oguzbir wrote:Well done for all the efforts. You rock!!
A quick questions here.
Will there be displacement improvement or features in alpha or beta stage?
Don't know yet, but probably not during alpha or beta.
- I would really would love to see managing the displacement textures, with color correction or such. Maybe procedural textures might drive the displacement, No? .
The way how displacement works right now and probably in the future, is that it requires an image texture, since it needs to know the values of the texture at specific UV coordinates during compilation time so that it can do some precalculations. It also requires a very fast texture look up during ray traversal through displacement triangles. If it's slow, then displacement will crawl to a halt.
What we definitely still have planned is a way to bake procedural textures into images that then can be used for displacement, but I don't know when we get to it. Hopefully later this year. We made one change though: The 0-level of a displacement map is now defined in value space (i.e. 0..1) and not in absolute height anymore. This way you can set the 0-level to say 0.5 and fiddle around with the displacement height independently.
- And are there any speed and converging improvements using ies light or standard Octane lights? will there be one?
No, just general speed improvements due to the kernel work. PMC is also faster now in many scenes. Maybe it's worth giving it a try again, since it can deal much better with complicated lighting setups.
- Regarding 3dsMax plugin I would really appreciate you give us a roadmap to introduce more features. Like a scene Light lister, or Global Material override.
Only Jim can give you a roadmap here. All I can tell you is that he is working as fast as he can on his 3 plugins.
- What about Anisotropic reflections, Wire Texture to (acts like Polygon Side tex) use wire with renders? should we wait for them longer?
There is nothing planned here in the short term, but you can work around using bump maps and dirt textures.
- Rebuilding the core from groundup must have been a real challange. But I kind of waiting more and more of artistical feature. If you know what I mean.
It's not that we wanted to do this work, but we had no choice and had to it to allow other features.
- Lastly, I was amazed to see that volumetric object you posted with the announce of V3!
https://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octa ... rimitives/
Here is two of them.
How is it possible to do this? is this a VDB object?
These were some experiments of a new type of primitive Andrey did at the beginning of the year. What you can't see in those pictures though is the insane amount of time he needed to generate those primitives (up to 10min). Since we couldn't find a good way to generate them fast enough, we didn't continue developing them and focused on gaseous volumetrics for now.