OctaneRender for Blender plugin product dev wanted

Forums: OctaneRender for Blender plugin product dev wanted
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

OctaneRender for Blender plugin product dev wanted

Postby radiance » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 am

radiance Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 am
Hi all,

Many of you are dreaming of a really tight, integrated version of OctaneRender for blender,
similar to how iRay integrates into 3DS Max.

W have already received nearly a dozen applications for licensing our new SDK for a collaborative plugin development license, but none for blender., which is explained below.
You can read more about the plugin development license here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8785
Anyone interested, or would like to receive an infosheet about the SDK plugin program specifications, you can inquire with us by sending a mail to [email protected]. (please don't send PMs to me or our other employees, you will get a quicker answer via mail to our sdk address)

We really would like to find someone who would like to get into the collaborative plugin development program,
and develop a tightly integrated (like iRay in 3DS Max) octane plugin product for Blender.
It is also a very lucrative thing for the developer as 60% of the plugin sale goes to the developer, and the SDK license is at no cost to the developer.

We would need someone who is proficient with C/C++, 3D graphics development and knowledge of Blender, and it's C/C++ DNA/RNA API.

If nobody on the forum is interested in applying, maybe It could be very helpful if some of our regular Blenderheads here who frequent other Blender related forums could make a post or more on those forums to see if we can find the right person for this job.

One of the problems with developing a plugin for blender is the GPL licensing issue.
You cannot link a non-GPL (commercial) DLL/SO library into a GPL software, it would violate the GPL license.

I am sure there are ways to do it though, by writing an intermediate layer that you link into blender, that is LGPL licensed, and then communicates to octane via our linked in API, or through a socket or pipe.
Some research is required into a feasible mechanism, but it can definately be done.

Many Thanks, I hope we can find a solution to the license issue and find a suitable person to do the plugin,
Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Re: OctaneRender for Blender plugin product dev wanted

Postby MadMinstrel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:54 am

MadMinstrel Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:54 am
Great to see something happening. I posted this on blenderartists, most of the blender devs visit that forum at least once in a while. Cheers! :D
Win 7 x64 | Geforce GTX295 | Quad 2.4GHz | 4GB
MadMinstrel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixelrush » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 pm

pixelrush Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 pm
Sorry to say I think its most likely many Blender users will pick up using Cycles officially due in 2.61 in December. However there will be a few who are doing commercial work who will stick with it and appreciate a plugin.
Someone may be interested in coding it on a private basis but I am doubtful the community at large will become involved.
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby steveps3 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:44 pm

steveps3 Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:44 pm
I might be able to knock you something up in COBOL? Yes, you read that right, you are looking at a COBOL programmer right here.
(HW) Intel i7 2600k, 16GB DDR3, MSI 560GTX ti (2GB) x 3
(SW) Octane (1.50) Blender (2.70) (exporter 2.02)
(OS) Windows 7(64)
steveps3
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 am

JimStar Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 am
Ooops! :)
If you had said that a month earlier - I'd rather choose to write integration in blender due to my wife works in it...:D
But already a big work is done for "you know what", so now I must finish it...
I hope someone will do this integration, it's very needed, Octane has more important features than Cycles, IMHO. If nobody will be found - perhaps I can think about it after I finish current work...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby radiance » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 am

radiance Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 am
JimStar wrote:Ooops! :)
If you had said that a month earlier - I'd rather choose to write integration in blender due to my wife works in it...:D
But already a big work is done for "you know what", so now I must finish it...
I hope someone will do this integration, it's very needed, Octane has more important features than Cycles, IMHO. If nobody will be found - perhaps I can think about it after I finish current work...

Ont worry, the one you are doing is MUCH more in demand and will be much more successfull.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby theCreativeMind » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 pm

theCreativeMind Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 pm
Would be really nice to see OcanteRender for Blender soon... Is There a roadmap for the dev for other 3d softwares?

Keep up the good work! Thx.
iMac 27" | OSX 10.8.2 | Nvidia GTX 680mx 2GB | Core [email protected] GHz | 32GB
----
vis4arch.architecture.cad.design.illustration.3d.visualization.photo montage.animation
----
theCreativeMind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Faizol » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 am

Faizol Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 am
Hi everyone,

a suggestion to Refractive Team,

If there's no developer willing to make a closed source Blender plugin that communicates with Octane directly because of GPL license limitation, I would suggest to implement Alembic (BSD licensed) support into Octane. That way animations can be rendered directly from within the stand alone Octane version. Material then can be done directly within Octane.

my 0.02 cents
Fedora 17 | 16 GB RAM | Quadro 4000 | driver = nvidia 304.xx & CUDA 4.0
Faizol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Alain » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 pm

Alain Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 pm
Good to hear that you do some efford to put Octane and Blender "together" :-)

Kind regards
Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX Titan 8GB, Blender 2.72b, Win 7 64 Bit
Alain
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby xsitian » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 pm

xsitian Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 pm
Yes, the blender plugin is really great, we will definlly want it!
xsitian
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Blender