OctaneRender® for Maya® beta 2.58b [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Maya® beta 2.58b [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

OctaneRender® for Maya® beta 2.58b [OBSOLETE]

Postby JimStar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:11 am

JimStar Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:11 am
Refractive Software®/Otoy® is proud to announce the availability of a first version of OctaneRender™ for Maya®
The world's fastest and most feature-rich unbiased render engine that integrates completely into Autodesk® Maya®.

Maya® Version Requirements

This release will work with Maya® Versions 2011, 2012 and 2013 / 32-bit & 64-bit on MS Windows operating systems.

Notes regarding features/functionality

OctaneRender™ for Maya® implements almost full functionality of OctaneRender™ standalone inside Maya®. Materials from the Live DB are currently not available.

COMPATIBILITY AND OCTANERENDER STANDALONE REQUIREMENT

To run OctaneRender™ for Maya®, you need to also have an activated OctaneRender™ Standalone copy activated on the machine you wish to install the plugin onto.
You cannot purchase and use only the Maya plugin and use it without also owning an activated copy of OctaneRender™ Standalone on your machine

HOW TO PURCHASE LICENSES

Go to our online shop here: http://www.refractivesoftware.com/shop/

If you do not own an OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition License yet:
You can purchase both the OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition and the OctaneRender™ for Maya® Edition as a reduced price bundle, purchase the bundle priced at 179€

If you already own one or more OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition licenses you want to pair the plugin with:
Purchase an "OctaneRender™ for Maya® Beta License" priced at 99€

You can also purchase a 3, 5 or 10 pack of OctaneRender™ for Maya® licenses,
just like OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition packs.

OCTANELIVE

Just like OctaneRender™ Standalone, the Maya® plugin product also needs an additional OctaneLive license and be activated on a machine.
This has to be done in the plugin interface panel in Maya, and is covered in the included PDF manual.
It can only be done after an OctaneRender™ Standalone license is already activated on the machine in question.

BUG FIXES SINCE LAST RELEASE:

• Textures "self-changing" bug fixed.
  • IPR-render "non-stopping" while reaching "Max. samples" fixed.
  • Scene loading speed improved.
  • Little bugs fixes...

DOWNLOAD

Next version HERE.

Yours,
The OctaneRender™ Team.
Last edited by JimStar on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender® for Maya® beta 2.58b [CURRENT]

Postby Joss » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 am

Joss Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 am
Answering about the environment color: would be logical that in empty scene env. color is black. because there's just no objects/light sources emitting light? Or at least plug-in could use current maya camera's native "background color", because it seems the only way at the moment to get black environment and put your own lighting scheme is to create sun/sky env node and set it to black.
I really don't know why in main rendering program default env is white.

By the way: is it hard to support Maya display smoothness? I mean when you making just a poly cage and pressing "3"(as i remember in default Maya setup). I'm not sure if Maya API lets you get those smoothed meshes, but that support would be just awesome.

Also one of my friends asking a question: can we expect some additional passes output? Like normals, motions vectors, object masks, etc, etc?
I mean is this even possible with GPU renderer? I shown him some of the images, and he really would love to use it as a production renderer for a serial, but they need some additional passes for compositing.
Freelance CG TD, developer.
Joss
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TBFX » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:39 am

TBFX Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:39 am
Joss wrote:Answering about the environment color: would be logical that in empty scene env. color is black. because there's just no objects/light sources emitting light? Or at least plug-in could use current maya camera's native "background color", because it seems the only way at the moment to get black environment and put your own lighting scheme is to create sun/sky env node and set it to black.I really don't know why in main rendering program default env is white.

This is a little non standard in normal renderer terms but I quite like it as it's a little like having a default light so that if you just load in a model and hit render you can actually see something without creating any lights. I agree though that maybe an easier way of turning this "default environment" off would be good.

Joss wrote:Also one of my friends asking a question: can we expect some additional passes output? Like normals, motions vectors, object masks, etc, etc?I mean is this even possible with GPU renderer? I shown him some of the images, and he really would love to use it as a production renderer for a serial, but they need some additional passes for compositing.

Some of this is already possible if you change the kernel type to Info Channel in the Octane render globals you can then choose from, geometric normals, shading normals, world position, depth or material ID. No motion vectors yet as I don't think the octane engine supports it but it's easy enough to split that pass out using Mental Ray.

T.
Win10 x64|i7-9750H 2.6 GHz|32 GB RAM | RTX2080 max Q 8GB
TBFX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 am

JimStar Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 am
If you still encounter some bugs, don't forget to write here about it.;)
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Slimshader » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Slimshader Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:43 pm
Here's a link to all my crash logs that are from the plugin if that helps.

Seemed to happen a few times like when I added a node like, 'RBGSpectrumTexture' to a specular material's Transmission or things like that or after i assigned the same emmisive material to another mesh.

I also get crashes a lot when I use an octane light, add an ies, then switched it to a plane.(or even if I do that in a different order.)

All the crashes aren't severe enough that maya can't save the file during the crash.
When I start again with the saved file everything works the way I wanted.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85554647/crash%20logs.zip

Also, the swatches often don't update in the hypershade or in the attribute editor.

It doesn't seem to matter if I have the ipr on or off,
or if I have a video card devoted to the display
or if I right click on the swatch and select 'refresh swatch'.
Slimshader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Slimshader » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Slimshader Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm
Regarding the octane lights,
I find that adding an IES file doesn't always register when I add it .
If I save the scene close maya then reopen maya and reload the scene the IES file on the light registers.

Also could there be an attribute to make the light invisible?
Slimshader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:33 pm

JimStar Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:33 pm
Slimshader wrote:Here's a link to all my crash logs that are from the plugin if that helps.

Seemed to happen a few times like when I added a node like, 'RBGSpectrumTexture' to a specular material's Transmission or things like that or after i assigned the same emmisive material to another mesh.

I also get crashes a lot when I use an octane light, add an ies, then switched it to a plane.(or even if I do that in a different order.)

All the crashes aren't severe enough that maya can't save the file during the crash.
When I start again with the saved file everything works the way I wanted.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85554647/crash%20logs.zip

Also, the swatches often don't update in the hypershade or in the attribute editor.

It doesn't seem to matter if I have the ipr on or off,
or if I have a video card devoted to the display
or if I right click on the swatch and select 'refresh swatch'.

Thank you!
The .dmp files will be very helpful too, not only .log.

About swatch refresh: are you sure that they sometimes don't refresh when render is not active too? As if it is during render (IPR or generic), it is normal, they do not refresh before you stop the render.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JimStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

JimStar Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm
Slimshader wrote:Also could there be an attribute to make the light invisible?

Yes, I will add it later, after all these bugs will be fixed.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Slimshader » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Slimshader Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:47 pm
Here's a link to the logs and dmp files.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85554647/crash ... 0files.zip
Slimshader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm

JimStar Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm
Slimshader wrote:Here's a link to the logs and dmp files.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85554647/crash ... 0files.zip

Cool! Thank you!
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Autodesk Maya