared up view of what you're doing). I feel like my workflow has slowed down back to what it was like using vray or standard render, where you'd make a minor change, wait 5 minutes to see if there's a difference, make another minor change etc. Basically defeats the purpose of being a fast/responsive GPU renderer.

Octane by comparison absolutely blows it away on those front; fast and responsive and, by comparison, stable/doesn't crash very often unless you're throwing lots of 8k displacement maps at it and constantly shifting/changing them with the Liveviewer running/trying to keep up.

But the one thing MAJOR thing that octane is missing, and I think is most peoples gripe with it as a production renderer, is light linking, including/excluding objects from a lights, and excluding objects from reflections/refractions/casting shadows.
That's a MASSIVE oversight in my opinion. I need to do that in almost every project I work on, and end up having to find a work around in octane, or have to do two different renders and combine them with mattes. And it's something that doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to implement in an unbiased renderer (I'm no software engineer though).

Also redshift is nice that you can build and combine multiple different materials entirely within a single materials shader graph, whereas in Octane C4D you have to make separate materials then use a third mix material to combine them, and very quickly your project become really messy and unmanageable because you have so many materials all linking back and forward to each other. (and you have to do that a lot since you can't have both subsurface scattering, and glossy reflections in the one octane material).
khdownes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 am

Goldorak Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 am
renderingz wrote:This is the roadmap that was recently discussed by Jules on a brograph podcast - no idea why we don't have this kind of information post on the forums but whatever;

Octane Roadmap:
3.08: Major update is OSL (Open Shading Language) shaders, final test build should be ready by next week (Week 7)
3.09: Mostly about AI denoiser, can reduce 20,000 samples to just 200 samples in a best-case scenario; beta in users' hands by February. The denoiser has access to Octane buffers even before going out to the render passes; can check for material roughness, subpixel arrangement, etc., to incorporate all the relevant data into the denoising algorithm
3.10: Minor release, mainly bug fixes
V4 = Octane merged with Brigade (game engine API) scene graph, "load times just go away", preview/announcement at GTC. "I don't want Octane to be anything but unbiased -- -- but if we were to look at biased rendering at all, it's all about real-time, 120 FPS in VR. With V4, you do have the ability to do RT dynamic stuff."

The next 3.08 build coming out shortly has most of the planned 3.09 feature development added to it (short of the AI denoiser) - including volumetric AOVs, Volta support, final improvements to new material (sheen, 3 channels for IOR etc.).

The Denoiser is experimental (and needs 200 MB deep learning DLL at the moment), and we felt it best to get as many of the other features planned for 3.09 into the 3.08 stable release that before rolling this out.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby milanm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 am

milanm Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 am
@khdownes

Totally agree with you.

But IMHO, in Octane, even workarounds are more fun than Redshift 8-)

Two area lights + two HDR maps affecting two different materials live in C4DOctane 3.07 LiveViewer. Plus ability to crossfade between the two. Available as a separate 'take' in the take system. No OSL here.

Regards
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MildMustard » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am

MildMustard Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am
I don't know what you guys were testing with Redshift, but comparing Octane Interior and Redshift... I am able to do a 3000x2000 render CLEAN within 4 to 9min so far. (Bucket Mode) I don't care that it cheats, time is money ;) I am very eagerly awaiting denoiser in octane to see quality and how quickly it performs, because I do prefer Octane... but I can't deny Redshift speeds any longer.
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am

Elvissuperstar007 Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases