Kernel settings issues (28.13)

Forums: Kernel settings issues (28.13)
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Re: Kernel settings issues (28.13)

Postby Andreas_Resch » Mon May 06, 2024 7:03 am

Andreas_Resch Mon May 06, 2024 7:03 am
In my version (28.13) the switching of kernels is synchronized between the Kernel Editor and the Render Settings. The only thing is, that when you connect a new kernel type to the Kernel Output node, it doesn't immediately switch in the Render Settings - you need to click somewhere and then it updates. Maybe that could be optimized.

But one thing that should be changed is, that when you open the Kernel Editor for the first time, the active kernel isn't active in the editor and thus not showing. That should be fixed. At least it stays there once it was selected, unlike the Octane Composite and the Octane Render AOV windows which always loose their focus when you switch out and back in. A long-standing bug.
Andreas_Resch

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 am

linograndiotoy Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 am
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I understand that even minor issues can be frustrating, but it's important to clarify how we prioritize fixes and improvements in Octane for Blender.

Our priority is generally based on the scale of impact a particular issue has on production workflows. For instance, we recently addressed a problem where a scene with linked objects was taking 45 minutes to load. By resolving this issue, we've managed to reduce the loading time to less than 20 seconds. This fix significantly enhances productivity for all users who face similar challenges, demonstrating the kind of high-impact improvements we aim to prioritize.

While we acknowledge that the issue you've mentioned is valid, it is considered minor because it does not substantially hinder productivity or the broader capabilities of the software. However, rest assured, it is still on our radar. We strive to balance high-priority fixes with ongoing enhancements, including addressing smaller bugs as we continue to develop and refine Octane for Blender.

Thank you for your understanding and for your contribution to making Octane for Blender a better tool for everyone.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Mon May 06, 2024 7:00 pm

J.C Mon May 06, 2024 7:00 pm
Andreas_Resch wrote:In my version (28.13) the switching of kernels is synchronized between the Kernel Editor and the Render Settings. The only thing is, that when you connect a new kernel type to the Kernel Output node, it doesn't immediately switch in the Render Settings - you need to click somewhere and then it updates. Maybe that could be optimized.

By switching Kernels I meant by switching Kernel node tree editor not the kernel itself.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Bug Reports