Camera Matching from Blender to Octane

Forums: Camera Matching from Blender to Octane
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Camera Matching from Blender to Octane

Postby BroAugustine » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

BroAugustine Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm
Hi,

I’ve put together a little model to help people visualize and set up camera placement to match their Octane and Blender models. This should hopefully also work for other modeling packages that can import OBJ files. This is for anyone who wants exact camera placement without having to know trigonometry.

Included in the zip file are Blender, OCS, OBJ and Mtl files.

As Blender units are meters, it matches in the OctaneAxis.ocs and OctaneAxis.blend files.
The Axes is where differences come in. Note that when translating between Octane's Z and Blender's Y the sign is flipped.
The following table shows how coordinates match:

Octane | Blender
X = X
Y = Z
Z = Y *-1

Image size as presented here is 1280x960 for both programs. Octane's FOV is 45 and approximates to Blender's Lens at 39.

If you extract all the files to D:\Octane\OctaneAxis, you should be able to open the OctaneAxis.ocs file in Octane without any problems. For a different directory, you'll have to edit the OBJ, OCS, and MTL files. If you only have the demo version, you’ll have to open the OBJ file.

Lets begin.
1. Click on the Preview Camera icon to bring up the “Mesh Preview Camera”. Click on the Expand All nodes button.
2. The “target” node should be 0,0,0 (viz. x,y,z). This is the rotation pivot of the whole scene. It is located at the center of the red sphere. In the Blender file, this is the intersection of the x,y, and z axis.
3. The “pos” node is where the camera is located and will always point toward the “target node”. This is why when you try to zoom and zoom and zoom, things come to a stand still. You can't get to an object beyond the "Target" position. The object you want to get to needs to become the new "target position" a spot before the target position. This will be demonstrated further on.
4. Zoom out with the middle mouse scroll button till you get a good view of the scene. Then hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse around. You’ll notice that everything pivots around the red sphere. If it doesn't, make sure that the "target node" is set to 0,0,0.
4. Now lets pivot around the 20 meter mark on the X-axis. To do this, enter 20 into the field for the X-axis in the “target” node. Move the mouse around. Notice that everything moves around the model's 20 meter X-axis mark.
5. Now try another spot like -40 meter Z-axis. In Blender, this corresponds to +40 Y-axis of Blender's grid (not the model's Y-axis). So, in Octane's field for the z-axis enter -40 and change the x and y axes to 0. Move the mouse and see how things work.
6. Now set the "target" node back to 0,0,0.
7. Lets move the camera to +40 z-axis. Enter 0 into the x-axis, 20 into the y-axis(height) and 40 into the z-axis. I think due to a bug in the program, the first time you do this and then move the mouse with the left mouse button, it reverts to a previous setting. But go ahead now and enter 0, 20, and 40 again. This time, use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom out. The word North should be at the top of the screen.
To set the same camera position in Blender, enter 0 in Loc X, -40 in Loc Y and 20 in Loc Z.
Now in Octane, zoom in to within a few meters of the red sphere.
8. Change the “target” node to -40 x, 0 y, 0 z and scroll the mouse wheel. You should see the -40m object at the same distance as you left off from the sphere. Zoom out a little and move the mouse around. You should see the word “West” close by. Do this exercise a few times and you'll understand how to place a camera anywhere within a large scene.

Now lets see how to match a camera position in Blender with Octane.
1. Open up OctaneAxis.blend. If the “Transform Properties” form isn’t up, Press N. Move the camera to a spot that you’d like to match in Octane.
2. Initially, just enter these values in the “Transform Properties” box to begin with. Enter the following Loc X: 40, Loc Y: 0, Loc Z: 20.
3. In Octane, Enter 0,0,0 in the “Target node” and 40, 20, 0 in the “Pos” node. Octane's X matches Blender’s “Transform Properties” Loc X, Octane Y matches Blender Z and Octane Z matches Blender Y *-1. The modeled axes are setup to match Octane's orientation for OBJ files exported from Blender.

In Blender, the camera has a constraint on the red sphere. In Octane, the camera always points at the camera's "target" position. If you move the red sphere in Blender, the camera will follow it. Move it to a position corresponding to a view you'd like to see in Octane. Change Octanes's "target" coordinates to match the coordinates of the red sphere. The views should more or less match.

There you have it, the camera positions now match in Blender and Octane.

Please note, if you set Octane’s "Target" node, it’ll remain intact as long as you don’t pan the scene using the right mouse button. Panning changes the "Target" location.

Summary
So how do you match a camera in Blender and Octane?

1. Click on the object that will be the target of your render.
2. Press N to bring up the "Transform Properties" form.
3. Move its “Transform Properties” (Loc X, Y, Z) settings to Octane’s corresponding "Target" settings, X to x, Y to -Z or -Y to Z, Z to Y.
4. Move the camera to a position pointing to the object of interest and convert its Loc X, Y, and Z settings to Octane’s "Pos" settings.

That's it! A visual tool to set up your camera in your modeling program to match Octane. Happy Octaning!

BroAugustine

OctaneAxis.zip
(562.81 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Attachments
OctaneAxis.jpg
Last edited by BroAugustine on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Win 7 64 | I7-2600K 3.7 GHz | GTX 460, GTX 760 / Driver 347.09 | Cuda 7.0.18
BroAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Camera Matching from Blender to Octane

Postby radiance » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:51 pm

radiance Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:51 pm
thanks, for that, that looks like a good scene to package with our releases too.
can i ?

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby BroAugustine » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm

BroAugustine Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm
Sure Radiance!

After doing this exercise, I now understand how the camera works. It wasn't so obvious before. If I had a city laid out in Blender, I could set Octane's camera to point to a refrigerator in Apt 2200b in the Berkshire building on Himmel Ave.

Knowing that one can only rotate around the target position and not zoom through it is not obvious. Hence, all the posts that talk about not being able to move the camera in further. If one wanted to do a precise video rotating around an object, one can "spin dup" an object in Blender around another object for however many frames they want in the video. Now transfer those coordinates to Octane for each object and you'll have a perfectly smooth fly around.

With this gained knowledge,
it seems as though a fly mode could easily be implemented by doing the following:

1. Using the target and camera position, calculate a point X distance beyond the target position along the line formed by the two points.
2. The new x,y,z coordinate now becomes the target position.
3. Advance toward the target position using the current code for zooming in or out.

Just a thought.

BroAugustine
Win 7 64 | I7-2600K 3.7 GHz | GTX 460, GTX 760 / Driver 347.09 | Cuda 7.0.18
BroAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Quandtum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Quandtum Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm
Excellent article, very helpful. One note to add (and if mentioned somewhere that I missed, apologies); If the Camera is parented (for example I TrackTo and parent to an Empty for the camera target), the transforms need to be applied and the parent must be removed ALT+P, Clear and Keep Transformation first. This will yield the real world transforms to use.

Thanks again for the excellent writeup.
Quandtum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby solrok » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 am

solrok Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 am
Hey Radiance,

In working with Octane I'm seeing the general need of a camera that is paralleled from one program to another to guarantee a tracked image. Blender to Octane, we have. We need to have Octane Camera to the 3d program of choice.

Can you create a camera settings file like a .chan for tracking a camera on the export of a still image from Octane?

That would let us use our camera setup from Octane to translate into new cameras into Blender/3dsMax/Maya/LW/XSi/c4d/modo/Nuke... which match the exact blocking for the animation in the reference still. Hugely helpful and makes the time spent in Octane super valuable.

Is there any hope to be able to animate the camera inside of Octane?

Cheers,
John
Win 7 64bit Pro | 3.06 950 i7 | 24GB RAM | 256 GB SSD boot | 256GB and 120GB SSD for cache| 12TB RAID 0 Adaptec 6405E | TANGENT WAVE PANEL | Quadro 600 (display), 1-580GTX-1.5GB
solrok
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby drBouvierLeduc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 pm

drBouvierLeduc Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 pm
Thanks for the hint, I was looking forward to achieve this.
ubuntu 10.10 | Geforce GTX560 | Core i7 950 | 16GB
drBouvierLeduc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 am

radiance Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 am
solrok wrote:Hey Radiance,

In working with Octane I'm seeing the general need of a camera that is paralleled from one program to another to guarantee a tracked image. Blender to Octane, we have. We need to have Octane Camera to the 3d program of choice.

Can you create a camera settings file like a .chan for tracking a camera on the export of a still image from Octane?

That would let us use our camera setup from Octane to translate into new cameras into Blender/3dsMax/Maya/LW/XSi/c4d/modo/Nuke... which match the exact blocking for the animation in the reference still. Hugely helpful and makes the time spent in Octane super valuable.

Is there any hope to be able to animate the camera inside of Octane?

Cheers,
John

Hi,

The addition of time in octane is definately something we would like to add, but it's a major change, i think it's something we would definately add after our v1.0 is finished.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby solrok » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 pm

solrok Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 pm
Radiance,

Camera animation would be a big change!

Re: Exported image reference and camera animation:

Will that include transferring the camera information from Octane in a common format like .chan for use in 3d app, Nuke and other camera tracking programs?

The Workflow seems to be:

1) Set up scene in 3D program
2) Find a rough shot and export scene and camera to Octane
3) In Octane, choose pathtracing, start moving the camera around to view details of scene, tune materials and their maps, emmitters, environment lighting or texture.
4) Set up the camera with new settings of FOV and Aperture to tune Depth of Field you're seeing.
5) Tune the Gamma and Imaging Properties like exposure, response curves or linear, Vignette, etc.
6) Now, the scene is ready to use for shot selection. Start moving the camera around the scene finding the sweet spots and angles with this camera setup and export the views as images that can be pulled into sequence out of Octane to work like a storyboard.

So, it's more about the camera settings and and the intrinsic relationship to the exported image that's important. Maybe Octane doesn't need to become an animation program. But, it does need to make that camera information and the scene settings available to drive camera creation in the animation program. Does the push to XML help this to happen?
Win 7 64bit Pro | 3.06 950 i7 | 24GB RAM | 256 GB SSD boot | 256GB and 120GB SSD for cache| 12TB RAID 0 Adaptec 6405E | TANGENT WAVE PANEL | Quadro 600 (display), 1-580GTX-1.5GB
solrok
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby orion_uk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:33 am

orion_uk Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:33 am
Hi, I am going to try and set this up by importing OBJ (Im new to Octane-2days!) Anyway..

Just to update info here..

I have Version 1.0 beta2.52 of Octane (extracted zip directly to D:\OctaneAxis) but get error message as shown in this screen cap image.

Just thought you might want to know so you can make changes if you have updated to Version 1.0 beta2.52 of Octane, to help new arrivals like me ;)
Attachments
cap-1.gif
OCS opening error.
Last edited by orion_uk on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.Neil-Isted.com
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
OctaneRender™ for Blender
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin
orion_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:21 am

face Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:21 am
Maybe this was an old scene which is not compatible with the 2.52.
Try to import the obj only.

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Resources and Sharing