OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES

Forums: OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby Tharso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Tharso Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm
a lot of road map with beautiful Slides and nothing more, hehehehe

A shame.
User avatar
Tharso
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:11 pm
Location: Brasil

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby Tag12345 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 am

Tag12345 Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 am
Jolbertoquini wrote:would be good to have something about denoise would be great. how far you guys are to be released? Just for idea? we saw some previews test I guess we could have a first release maybe?

Cheers,
JO



Gold posted this in response to me before (showing the denoising process for 3.07) but they have yet to update further

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneR ... 102819403/
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 am

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby mojave » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm

mojave Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm
Tharso wrote:a lot of road map with beautiful Slides and nothing more, hehehehe

A shame.


A roadmap is a future plan, that's why there's nothing about it yet (this is a very recent update).

If you take a look at this link, 3.06 already included heaps of features from previous roadmap updates (bokeh, shadow pass, adaptive sampling...) so new features are being delivered, just take into account we need to prioritize what most users need and make sure all is production-ready.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014
User avatar
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby Tag12345 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:13 am

Tag12345 Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:13 am
mojave wrote:
Tharso wrote:a lot of road map with beautiful Slides and nothing more, hehehehe

A shame.


A roadmap is a future plan, that's why there's nothing about it yet (this is a very recent update).

If you take a look at this link, 3.06 already included heaps of features from previous roadmap updates (bokeh, shadow pass, adaptive sampling...) so new features are being delivered, just take into account we need to prioritize what most users need and make sure all is production-ready.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014




Honestly this is just reiterating info weve already gotten and features shown that aernt really that major.


The way AS was implemeneted gave hype to the fact that Denoising was going to be a much LESSER issue, it was hyped alot and failed to be what most users wanted it to be. Its a situational feature. Its not we anticipated.


Though the 3.07 update IS what we have anticipated. But asking for a release date or as a TEAM releasing info about these concerns and making a new thread and connecting with your base might be best. We as users are all going this stage of questioning whats next with Octane. Not the roadmap, but for production and bettering the RENDERER itself as well as building upon the things you guys have created and things that could use work.

- Volumetrics (having a system not based on a shape based volume, but like other renders, having volumetrics be apart of the lighting system instead of its own entity)
- Light Linking Being able to setup light linking. Hide objects from lights. Allow for a stylistic approach
- Realtime AO for Beefier setups, it shouldnt be a need to setup a dirt/mix shader for certain materials to exibit AO -- it should be a simple off-on in the renderer, built in
- Better memory usage for Graphics cards -- no geometry limit -- making this more effficient so people can render larger scenes without having to have a Titan,etc
- Fixing the Shader/Material system by allowing Stacking within the packages that allow it, and make it an option to use a Mix material (we shouldnt have to use a 3rd material for Blending)
- DENOISE! DENOISE! DENOISE! finding an accurate solution to finally have faster scenes calculate with less noise, no more using 3rd party software to do the job the renderer should do
- Full CPU support, something every renderer pretty much has now, besides Octane
- OSL support - was promised, but we wait patiently -- and this would allow MUCH of this to happen as well


This is my list of Octane improvements made. Realizing the roadmap is going for Unity and VR base whilst still facing the above is kind of disapointing for me. But I hope we can resolve these before moving on, because I love octane, i just feel its not as efficient as it could be.
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 am

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am
Tag12345 wrote:
Jolbertoquini wrote:would be good to have something about denoise would be great. how far you guys are to be released? Just for idea? we saw some previews test I guess we could have a first release maybe?

Cheers,
JO



Gold posted this in response to me before (showing the denoising process for 3.07) but they have yet to update further

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneR ... 102819403/



Hi. I saw that at the day they show I know that my point is way don't provide as development build so we can test to judge, would be great to have some updates. the post from the guys, is great but still missing a lot infos about that.
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
User avatar
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:08 am
Location: London

Re: UPDATE OCTANE IN 3 DAYS OR THIS THREAD SELF DESTRUCTS!

Postby mojave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:29 am

mojave Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:29 am
Wow! This is really great constructive feedback, thank you.

We really appreciate and will definitely take this into account .

Most of things you mention have been frequently requested by many other users and are on the radar, either under current development or just on our plan of things to do when resources become available.

Octane development is more active now that is probably ever been before so hopefully we can meet with the features you ask and need to turn your ideas into beautiful renders.
User avatar
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am
Tag12345 wrote:
mojave wrote:
Tharso wrote:a lot of road map with beautiful Slides and nothing more, hehehehe

A shame.


A roadmap is a future plan, that's why there's nothing about it yet (this is a very recent update).

If you take a look at this link, 3.06 already included heaps of features from previous roadmap updates (bokeh, shadow pass, adaptive sampling...) so new features are being delivered, just take into account we need to prioritize what most users need and make sure all is production-ready.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014




Honestly this is just reiterating info weve already gotten and features shown that aernt really that major.


The way AS was implemeneted gave hype to the fact that Denoising was going to be a much LESSER issue, it was hyped alot and failed to be what most users wanted it to be. Its a situational feature. Its not we anticipated.


Though the 3.07 update IS what we have anticipated. But asking for a release date or as a TEAM releasing info about these concerns and making a new thread and connecting with your base might be best. We as users are all going this stage of questioning whats next with Octane. Not the roadmap, but for production and bettering the RENDERER itself as well as building upon the things you guys have created and things that could use work.

- Volumetrics (having a system not based on a shape based volume, but like other renders, having volumetrics be apart of the lighting system instead of its own entity)
- Light Linking Being able to setup light linking. Hide objects from lights. Allow for a stylistic approach
- Realtime AO for Beefier setups, it shouldnt be a need to setup a dirt/mix shader for certain materials to exibit AO -- it should be a simple off-on in the renderer, built in
- Better memory usage for Graphics cards -- no geometry limit -- making this more effficient so people can render larger scenes without having to have a Titan,etc
- Fixing the Shader/Material system by allowing Stacking within the packages that allow it, and make it an option to use a Mix material (we shouldnt have to use a 3rd material for Blending)
- DENOISE! DENOISE! DENOISE! finding an accurate solution to finally have faster scenes calculate with less noise, no more using 3rd party software to do the job the renderer should do
- Full CPU support, something every renderer pretty much has now, besides Octane
- OSL support - was promised, but we wait patiently -- and this would allow MUCH of this to happen as well


This is my list of Octane improvements made. Realizing the roadmap is going for Unity and VR base whilst still facing the above is kind of disapointing for me. But I hope we can resolve these before moving on, because I love octane, i just feel its not as efficient as it could be.


Some of this point is at the roadmap but I guess the priority is not the right one.
If you check the pdf you have all this points but the question is when? also have on the same time.

I think some options is essential like out-core Geometry, denoiser and osl, of course fix and improve , displacement,volumes and etc feature we already have but with a lot issues and missing to be more better then they are.

All this is there on the PDF presentation, hopefully we will have some updates, is looking like is now updates from a while now.

I'm wondering what the guys are doing for us now, what is the next feature? also when we going to have a new development build?

Cheers,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
User avatar
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:08 am
Location: London

Re: Where is Octane in Development?

Postby KeeWe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 pm

KeeWe Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 pm
Tag12345 wrote:
mojave wrote:
Tharso wrote:a lot of road map with beautiful Slides and nothing more, hehehehe

A shame.


A roadmap is a future plan, that's why there's nothing about it yet (this is a very recent update).

If you take a look at this link, 3.06 already included heaps of features from previous roadmap updates (bokeh, shadow pass, adaptive sampling...) so new features are being delivered, just take into account we need to prioritize what most users need and make sure all is production-ready.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014




Honestly this is just reiterating info weve already gotten and features shown that aernt really that major.


The way AS was implemeneted gave hype to the fact that Denoising was going to be a much LESSER issue, it was hyped alot and failed to be what most users wanted it to be. Its a situational feature. Its not we anticipated.


Though the 3.07 update IS what we have anticipated. But asking for a release date or as a TEAM releasing info about these concerns and making a new thread and connecting with your base might be best. We as users are all going this stage of questioning whats next with Octane. Not the roadmap, but for production and bettering the RENDERER itself as well as building upon the things you guys have created and things that could use work.

- Volumetrics (having a system not based on a shape based volume, but like other renders, having volumetrics be apart of the lighting system instead of its own entity)
- Light Linking Being able to setup light linking. Hide objects from lights. Allow for a stylistic approach
- Realtime AO for Beefier setups, it shouldnt be a need to setup a dirt/mix shader for certain materials to exibit AO -- it should be a simple off-on in the renderer, built in
- Better memory usage for Graphics cards -- no geometry limit -- making this more effficient so people can render larger scenes without having to have a Titan,etc
- Fixing the Shader/Material system by allowing Stacking within the packages that allow it, and make it an option to use a Mix material (we shouldnt have to use a 3rd material for Blending)
- DENOISE! DENOISE! DENOISE! finding an accurate solution to finally have faster scenes calculate with less noise, no more using 3rd party software to do the job the renderer should do
- Full CPU support, something every renderer pretty much has now, besides Octane
- OSL support - was promised, but we wait patiently -- and this would allow MUCH of this to happen as well


This is my list of Octane improvements made. Realizing the roadmap is going for Unity and VR base whilst still facing the above is kind of disapointing for me. But I hope we can resolve these before moving on, because I love octane, i just feel its not as efficient as it could be.


Very good posts. Beside your feature requests I really have to bring up performance and stability as well. Working on a quiete heavy project I experienced a lot of crashes, most probably caused by displacement and mograph/x particles (in c4d). Compared to arnold or Redshift (from other users, no experience myself), Octane is pretty far behind in terms of stability and things like scene preperation.

I hope optimiziation is still a big point on the radar.
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
User avatar
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:32 am

Re: OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Notiusweb Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:31 pm
I will comment on Redshift, as they have a free demo.
Hmmmm...Where do I start....

1) They don't have a core application, or at least it's not very clear that they do have one? It only exists as a plugin, for apps that Octane has plugins for......+1 Octane...scratch that, +20 Octane
2) You always see mini res renders online....Look how fast Redshift is!...Right?.....RIGHT!!???......WRONG....1080p is slow, not any advancement that I can tell vs Octane...Faster, NO....+1 Octane
3) Stability...all the thing does is kick back notifications on "this material has this problem, that material has this problem....", for what seems like no reason. STFU! With Octane, it just renders and keeps its mouth shut!...+1 Octane
4) Setting up lighting takes multiple steps, like Octane. But if coming from Octane, this just means added work, for no reason, as there is really no benefit...."Brute Force"! I love that name, though....but, still....+1 Octane

5) This...THIS is my favorite of all...
But in Redshift you can use any amount of GPU's....right?...RIGHT!!!???
WRONG..
8 per session...
But you can stack sessions, right? That's like saying Titan Z (2 x 6GB VRAM) is just like Titan X (12GB VRAM)......
...NO

In a word, RedShift is BullShift, minus the "f"....
Octane buries that piece of garbage...Try it...then please, give me a break....!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
User avatar
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

Re: OCTANE DEVELOPERS READ THIS THREAD TO SEE OCTANES ISSUES

Postby Tag12345 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:13 am

Tag12345 Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:13 am
Notiusweb wrote:I will comment on Redshift, as they have a free demo.
Hmmmm...Where do I start....

1) They don't have a core application, or at least it's not very clear that they do have one? It only exists as a plugin, for apps that Octane has plugins for......+1 Octane...scratch that, +20 Octane
2) You always see mini res renders online....Look how fast Redshift is!...Right?.....RIGHT!!???......WRONG....1080p is slow, not any advancement that I can tell vs Octane...Faster, NO....+1 Octane
3) Stability...all the thing does is kick back notifications on "this material has this problem, that material has this problem....", for what seems like no reason. STFU! With Octane, it just renders and keeps its mouth shut!...+1 Octane
4) Setting up lighting takes multiple steps, like Octane. But if coming from Octane, this just means added work, for no reason, as there is really no benefit...."Brute Force"! I love that name, though....but, still....+1 Octane

....!



True, all these are valid.
Octane is unique, not saying it isnt, and pointing out the flaws in other render engines wasnt the point -- as its noted why octane is better for much of those reasons.


But as far as More competitive software such as Arnold/Vray,etc it still has many features to smooth out and develop on specially since these other renderers do get more updates regularly -- Updates for Arnold are at least 2 weeks apart.

Octane is definitely superior in a handful of ways, but it still lacks in key areas to make it more marketable, which was my main point -- and many of that marketability is where most of its core users came for, as we have seen Octane for the BEAUTY and Quality ist can put out, but waiting for it to be VASTLY faster than anything on the market , which is where we are getting to with the next update hopefully.


And take notice that 3.06 came out 2-3 months ago.
So it has been a mighty while :O
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 am
PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:37 am [ UTC ]