Recording Octane output with 3rd party tools

Forums: Recording Octane output with 3rd party tools
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Recording Octane output with 3rd party tools

Postby Helios » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Helios Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:52 pm
He Team Octane,

First of all, great start on the product I am very impressed with the quality.
I am an asset store publisher and make a tool called Helios, which is a video capture system for the existing Unity renderer.
I export both planar and 360 images/videos with my tool.

I am very interested to see how I can adapt my tools to work with your renderer as well so our mutual user base can take advantage of each others tech.
Do you offer any API to working with Octane in Unity?

All the best,

John from Helios
Helios

Re: Recording Octane output with 3rd party tools

Postby mytherapy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 am

mytherapy Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 am
I've been searching for info on recording video with Unity/Octane and I found this roadmap page: https://unity.otoy.com/roadmap/

Author cinematic camera movements and animation sequences inside of Unity using Unity Timeline, a visual sequencing tool to create cinematic content. Control sequences and compose shots with Cinemachine, a suite of procedural cameras that dynamically trigger the best shots based on scene composition and interaction.

EDIT:

I think its referring to this: https://docs.otoy.com/Unity_HTML/Unity. ... light=time
mytherapy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EFS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm

EFS Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm
I'd love to know the same thing. Currently we are exporting a series of .pngs and using Premiere to layer in audio. While this works ... its time consuming when we have so many small videos to create. I'll be the first to say that if Helios (or anyone else) came up with an easy solution for making Unity/Octane output final videos with audio working properly, I would be the first person to purchase it, as well as giving us one more reason to use Octane in Unity for future projects.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Helios » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Helios Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 pm
Well, I still have no answers here, but Helios is on sale right now...just sayin ;)
Helios

Postby EFS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:15 pm

EFS Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:15 pm
Helios wrote:Well, I still have no answers here, but Helios is on sale right now...just sayin ;)

Haha. Well, without this ability, I don't think I could get my boss to pay for it. But if this does get implemented, no worries buying it at full price ;).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Xhed Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:12 pm
Helios wrote:Do you offer any API to working with Octane in Unity?

Not yet, but we'll add this in the future.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm

EFS Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm
Helios wrote:Well, I still have no answers here, but Helios is on sale right now...just sayin ;)

I picked this up just to see if there is any way to make the workflow better than importing my rendered .pngs into Premiere.

Its not hard to create a timeline which changes the sprite every frame to the appropriate render (using an animation) and layering in audio. Is there any way to have Helios create a movie directly from that? What about if I wanted to batch a bunch of these timelines?

My workflow using premiere right now is a) render everything out, b) create each movie one by one. This is _not_ time efficient (forgetting about the fact that I'm not batching these renders yet either). If there were a way using Helios to cut Premiere out of the loop (especially if I could batch these movies), then that would be great. If not ... I'll just have to wait until Octane gets you the API you need.

Right now this is a pretty horrible workflow if your working on a large number of different movies as opposed to one large one.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Helios » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Helios Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm
Come join me on my Skype group chat at: https://join.skype.com/ux7ZAG2jPDBK
Helios

Return to Octane for Unity