OctaneRender® 2022.1 (updated 11/28)

Forums: OctaneRender® 2022.1 (updated 11/28)
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender® 2022.1 [current 2022.1]

Postby J.C » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 am

J.C Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 am
Thank you for the update.

Regarding the Reltime Button. Is it only useful when rendering on one gpu only?
When it is enabled with multiple GPUs the rendering slowdowns considerably.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Two issues.

Postby J.C » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:33 pm

J.C Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:33 pm
1. When nested dielectrics is disabled the image looks the same as it is enabled. It was different in previous versions.
2. A document saved with previous versions with some OCIO configuration enabled is unusable. Octane does not allow to disable it in Imager and makes it unusable unless new Imager node is created and attached to render target.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SSmolak » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:25 pm

SSmolak Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:25 pm
Standard Surface Material has missing Subsurface modes ( Diffusion, Random Walk ) :
standard_sss.jpg

https://clarissewiki.com/5.0/autodesk-s ... subsurface
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Two issues.

Postby john_otoy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 pm

john_otoy Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 pm
J.C wrote:1. When nested dielectrics is disabled the image looks the same as it is enabled. It was different in previous versions.

Thanks for the report. I can reproduce this when 2 materials have the same priority.

J.C wrote:2. A document saved with previous versions with some OCIO configuration enabled is unusable. Octane does not allow to disable it in Imager and makes it unusable unless new Imager node is created and attached to render target.

I cannot reproduce this. Can you provide a scene or steps?

I have attached a minimal scene saved in 2021.1 using an ACES config. If you load this into 2022.1 without the right OCIO config set in preferences, you'll get a warning dialog. This is expected.

You can choose to set the correct OCIO config or press OK and manually change imager > OCIO view to "None (sRGB)".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby karl » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 pm

karl Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 pm
J.C wrote:Regarding the Reltime Button. Is it only useful when rendering on one gpu only?

Yes, that's right - you can choose which device is used for real-time rendering in Preferences > Devices.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender® 2022.1 [current 2022.1] (updated 11/28)

Postby SSmolak » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 pm

SSmolak Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 pm
It was reported many times that bump maps are buggy while using them with UV Projection. Not only because of strength differences but they are little moved in 2D space in relation to other material inputs !

Using texture displacement in box projection the same issue as with bump but inverted - it is little moved in relation to other inputs - works fine in UV :

displacement_box.jpg

Bumps in UV looks totally different as in any other projection. They are overpowered and little moved in space :

bumps_UV.jpg

EDIT : Found it ! This is caused by Transform Node connected to Bump channel in UV projection. If Transform scale is not touched and scaling is done by UV tag it works fine

I moved it to C4D forum with solution : viewtopic.php?f=85&t=80831&p=419389#p419389

Please see - it looks fine using little UVW transform but still Bump power is too strong in UV compared to other projections :

bump_uv_correction.jpg

Difference in power is caused by transform node too - it blur bump image.

Problem is most visible in materials that use textures different from 1:1 aspect ratio.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:13 pm

J.C Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:13 pm
john_otoy wrote:
J.C wrote:2. A document saved with previous versions with some OCIO configuration enabled is unusable. Octane does not allow to disable it in Imager and makes it unusable unless new Imager node is created and attached to render target.

I cannot reproduce this. Can you provide a scene or steps?

I have attached a minimal scene saved in 2021.1 using an ACES config. If you load this into 2022.1 without the right OCIO config set in preferences, you'll get a warning dialog. This is expected.

You can choose to set the correct OCIO config or press OK and manually change imager > OCIO view to "None (sRGB)".

Ok, I've managed to set the OCIO to none but after scrolling from kernel settings down to the Imager setting. When I try to select Imager it does not switch to the imager settings.

The issue still persists when trying to open scene saved in 2021. The path to OCIO config is the same as in 2021 but in 2022 you have to select it again to make it work.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby john_otoy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:37 pm

john_otoy Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:37 pm
J.C wrote:Ok, I've managed to set the OCIO to none but after scrolling from kernel settings down to the Imager setting. When I try to select Imager it does not switch to the imager settings.

If you're talking about pressing the imager button on the node inspector toolbar, that only works once the render has started. You'll need to manually scroll down after selecting the render target.

J.C wrote:The issue still persists when trying to open scene saved in 2021. The path to OCIO config is the same as in 2021 but in 2022 you have to select it again to make it work.

Is this happening with the scene I attached? Unfortunately I can't reproduce it, but you may be doing something slightly different.

Can you please PM me with a simplified ORBX and a video so I can see what you're doing? Thanks
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:54 pm

Goldorak Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:54 pm
J.C wrote:Thank you for the update.

Regarding the Reltime Button. Is it only useful when rendering on one gpu only?

It currently only works on single GPU (multi-GPU support is coming after we finish more RT features in 2023). This mode is intended to provide maximum IPR fps and low latency speed, and will be the basis for future brigade work coming in 2023 with live temporal denoiser added on to of this mode. In 2022, you should see significantly faster rendering / less latency on single GPU, especially at higher resolutions where the scene isn't shading bound and RTX hardware can push the speed to 60 fps+.

https://twitter.com/RohanCreates/status ... 7681664000
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 pm

J.C Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 pm
john_otoy wrote:
J.C wrote:Ok, I've managed to set the OCIO to none but after scrolling from kernel settings down to the Imager setting. When I try to select Imager it does not switch to the imager settings.

If you're talking about pressing the imager button on the node inspector toolbar, that only works once the render has started. You'll need to manually scroll down after selecting the render target.

J.C wrote:The issue still persists when trying to open scene saved in 2021. The path to OCIO config is the same as in 2021 but in 2022 you have to select it again to make it work.

Is this happening with the scene I attached? Unfortunately I can't reproduce it, but you may be doing something slightly different.

Can you please PM me with a simplified ORBX and a video so I can see what you're doing? Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. It's working now. I've figured it out.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)