Octane Exporter not functioning

Forums: Octane Exporter not functioning
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Octane Exporter not functioning

Postby cropkaarchitects » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 pm

cropkaarchitects Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 pm
I have used v 1024-05 for a while and had no problems until suddenly the exporter went crazy - the exporter's window has no text descriptions and I cannot select anything from the drop down menus. I have tried reinstallation - no luck. Used old versions - same thing. Any ideas what might be causing that? :?
Attachments
octane exporter.jpg
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Exporter not functioning

Postby TIG » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:36 am

TIG Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:36 am
Someone else had a similar issue and that was why v05 was issued.
There problem arose because their MAC was running a new version of Safari that was very strict and would work adding the text to the dialog in the previous code version as I was treating part of the 'innerHTML' as an 'attribute' when it's actually a 'property' - older versions of Safari and all versions of IE on PC work[ed] with any version of the exporter. This code is used to 'populate' the text fields of the dialog via the deBabelizer locale language translator...
Sketchup uses the OS's browser for its complex dialogs like the exporter's...
What is your OS ?
Have you recently updated the system or the system's browser version ?
This is most odd -I thought I had now corrected the coding 'error' that hadn't caused any issues with the vast majority of users anyway...
Now you've caught the bug...
Please have the Ruby Console open when running the exporter to see if there are any error messages - unlikely as it's a Javascript issue BUT you never know...
What's your 'locale' [Sketchup.get_locale.upcase]
Once I get all of the facts I'll see if I can come up with some ideas...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cropkaarchitects » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 am

cropkaarchitects Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 am
I am running Windows 7 Professional - and yes - I have just had an automatic update bringing me the new Internet Explorer 9...

If you see the image I have attached - the Ruby Console was open - no errors.

I have also run the Sketchup.get_locale.upcase - it is EN-US in my case.

Thanks for your help!
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:22 am

TIG Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:22 am
I'm on Vista with the IE-9 upgrade and I have no problems ??

I'll investigate further... :geek:

Any one else out there having similar problems ?? :?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:14 pm

TIG Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:14 pm
Clearly the 'javascript' part of the dialog is failing to execute satisfactorily - however, I can't see how that's directly linked to IE9 unless you've somehow set a preference to stop all jscripts running...
Have you looked through your 'setting' for it ?
Have you tried reinstalling IE9 ?
I've found no similar reports on this type of issue - as I said before the sloppy coding fixed in the 'innerHTML' sections was done to allow new Safari installations on MACs to continue working like everyone was managing already... but others with IE9 like myself have no issues now ?
There must be something special about your setup that is having this affect...
Presumably your access rights to all Octane subfolder contents are OK and you have satisfactorily reinstalled the Octane zipped files...
Can you double check the .rb file in /Octane is indeed the latest version and you are not getting some obscure 'Compatibility Files' issue because of permissions etc... :?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cropkaarchitects » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:17 am

cropkaarchitects Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:17 am
Hmmmm, that is truly bizarre :?

I have definitely got the latest Octane Exporter. Just in case I have uninstalled Sketchup, wiped out all data in Sketchup installation folders including exporter files and re-installed everything from scratch. Same issue.

I cannot change IE9 - the latest version is installed and therefore it cannot be updated. Obviously I cannot uninstall it - Microsoft's policy :evil:

Anyway - I have checked all security settings pretty much everywhere I can think of. Also I have installed the Exporter on Sketchup v7 and v8. Same issue.

Access rights are fine, I have access rights to all Octane subfolder content as well.

Running out of ideas and project needs to progress :(
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cropkaarchitects » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:33 am

cropkaarchitects Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:33 am
Does it actually matter which browser is my default browser?

Anyway - if it does - I have checked all three - Firefox, Chrome and IE9, setting each up as default. Same problem again.
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:21 am

TIG Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:21 am
Sketchup uses the IE installation on PC and Safari on MAC - irrespective of the default browser you have set.
This is quite weird - especially as it's isolated to just you and your setup seems no different than many others!

To allow you to do something I will rewrite the code and send you revised files by PM later today.
These will not have language translation and be set the EN-US permanently - which shouldn't affect you - at least then we can see if that helps... :?
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:28 am

TIG Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:28 am
Before I plunged into rewriting the code I reexamined the posts...

When I look carefully at your screenshot I notice that the dialog's top bar say '(c) 2010' - BUT ALL versions of the 1024 exporter say '(c) 2011' !
Therefore somewhere along the line you are not installing the latest version of all of the files... you have been stumbling on with the old version that is now finally broken by IE9...

Download the latest set 'Octane_1024-05.zip' [again!] and extract all of the files and files inside their subfolders into the Plugins folder exactly as detailed in the README or Help files...

Now open the file ../Plugins/Octane_loader.rb using a plain-text editor like Notepad.exe...
The last part of the code should look like this...
Code: Select all
require 'sketchup.rb'
###
#load "Octane/Octane_1022.rb"
load "Octane/Octane_1024.rb"
This loads the '1024' version from the Octane subfolder in the Plugins folder - the earlier '1022' version still seems to be loading in your case - thereby almost certainly causing these issues... If it doesn't say that close the file try dragging the one from the zip file directly into the Plugins folder an overwrite the out of date version. Check its contents again to see if its updated.

Try running Sketchup on a saved SKP > Octane Exporter again and see if it improves - it may not because the 'Octane_1024.rb' file might also be out of date....

To check you have also got the correct version find ../Plugins/Octane/Octane_1024.rb - open that file [if it exists*] and it should have these lines starting 26 lines down...
Code: Select all
05 20110608 Minor corrections to yet unnoticed animation paths code error.
   To suit MAC's latest Safari all innerHTMLs changes are now set as
   properties rather that as attributes.
if NOT then again you don't have the correct [latest] version installed :?

*If it doesn't exist then I suspect none of the files are getting installed properly...

Please triple check that you/users/etc have 'full-permissions' to read/write/add/delete/etc all files and folders/subfolders/files within the appropriate Sketchup folder/subfolders. Because if you don't then this weird Windows 'Compatibility Files' issue can occur in Vista and Win7 where your PC lets you think that you have installed everything as you expected [they will 'look' like they've installed :roll: ] BUT it puts the files in a special 'Compatibility Files' side folder... so they are not actually install and therefore not loading. If your PC has done this then a 'Compatibility Files' button on the top bar of the file browser window in Windows for folders like Plugins, Plugins/Octane etc tells you that you have issues that need fixing - you should then be able to move the files to the correct location[s] if you have sufficient rights.

IF your access rights are corrected then these issues are avoided with any future installations or file savings.

Note the minimum subfolders in the Sketchup folder that need these 'full-permissions' are Plugins, Components, Materials, Styles - as these are where you will from time to time want to save files, without your PC protecting you from yourself by stopping the process... BUT not telling you explicitly that it's done so! Note that the full-permissions for these base subfolders should extend to all of their contents - files, subfolders and their files etc...
Here is my setup where Admins and Users have full-permissions to ALL of the contents of the Sketchup folder...
Capture.PNG

Please let me know if this fixes things ???
Last edited by TIG on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cropkaarchitects » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am

cropkaarchitects Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am
TIG, that's brilliant, many thanks for your help! Let's see if that works! :D I will be back in the office later today and that's the first thing I'll check!
cropkaarchitects
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp