Walkable ORBX.

Forums: Walkable ORBX.
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Walkable ORBX.

Postby Jasonr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Jasonr Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:34 pm
Hello.
Is it possible to create a walkthrough by just importing an orbx fille?

I am using Archicad plugin and so far I have managed to import an orbx and just render the initial camera target.
Still haven't found how to go around and render the scene as I am only seeing this cube on the main screen. Guess this works like a proxy, right?
I have absolulutely no idea with unity bu I am a fast lerner. I will check several tutorials of how to make a first person walkthough
but before spending time I need someone to inform and confirm that the above method is possible.

Probaply someone will say why not importing the model straight from the 3dCAD to unity.
My workflow right now is optimized by using simultaneously Archicad with Octane. Unity will be used just to create the rendered walkthrough and not editing materials or lights.

Any help will be really appreciated.
Regards to all.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Walkable ORBX.

Postby Xhed » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 am

Xhed Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 am
The ORBX file does not create a bounding mesh which can be used by the walkthrough scripts, you only have the proxy object. If you don't need the walkthrough to be interactive, you can just animate the camera.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jasonr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am

Jasonr Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am
Thank you Xhed for the answer.
I want to use the walkthrough with an HTC VIVE.
So far I am using just 360 cubes from the Octane standalone but I am wondering if I it will be possible to go further and being able to create a first person game with unity by using the orbx.
For the moment I do not want any kind of interaction (opening doors. etc) It would be ideal to have a kind of obstacle adjustment for example walls but I guess the proxy will be considered as one entity.

In any case if I just use a first person camera to walk around the proxy by using the vive would that be possible?
Will that be exportable?

Thank you Xhed!
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jcp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

jcp Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am
I would also be interested in some more details on this. The guide to importing an ORBX file https://unity.otoy.com/guides/importing-orbx-files-into-octane-unity/ shows it coming in as a single cube, the details of which are only visible at render time. Is this an interim situation or will it always be like this? I had thought that it would be like importing into octane standalone where each of the elements of the scene would be separately available (and therefore editable) but perhaps this is just wishful thinking.
jcp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 am

Xhed Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 am
I am thinking about how to import ORBX content into Unity at a later time, but there are quite a few hurdles to overcome. We would need to map materials from Octane to Unity, need a way to deal with volumetrics, duplicate scene hierarchy and deal with polygon counts which are too large for Unity to handle, to name a few.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jasonr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 am

Jasonr Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 am
Xhed wrote:I am thinking about how to import ORBX content into Unity at a later time, but there are quite a few hurdles to overcome. We would need to map materials from Octane to Unity, need a way to deal with volumetrics, duplicate scene hierarchy and deal with polygon counts which are too large for Unity to handle, to name a few.

I understand the complexity for a normal full orbx import in a 3d manner, but for the moment for me this is not necessary.
The point is will I be able to create a walk ble first person walkthrough by just importing the orbx and render the game in octane as a first person camera?

I do not know anything about unity but I can search, Propably what I am describing above has simple steps as there is not 3d editing but just a set up for a camera and the prepared orbx file.
I do not know if it is possible to set an area walk limit by just viewing the cube orbx.

Thank you
Xhed. Any help will be valuable.
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 am

Xhed Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 am
I think the best approach would be to make a low-poly collision mesh for Unity to use. If you were to make a walkable environment with the complexity of a general ORBX scene, that is way too complex for Unity's physics engine anyway.

You can use the character controller to move around your scene after you've loaded the collision mesh: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-CharacterController.html
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jasonr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am

Jasonr Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am
Xhed wrote:I think the best approach would be to make a low-poly collision mesh for Unity to use. If you were to make a walkable environment with the complexity of a general ORBX scene, that is way too complex for Unity's physics engine anyway.

You can use the character controller to move around your scene after you've loaded the collision mesh: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-CharacterController.html

Yes. I understand that having for example furnitures in a room would be difficult to set them as obstacles when you just have an orbx file imported. I would have to create objects in unity and being able to located them exactly at
the coordinates of the orbx. It is like redesign the 3d form of the orbx in unity in order to created a real 3d mesh.

Saying the above it might be possible to export my initial 3d model and import it in unity.
Then I can import also the orbx and with a certain way I can place each other on top like joining them.
If it is possible to have the real 3d disappeared but functional in the octane render would that be a senario for having real collisions in a rendered walkthrough with octane????????
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Xhed Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm
Jasonr wrote:If it is possible to have the real 3d disappeared but functional in the octane render would that be a senario for having real collisions in a rendered walkthrough with octane????????

As I mentioned, we cannot load ORBX geometry into Unity. So no, if you want collision, not until we have ORBX importing into Unity working.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity