NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby atoyuser1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 am

atoyuser1 Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 am
tripledistilled wrote:
spectacle wrote:Yeah I'm def jumping ship for Redshift. Literally years of using betas with promises that any day now things will be great. My studio needs stable Maya/Houdini MacOS/AMD rendering.

Heh. The RS forum is full of users complaining about instability on Mac/AMD.

The problem is Apple. They have a hit on their hands will M1/M2 and have zero motivation to bother with other people's hardware.

Thanks for this, very interesting...
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby VinsG1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:52 pm

VinsG1 Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:52 pm
aoktar wrote:This is latest OctaneX based 2022.1-XB3 and it's just for M1 Macs right now. It matches the latest development version.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=80247

Thank you for this headup !
Do we know if the Denoiser is now possible on Apple M1 Pro ?
I've just updated from C4D_OctaneX_Enterprise_ProMac_PR14. to this new one but I can't get the denoiser to work...
VinsG1

Postby danchosich » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:26 pm

danchosich Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:26 pm
It's all very confusing because I don't know how you'd do production work on M1 Macs. I can't figure that one out.

There isn't enough GPU power for anything animated that has volumetric light and a 4K resolution. It's very possible that OTOY knows something about the M2 chips. Maybe they will have a thunderbolt controller that can handle eGPUs--I think they should but it's up to Apple to actually support it--more likely that Apple creates their own GPU. It's just utterly confusing to drop AMD support because cards like the 6800 and 6900 are incredibly capable.

Again, not mad at Aoktar. Very thankful for your time, but I hope there is something that can be done to support the 2019 Mac Pro. I've literally spent 50K+ on this machine to do work thinking it would serve me well for Octane X. It just sucks knowing I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet here and switch to PC or something that has greater developer support--even if that means the M2 or something similar. And even then I have a hard time believing Apple will have extremely better GPUs than Nvidia or AMD. Their graphs comparing their (M1) cards to 3090s are simply based on power consumption versus raw compute.
danchosich
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dworks » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:40 pm

3dworks Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:40 pm
danchosich wrote:It's all very confusing because I don't know how you'd do production work on M1 Macs. I can't figure that one out.

There isn't enough GPU power for anything animated that has volumetric light and a 4K resolution. It's very possible that OTOY knows something about the M2 chips. Maybe they will have a thunderbolt controller that can handle eGPUs--I think they should but it's up to Apple to actually support it--more likely that Apple creates their own GPU. It's just utterly confusing to drop AMD support because cards like the 6800 and 6900 are incredibly capable.

Again, not mad at Aoktar. Very thankful for your time, but I hope there is something that can be done to support the 2019 Mac Pro. I've literally spent 50K+ on this machine to do work thinking it would serve me well for Octane X. It just sucks knowing I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet here and switch to PC or something that has greater developer support--even if that means the M2 or something similar. And even then I have a hard time believing Apple will have extremely better GPUs than Nvidia or AMD. Their graphs comparing their (M1) cards to 3090s are simply based on power consumption versus raw compute.

I totally second all this!
Specs: Apple MacBook Pro M1 max 64GB 2TB, MacOS 12.5 / MacPro 5,1 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8G, MacOS 10.13.6 / Mac Pro 5,1 with AMD RX5700 8G, MacOS 12.3.1 / HP Z600 with NVIDIA 3060 RTX 12G, Windows 10 pro + Netstor GPU box, 4 x NVIDIA GTX 980ti 6G.
3dworks
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 pm

aoktar Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 pm
Giving support for old Mac's are not a plugin developer related topic. Codes are ready to run on every platform on plugin side. But as I can understand that renderer has been isolated to run on ARM GPUs for adopting to Apple's roadmap. It required to write everything for Metal API as I can know to go further. Please Otoy team correct me if I'm wrong on this.
So for now you should be able to use old plugins with old Mac's and you need new builds for new ARM Mac's. That's all unless the situation changed.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby tripledistilled » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:53 am

tripledistilled Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:53 am
danchosich wrote:It's all very confusing because I don't know how you'd do production work on M1 Macs. I can't figure that one out.

Depends on what you're doing. M1 is great for layout, lighting, lookdev and static renders (I'm not going above 4K). It is my go-to nowadays especially with electricity prices rising (arm64 is cheaper to run) and lower temperatures make it more comfortable to use during a heatwave.

For larger static renders and animations send .orbx to RNDR network. Easy.
tripledistilled
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TBubble » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:15 pm

TBubble Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:15 pm
Depends on what you're doing. M1 is great for layout, lighting, lookdev and static renders (I'm not going above 4K). It is my go-to nowadays especially with electricity prices rising (arm64 is cheaper to run) and lower temperatures make it more comfortable to use during a heatwave.

For larger static renders and animations send .orbx to RNDR network. Easy.

How is any solution that requires customers buy new hardware, and then still hand Otoy their cash (I'm sorry, "a small percentage of RNDR for facilitating the transaction and running the Render Network"), easy? Somehow I'm remembering something about the promise of rendering on any device and "fully optimized for performance on AMD Vega and Navi GPUs." And after the very righteous collapse of the NFT market, we're still going to push RNDR is the answer?

This is not how you democratize content creation.
TBubble

Postby tripledistilled » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:44 am

tripledistilled Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:44 am
TBubble wrote:How is any solution that requires customers buy new hardware, and then still hand Otoy their cash (I'm sorry, "a small percentage of RNDR for facilitating the transaction and running the Render Network"), easy?

Like I said, Apple Silicon is cheaper to run. For me it is a good investment.

TBubble wrote:Somehow I'm remembering something about the promise of rendering on any device and "fully optimized for performance on AMD Vega and Navi GPUs." And after the very righteous collapse of the NFT market, we're still going to push RNDR is the answer?

I don't know about crypto or NFT stuff. To me, RNDR is just a very good render farm. Buy credits. Render stuff. It is the easiest cloud solution I have found (although Chaos Cloud is also similarly straighforward).

TBubble wrote:This is not how you democratize content creation.

An affordable render farm means creators don't have to spend thousands on hardware - author content on a fanless laptop, then leverage the full power of the cloud to get stuff done. Lower upfront costs are democratising content creation.
tripledistilled
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TBubble » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:43 pm

TBubble Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:43 pm
We're obviously going to disagree, and I have no intention to convince you.

All I can say is that I'm deeply frustrated with Otoy because, at least where I teach, students are not going to be able to run out and buy Apple Silicon nor is the college going to replace Mac Pros that were supposed to have a working life longer than 18 months. I'm also sensitive to the reality that very few of them have or will be buying tokens. Progressively narrowing the number of supported devices, requiring investments in new equipment (even if that cost could be amortized over time by being cheaper to run), and then still have to supplement the new purchases with cloud-based rendering? RNDR may be a good render farm, but it certainly isn't democratizing things for my students.

Otoy needs a better answer, and a better roadmap, than what they've shown so far.
TBubble

Postby james_conkle » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:52 pm

james_conkle Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:52 pm
Does anyone know of a place that is recording Octane X benchmark scores? I know the official OB isn't on 2022 yet, but there was a chess scene going around for a while.
Octane C4D Plugin 2021.1 / C4D R25.015
UNIT 0: 2080ti / 6700K / 64GB / 500w
UNIT 1: 2x 3090 / 3970x / 128GB ECC / 1600w
UNIT 2: 5500M / 9980HK / 32GB / 95w
RNDR Artist Calculator
james_conkle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max