how many gpus can octane handle?

Forums: how many gpus can octane handle?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

how many gpus can octane handle?

Postby gpu-renderer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 pm

gpu-renderer Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 pm
Hi all

I have a question regarding multi gpu. I;ve come across this evga board that supports 2 x xeons and silly amounts of ram. The question here is if it has 7 slots and say 7 single slot cards how much performance loss is there across each additional card?

Also it is possible to add 4 gtx 580 (3gb)... Can anyone recommend the right PSU for the job (around 1600 watts)... remember it has 2 x xeons and 24gb of ram... the reason for this is I want to splash out on a serious setup for rendering and video editing HD. I looked into the quadros but render speeds to price are more important.

Does anyone know which CAD or 3d programs support quad sli?

Not sure if I should wait until the new nvidia cards arrive considering the expense and energy costs.

Any help here would be welcomed and if anyone has a dual or triple gpu rig please share the benchmarks.... because of octane I've got a new job :D
i7 920 2.66ghz quad core, gtx 285, asus p6t, 6gb OCZ 1600mhz ram, Windows 7 64bit ultimate. Nvidia cuda Driver v3 Nvidia display drivers V193.13. Octane beta 2
gpu-renderer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: how many gpus can octane handle?

Postby radiance » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

radiance Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm
Hi,

The most reported GPUs seated on a single board with one single x16 PCI-E wide bus, with octane 2.4 and GTX5xx GPUs is 6 GPUs.
This setup works and speedup is near linear, i don't have extensive benchmarks handy but it was approx 5.5x the speed of one GPU.

As the difference in convergence only improves per square of samples in time, i would advise 4 GPUs as the best solution.
Going over 4 will give you more MS/s, but the difference in noise for final frames will not be that high.
The next best situation after 4 would be 8, but then you'd need a board with 8 PCI-E slots which i don't think is available right now,
or you should get extension boxes and put 2 in each box and then connect 3 to a 4slot board, which is very $$$ expensive :)

The 6x GPU setup was reported using linux as the OS, unfortunately we have no reports of any windows or mac systems beyond 4 GPUs.
With a high amount of GPUs, quadro/tesla boards provide better scaling currently.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Lyubomir » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Lyubomir Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 pm
radiance wrote:Hi,

The most reported GPUs seated on a single board with one single x16 PCI-E wide bus, with octane 2.4 and GTX5xx GPUs is 6 GPUs.
This setup works and speedup is near linear, i don't have extensive benchmarks handy but it was approx 5.5x the speed of one GPU.

As the difference in convergence only improves per square of samples in time, i would advise 4 GPUs as the best solution.
Going over 4 will give you more MS/s, but the difference in noise for final frames will not be that high.
The next best situation after 4 would be 8, but then you'd need a board with 8 PCI-E slots which i don't think is available right now,
or you should get extension boxes and put 2 in each box and then connect 3 to a 4slot board, which is very $$$ expensive :)

The 6x GPU setup was reported using linux as the OS, unfortunately we have no reports of any windows or mac systems beyond 4 GPUs.
With a high amount of GPUs, quadro/tesla boards provide better scaling currently.

Radiance

Does this mean that 2 GPUs would converge less than twice as fast, despite giving twice the MS/s?
i7 2600K, 12GB RAM, GTX 470 x 3, Win 7 64, C4D R11 Studio, VRay, Octane
i7 920, 10GB RAM, GTX 480 x 2, Win 7 64, After Effects CS3, Premiere Pro
Lyubomir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:18 am

radiance Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:18 am
No,

I just meant that the benefit of 6 to 4 GPUs is less visually apparent than 4 to 2, and due to the additional cost that is usually much higher (very exotic MB and PSUs), i would leave it to a max of 4 per machine.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion