Quadro and Geforce together

Forums: Quadro and Geforce together
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Quadro and Geforce together

Postby maccam » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm

maccam Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm
I'm a 3d max user and I've just added a GTX460 card to my current setup (i7 860+quadro FX580) to test octane.
But now I've got a big problem, after I installed the new geforce card the quadro 3dmax performance driver refused to load, which makes working with Max a pain.
Is anyone having the same issue? can it be fixed?
I've red several times in this forum that you recommend using two cards: quadro for fast screen performance and a fermi card for rendering... but I guess you weren't thinking of 3D max.
Thanks
maccam

Re: Quadro and Geforce together

Postby radiance » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 pm

radiance Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 pm
maccam wrote:I'm a 3d max user and I've just added a GTX460 card to my current setup (i7 860+quadro FX580) to test octane.
But now I've got a big problem, after I installed the new geforce card the quadro 3dmax performance driver refused to load, which makes working with Max a pain.
Is anyone having the same issue? can it be fixed?
I've red several times in this forum that you recommend using two cards: quadro for fast screen performance and a fermi card for rendering... but I guess you weren't thinking of 3D max.
Thanks

You should be able to install both quadro and geforce drivers, maybe make sure they are both the latest versions (download from www.nvidia.com homepage / download drivers).

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby maccam » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 am

maccam Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 am
I've installed the latest drivers for both of them. The problem is the special 3dmax quadro driver which has been enhanced to boost the performance. It seems as it wouldn't load if it detects a geforce card installed (I've tried to unplug the GTX460 and everything went back to "normality")
I've been searching the web with little success so I would appreciate any help.
Thanks for the quick answer anyway
maccam

Postby Maryus3D » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Maryus3D Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm
Deactivate the GTX from device settings and activate back only when you use CUDA apps. The system usually crash when quadro drivers detects non quadro cards. I guess is a driver bug. Somebody has the same problem with Tesla C870 :(. The device settings is the only fix for the moment.
Maryus3D

Postby stoecklem » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 am

stoecklem Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 am
Its too bad there is no way to get octane to recognize the cuda cores of a gtx 580 without installing the display driver. I was hoping I could just install the cuda toolkit, use my quadro for running my display and the gtx for octane rendering. it wish i had hope that the drivers will get better for this, but based on browsing their forums they seem to be content to just recommend that users don't do this. I guess i'll see for myself soon.
stoecklem
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nicad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 am

nicad Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 am
Hi,

I nobody minds that I dig this topic up again. I'm building a new Sandy Bridge based pc for Solidworks and would like to have a Quadro card and a Geforce card on the motherboard. I know Nvidia has no comment and does not support this setup, but from what I have read it should be possible. I am willing to have a dual boot system with one Win7 install for the Quadro, the other for Geforce, if this would ensure no driver conflicts and a completely stable system (systems?). I would run both cards to the same monitor, different inputs and just switch between them.

Can anyone see why this would not work perfectly? I don't want to take any risks picking up a Quadro and have it not work the way I want it to. Would I have the same predicament with radeon and firepro cards, or are those dirty words in this forum ;) ?

Thanks for any help and any advise or alternatives would be much appreciated.
nicad

Postby radiance » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 pm

radiance Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Hi,

You can only use octane on a display only card that is made by NVIDIA too, eg you can't use an nvidia card for rendering and an ATI card for display, as the cuda drivers need to work with the display drivers too.
I recommend sticking to NVIDIA only system-wide for best compatibility.

Having a quadro and geforce should work fine though.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Maryus3D » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Maryus3D Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 pm
The combination ATi+nvidia is not working at all and i also don't recomand ATI for 3D apps.

The combination Quadro + GeFroce works only 50%. If the Quadro drivers detects non Quadro cards the pro features will be disabled. For example Quadro 2000and GTX 560 Ti 2 GB or GTX 580 3 GB. If Quadro 2000 detect the GTX card, it starts act like a GTS 450. No pro features will be enabled like: the image quality in viewport inside solidworks or other CAD software, no Quadro acceleration and stability, no 30 bit support for 30 bit monitor via display port, the pro options from nvidia control panel are totally gone... so on and so forth.

You must put the Quadro on the first slot and the GTX card on the second slot. The monitors will be plugged in the Quadro. I don't recommend connecting the monitor in the GTX. In the OS you'll need to install the Quadro drivers only, no GeForce driver at all. When you are working in CAD you must disable from Device Manager the GTX card so the Quadro card is unable to detect it. After you done your job with modeling/animation you can close the CAD software, activate back the GTX and do your rendering in octane :). This is the only way. The dual boot is not working. To install a second OS and install only the GeForce driver is not possible because the system recognize the first card as the default, the first card that is installed on the first slot.
Maryus3D

Postby nicad » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:43 pm

nicad Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:43 pm
Wow, nvidia definitely aren't making things easy for people. Thanks for the info Maryus3D, you sound like you've struggled with this yourself, I'm sure it brought on many tears.

I was hoping to get a quadro 600 and pair it up to a GTX560 Ti 2GB. I use solidworks, so would using the quadro drivers from solidworks affect the performance of the geforce card? I understand that the nvidia drivers are unified, can I expect to get the latest forceware drivers for the geforce using the quadro drivers?

I've read that for this to work Win7 requires that both use the same WDDM 1.1 driver to be used. I'm not entirely sure what this means, but would I have to let Win7 search for and install the drivers for me?

Does anyone know if you can disable a PCI bus from the BIOS, particularly on a Asus P8P67-PRO motherboard? Would this enable me to force the card of my choice to be the primary?

Thanks for all the help guys.
nicad

Postby nicad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 am

nicad Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 am
I've had some advice from the Whirlpool forum, telling me to investigate motherboards with the LucidLogix Hydra chip. These boards allow you to run multiple gfx cards of different types concurrently. I could possibly have an ATI Firegl card for solidworks and a Geforce card for everything else.

Anyone heard of or used this setup? Motherboards are quite new, so haven't seen many around.

Other than that, the EVGA SR-2 mobo has the ability to enable/disable PCIE slots using jumpers on the board, pity it is so expensive!!!

I'll do some more searching and post back.
nicad

Next

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion