Roadmap for the maya plugin

Forums: Roadmap for the maya plugin
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Re: Roadmap for the maya plugin

Postby hellguy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 pm

hellguy Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 pm
blastframe wrote:
hellguy wrote:
blastframe wrote:I bought the Octane v3 plugin for Maya on May 23rd. That's 2 months and 1 week ago as I write this. The only thing available is an untested Alpha. How is this okay? I messaged OTOY support on June 19. No response. This isn't the first time I've heard nothing back from support either.

The ticket received on June 19 [#108145]) was responded to within 12 hours, and we have also responded to the ticket you submitted yesterday [#109191].
If you have not received the responses to the tickets above, please check your spam folder.
Hello,
Thank you for the response. I do not believe this to be a case of spam filtering. I apologize if you did respond, but I never received either of these in my Inbox or Spam folder.
[Images Removed]

While we cannot confirm why you are having issues receiving our responses, you can view the status of your tickets here. Alternatively, go to help.otoy.com, sign in, then go to 'My Activities'.
If you have any further queries or responses to this issue, please PM me directly.

help.otoy.com_activities.png
help.otoy.com_activities.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
hellguy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:08 am

Refracty Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:08 am
We need an update of the Maya V 2 plugin fixing the batch render issues raised here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54983&hilit=maya+batch+render+not+working and here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55348&p=284780#p284780.

V3 will not be usable for serious production within the next weeks and I guess it will take time until it will seamlessly open Octane shaders and nodes from V2.
So please provide updates for V2 to fix issues.

I have raised a support ticked and hope that this is ansered quick. My 2 weeks old post was not answerd at all :roll:
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby k.a.schubert » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:29 pm

k.a.schubert Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:29 pm
@Refractry

Take a look at your post please.
k.a.schubert
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:56 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:56 pm
can we get a status update? It's a week into August and, unless i'm mistaken, your last timeline said there would be a new update in July
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matrix2012 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 pm

matrix2012 Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 pm
Hi,

What with the new version this week. :?:
Week almost to the end
Please a roadmap. :evil:
What's going on there

Octane is a good energy. :D

But that does not work that way. :roll:

Next week, next month..................................next year. :arrow:

What's going wrong? :cry:
Thanks for the hard work.

Sorry for my bad English
matrix2012
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mosssi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:35 am

mosssi Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:35 am
@k.a.schubert
Hi kai
I know that you are under a lot of pressure but I have so many problem with Octane for Maya and I have to answer to my company about choosing Octane for thousands of minutes animated series. Unfortunately there is no answer from you or any other developers and if this problems exist I should choose another engine for mass production.
I think Octane is good for a short commercial or a motion graphic but is not great for serious long productions. Also we wrote so many python scripts for covering Octane shortages.

I can count some of our problems here again:
Batch render from Maya just saves .exr files with 12 MB size but all blank (file names are frame.0001.passes.exr)
Batch render from command line works but it doesn't save Beauty pass just other passes.
Can not support UDIM for textures
Can't expand environment variables in paths
Can't show textures on viewport
After changing a texture the old texure remains on cache memory and I should change the file name (needs somethig like arnold texture flush)
Can't handle Maya utilities

My main question is do you really want to implement our ideas and needs in Octane for Maya or it won't happen for near future?
Maya 2016 SP6, Windows 10 x64, 4 x GTX 980 Ti
mosssi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:30 pm

JimStar Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:30 pm
mosssi
I'm not Kai, but I can help a little and add some comments on your points from the point of view of v2 plugin:

mosssi wrote:Batch render from Maya just saves .exr files with 12 MB size but all blank (file names are frame.0001.passes.exr)
They are not blank. These are multilayer EXR, not all software is capable to properly open these. In a settings you can choose the option to save all passes into separate files, not into one multilayer file.

mosssi wrote:Can not support UDIM for textures
This is not a plugin issue. This must be implemented on the Octane engine level (and it will be later). After that the plugins will automatically get support of it too. Some plugins have a workaround for lack of support of this in Octane engine, but a proper way - to have this support on the engine level.

mosssi wrote:Can't show textures on viewport
To get Octane image texture visible in Maya viewport you need to have Octane transform node connected to it.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mosssi » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:28 am

mosssi Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:28 am
Hi Jim, Thank you for the reply. Just some quick notes:

JimStar wrote:They are not blank. These are multilayer EXR, not all software is capable to properly open these. In a settings you can choose the option to save all passes into separate files, not into one multilayer file.

Yes, I work with exrs every day but Octane exrs are blank. I checked them with Nuke and there is no extra channel. Although exrs that are saved from commandline batch render are okey. And is composite AOV same as Beauty Pass?

JimStar wrote:To get Octane image texture visible in Maya viewport you need to have Octane transform node connected to it.

I didn't know that, It's interesting but shaders are flat in viewport.

And what about environment variables? Is it possible to include this update in v3? it shouldn't be so hard.

Thanks again
mosssi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Refracty Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:00 pm
Hi Mossi, in Nuke you should be able to extract the "composite" channel of the *.passes.exr with a shuffle node.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mosssi » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:17 pm

mosssi Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:17 pm
Refracty wrote:Hi Mossi, in Nuke you should be able to extract the "composite" channel of the *.passes.exr with a shuffle node.

Hi Refracty, Yes of course. But is it same as Beauty that I see in Maya?
mosssi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Maya