Memory Leak?

Forums: Memory Leak?
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Memory Leak?

Postby crackfox » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:08 pm

crackfox Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:08 pm
is it at all possible that there is a memory leak going on somehow?
with every animation i am having an issue with crashing when i try to render the frames.
while rendering at higher samples (1000 4k) the scene memory consumption keeps increasing until it crashes.(crashes at some 40gb of ram)
lowering the samples works as expected, reaching some 20gb but then resetting to its lower end (10gb) when the frame is done.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Memory Leak?

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 am

ChrisHekman Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 am
I cannot recreate this issue.
What type of components are you using? Skeletal? Geometry Mesh?
Any special settings?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby crackfox » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 pm

crackfox Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 pm
hi chris,

sorry i cant be more specific.
i am using alembic files (imported as experimental geometry cache), orbx vdb files, sometimes AI lights and adaptive sampling and AI denoise.
i cant quite pinpoint it but definitely some odd behaviour that happens with more complex scenes. honestly i have no idea, but AI/adaptive stuff could maybe have something to do with with accumulating memory consumption.
a scene simply would not render in 1000 even 700 samples. i lowered to 200 and it did fine.

also not to make a thread for every small thing:
- octane still always crashes on exit
- the "selected camera" in the render target settings also reverts to none seemingly everytime there is a change in host settings (such as saving).
- i will post this separately but terrain displacement planes flicker in and out when doing any changes with them.
- the vdb files are being reset on the UE restart.
even if only moving the terrain around, it disappears and it takes a couple of rendering sample passes to be visible. they fade in and it looks like ghosting.
i usually use 8k maps but i think it happens with lower resolution as well iirc.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm

ChrisHekman Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm
Ill check out geo cache. In the meantime could you try to lower the "parallel samples" setting in the kernel? It is known to cause memory bloat.

Code: Select all
The "selected camera" in the render target settings also reverts to none seemingly everytime there is a change in host settings (such as saving).

I cannot recreate this. Could you provide a series of steps that causes this bug?

Code: Select all
- the vdb files are being reset on the UE restart.

Yea it appears changes to ORBX proxies are not saved atm. Im looking into this.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby crackfox » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 pm

crackfox Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 pm
thank you,

i will keep an eye on parallel samples. have not encountered the setting before, seems lowering it might be very helpful.

re camera:
quite simple, in the target settings i will pick the camera placed in and animated in the sequencer. if i save the level, the selected camera jumps to none.

this also happens when exporting the frames for instance: the exporter notifies me if i want to save any level changes and if i choose yes, the export starts but the camera is again decoupled from the octane render target. the directional light selected in the sunmode option sticks permamently without an issue fwiw.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Unreal® Engine