Random texture

Forums: Random texture
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Random texture

Postby TheNikand » Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm

TheNikand Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm
Hi. I have multiple wood panels that need random textures. Is it possible to have multiple textures but with setting controlled in one material?
Thanks

/Nikolaj
TheNikand
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Random texture

Postby juanjgon » Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm

juanjgon Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm
Are you working with instances or with a single object? A vertex attribute or the randomColor texture (for instances) node could help to build a material including several textures.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby TheNikand » Tue May 25, 2021 10:13 am

TheNikand Tue May 25, 2021 10:13 am
My vertex attribute approach didn't work because * is not accepted for "Vertex Vector Attr" in object octane panel. Manually picking Cd and it works. Maybe something for Otoy to correct?

Out of curiousity I tried to use the octane Procedural_randomColor too as input in gradient node but no luck. I copied some boxes on a grid(packed and intanced) with Cd attibute. Am I missing something?

Sorry for my late reply and thanks for your answer.
TheNikand
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue May 25, 2021 6:48 pm

juanjgon Tue May 25, 2021 6:48 pm
TheNikand wrote:My vertex attribute approach didn't work because * is not accepted for "Vertex Vector Attr" in object octane panel. Manually picking Cd and it works. Maybe something for Otoy to correct?

Out of curiousity I tried to use the octane Procedural_randomColor too as input in gradient node but no luck. I copied some boxes on a grid(packed and intanced) with Cd attibute. Am I missing something?

Sorry for my late reply and thanks for your answer.

Yes, currently you need to declare each attribute to be used. "*" will not work currently because the idea is to don't extract all the available attributes, sometimes a lot of them, wasting extraction time and GPU memory. Only the attributes used by the shaders should be declared there. It is true that perhaps some kind of smart shaders extraction including the automatic extraction of the used attributes could be possible from the plugin side. I'll think about it.

Can you please share the scene with the problem while using the randomColor texture to take a look at it here?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini