VRAM memory management problem

Forums: VRAM memory management problem
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

VRAM memory management problem

Postby ChristopherCollier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:26 am

ChristopherCollier Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:26 am
I'm using OctaneRender and having some problems with VRAM memory management. When working with complex scenes and lots of textures, I frequently receive errors related to insufficient VRAM. I tried reducing the texture resolution and optimizing the scene, but it wasn't enough. Can anyone share experience or tips on how to effectively manage VRAM in Octane? Is there any plugin or setting in Octane that can help me solve this problem.
ChristopherCollier

Re: VRAM memory management problem

Postby bepeg4d » Wed May 08, 2024 6:16 am

bepeg4d Wed May 08, 2024 6:16 am
Hi,
try to disable the RTX acceleration in Settings/Devices panel, to save some memory, if enabled, geometry takes more VRAM.

You can also reduce the Parallel Samples in the Kernel settings at 8 or 4 to save some VRAM, but also reducing the rendering speed.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby skientia » Wed May 08, 2024 7:29 pm

skientia Wed May 08, 2024 7:29 pm
ChristopherCollier wrote:I tried reducing the texture resolution and optimizing the scene, but it wasn't enough.

There are no secrets. The data and scene have to be optimized until it inevitably reaches the hardware limit (both VRAM and RAM via OOC).

Nothing guarantees a proper optimization when stated that it has been done. Many are factually unaware of some of the best-practices and technical aspects (mis)leading them to think optimization has been effectively done when it wasn't (unless proven via scene data information in textual and/or print-screen form).

The website contains one page dedicated to sampling and optimizations that is worth looking into. Even the "best ones" can forget / overlook a detail, a method and whatnot.

Feel free to reply if it has been of any help or share any suggestion for further improvements (which are planned).
A free informative resource for everyone
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Wed May 08, 2024 10:26 pm

frankmci Wed May 08, 2024 10:26 pm
skientia wrote:There are no secrets. The data and scene have to be optimized until it inevitably reaches the hardware limit (both VRAM and RAM via OOC).

Nothing guarantees a proper optimization when stated that it has been done. Many are factually unaware of some of the best-practices and technical aspects (mis)leading them to think optimization has been effectively done when it wasn't (unless proven via scene data information in textual and/or print-screen form).

HA! This is still a significant part of my job; taking bloated assets from the creative side of the team and tracking down/cutting out the unnecessary stuff and optimizing what's left. Sure, sometimes brute-forcing it works fine when you've got plenty of time and resources, but when the deadline is looming it sure is nice to have some extra wiggle room. It wasn't that long ago that the 32 MB of VRAM on the first GeForce card was an incredible luxury that totally blew VooDoo2 out of the water.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby derooisa » Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 pm

derooisa Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 pm
Whether it’s through Out-of-Core (OOC) techniques to manage data that exceeds the system’s physical memory or employing Level of Detail (LOD) algorithms to adjust the complexity of 3D models based on their importance and distance from the viewer. Purchase AutoCAD LT 2017. There are many strategies to ensure that a scene runs smoothly without compromising too much on quality.
derooisa

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion