Orthographic Camera Control

Forums: Orthographic Camera Control
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Orthographic Camera Control

Postby reidstudio » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 am

reidstudio Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 am
What's the best way to work with orthographic cameras for UE4. I'm using the newest Octane version for UE4.24.

It seems like when using a camera, the controls are stuck and conflicting between what I control in Octane and what I set in the actual camera - with perspective and scale being frozen in Octane (what let's me set the width of the orthographic view - and isn't tied to the UE4 Camera's Orthographic width settings).

Orthographic cameras continue to be one of the most frustratingly underdeveloped components while trying to do architectural things - and I'm excited that I feel the Octane render can handle orthographic views well, it's just getting the camera settings to actually behave Im struggling with.
reidstudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Orthographic Camera Control

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm
reidstudio wrote:What's the best way to work with orthographic cameras for UE4. I'm using the newest Octane version for UE4.24.

It seems like when using a camera, the controls are stuck and conflicting between what I control in Octane and what I set in the actual camera - with perspective and scale being frozen in Octane (what let's me set the width of the orthographic view - and isn't tied to the UE4 Camera's Orthographic width settings).

Orthographic cameras continue to be one of the most frustratingly underdeveloped components while trying to do architectural things - and I'm excited that I feel the Octane render can handle orthographic views well, it's just getting the camera settings to actually behave Im struggling with.

It seems orthographic support got refactored out during some of the changes made for sequencer support. Ill check if I can add it back in.
It is a bit annoying, but i suspect that the best way to go it set the camera mode on the rendertarget to "none". And set the cam settings yourself.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Orthographic Camera Control

Postby reidstudio » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:19 pm

reidstudio Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:19 pm
I have a work around for the moment that allows me to still have some camera control.

OctaneRenderTargetActor is referencing a regular camera in the scene. The OctaneRenderTarget is set to 'Orthographic' and the scene target is set to Perspective, then use the scene camera's FOV to adjust the size of the visible ortho view.

The key is having access to the regular camera's FOV setting - that seems to be the key to enabling wider orthographic shots in Octane, since in OctaneRenderTarget - the FOV and ScaleView are inaccessible. And if the scene target is set to Orthographic, your the FOV control is gone (although Octane is still referencing the perspective FOV settings from the reg camera).

So I can still have a directed Ortho camera, just the settings are jumbled at the moment but the orthographic results look great - something that's been a pain in regular UE4 controls (and I use this stuff for arch elevations).
reidstudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Unreal® Engine