Animated textures

Forums: Animated textures
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Animated textures

Postby allenh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 am

allenh Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 am
Hi;

I'm trying to render something onto which I'd like to map an animated texture.

Inside an Octane Network, I have a TextureImageRGB node. Into the Filename parameter, I've entered a path like this:

$HIP/animatedImage/ahimatedImage.$F.jpg

I notice that Octane seems to render the expected image when I do an IPR render, but does NOT render an animated texture when I do a batch render. Can someone help me understand how to do this properly?
allenh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Animated textures

Postby allenh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:32 pm

allenh Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:32 pm
Further debugging this problem, I realize I've misdiagnosed my problem. To add clarity:

I have a plane (a "grid" in Houdini parlance) onto which I'm projecting camera UVs. I'm mapping a live-action plate onto this geometry (so, my image sequence is animated, as are the UVs on the grid).

What I find is that the animated plate texture is indeed updating, but the camera UV's are NOT. This leads to some odd artifacts that were tricky to visually diagnose.

I find that if I set the RenderingMode parameter on my Octane ROP to "Full Scene Reload" rather than "Update...", the camera UVs seem to update per-frame properly.

Would anyone be able to direct me to some documentation that explains this in detail, so that I may understand it better?
allenh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Animated textures

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 am

juanjgon Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 am
You have some details about this feature in the docs:
https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/ ... -rop/main/

Update the mesh UVs could be indeed one of the features not supported in update node, so as have found a full scene reload for each frame is needed.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini