Okay, so I have done some more testing.. I will try and break it down into points below:
Firstly I tried hiding certain parts of the scene to see if it was object specific, but what I found was that the result was always the same, no matter, even with everything hidden, only a grid and a test pig left, still gets those segmentation error crashes.
Other things I have tried:
* disable hdri (no change)
* disable AI lighting / AI samples (no change)
* downgrade to octane 2018.1.2 (no change)
* downgrade to Octane 4 (latest build) (no change)
* downgrade nvidia driver to previous studio driver (no change)
Then I found out that many got segmentation errors because of two things.
1. TDR is too low in windows by default for many gpu accelerated apps and this can crash the driver (https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/gpu- ... 45489.html
However, I realized that by installing the redshift demo, it already changes this to 60 seconds (from 5 windows default) - and I even upped it to 120 (no change)
2. onboard audio drivers have a habit of crashing with houdini Qt UI something, basically some library can be outdated and houdini doesn't like it, anyway, tried to change audio drivers (no change)
Now here is the kicker... all of this is only a problem when rendering with Octane.... Redshift demo eats through this scene with no errors... mantra just renders and renderman seems to also just render.
The sad part is that it's clearly not scene specific either, as I first thought, because I managed to get the same error when creating a completely new scene, making a grid + pig + standard octane render setup with an HDRI, out of 150 frames it would crash about half way.
So not quite sure where to go from here. I will say though I have always had "odd" results when rendering overnight using octane, quite often I would get up in the morning and houdini would have crashed at some random point, now thinking back.
Other things to note:
* I am always using Path tracing as render engine* I am always using full scene reload
While typing this, I just went and did a test, same old "problem" scene, but I turned off full scene reload and left it on update scene (which I believe won't work with the hair sop and animated geo, but could be wrong), anyway, this is the first time I have rendered all 150 frames! not a single error!
It also kind of makes sense, because what I have noticed with the full scene reload, it feels like it is refreshing the houdini UI sometimes too. I got an interesting error saying that it couldn't find the redshift UI toolbar, just before getting the normal errors and eventually segmentation fail. But what was interesting is, that I got that error on startup too, which made sense because I just swapped the .env file around to load either octane or redshift without combining them properly, so if a tab was setup it would complain on start up since the plugin isn't loaded, anyway normal stuff! but I was surprised to see the error again after rendering 30 frames.
turning off full scene reload also completely removed the "can't find null error" that happens prior to the crash to desktop.
I'm sorry if im rambling but I am literally trying everything here, it's annoying me, so hopefully some of this means something to you