NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby iRota » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:31 am

iRota Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:31 am
aoktar wrote:I'm talking for a developer not Otoy. Because I'm writing the plugin and facing the problems with Apple updates and doesn't allow to use old development tools in new operation systems. This is a shame for my opinion, you can't see this problem on Windows. I can easily support every C4D version until hit to very big problem on making the builds. Because of Apple's way, we may stuck at some point and choose the one way of twos. Also there are other problems to further in Octane Core as I can estimate. So nobody is leaving the users by own wish, just an obligation.
We'll try to build PR15 but I assume that will be last build we can do. I hope that I'm wrong!

I really appreciate the sincere insight. Thanks.
iRota
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bokasonic » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:56 pm

bokasonic Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:56 pm
bepeg4d wrote:
bokasonic wrote:@aoktar - as for the Apple M release of the Octane plugin, do you have an estimate of when the install process and LiveDB will be resolved? Thanks for all your work.

For LiveDB with M1/M2 we need to wait upcoming 2024.1 SDK, but there is a workaround.

If you own a Studio+ license, it is possible to install C4D-OctaneX PR14 Studio for AMD in a different C4D version (like C4D R23, S24, R25 or R26), go to LiveDB, download and save the materials in an already saved c4doctane scene, and open it with M1/M2 version to import the materials from LiveDB to your scene.
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... o_PR14.zip

Note that you need to select the Cinema 4D.app, press Command+I, to get the Info panel, and enable the **Open using Rosetta** option, in order to be able to run an AMD version on M1/M2, and you cannot do anything with this version, only access and download materials from LiveDB in an already saved scene:

ciao,
Beppe

Thank you Beppe, appreciate you always trying to help as best as you can. As far as the other part of my question, the install process / security gateway thingy, do you know if that's being worked on?
bokasonic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nycjunglist » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:14 am

nycjunglist Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:14 am
bepeg4d wrote:@GPerrone: OctaneX for iPad is broken only due to iPadOS 17 update, it is working correctly with iPadOS 16, anyway, a new version supporting iPadOS 17 is on the go, and will be published on App Store asap.

@mitchino: we need to wait for first 2023.2 Alpha version to see what the devs have been able to implement.

ciao,
Beppe

I recently picked up an iPad with iPad OS 16.5.1 and Octane X doesn’t seem to be saving files correctly. So despite the fact that I can compose a scene, whatever its saving out is lost. Also, files seem to be saved out with a modification date specifically of May 18, 2023, and only have a file size of 1 byte. Attempting to import or open the file results in an error which I’ve attached a screenshot of.
Attachments
IMG_0052.jpeg
Ryzen 9 3950x | 128 GB RAM | 2x 3080Ti
nycjunglist
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricky_otoy » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:25 am

ricky_otoy Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:25 am
nycjunglist wrote:
bepeg4d wrote:@GPerrone: OctaneX for iPad is broken only due to iPadOS 17 update, it is working correctly with iPadOS 16, anyway, a new version supporting iPadOS 17 is on the go, and will be published on App Store asap.

@mitchino: we need to wait for first 2023.2 Alpha version to see what the devs have been able to implement.

ciao,
Beppe

I recently picked up an iPad with iPad OS 16.5.1 and Octane X doesn’t seem to be saving files correctly. So despite the fact that I can compose a scene, whatever its saving out is lost. Also, files seem to be saved out with a modification date specifically of May 18, 2023, and only have a file size of 1 byte. Attempting to import or open the file results in an error which I’ve attached a screenshot of.

Hi nycjunglist, as a workaround for now try see if you can use 'Save Project As...' within the tablet mode. It will create a package file but should save your work.
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nycjunglist » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:55 am

nycjunglist Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:55 am
ricky_otoy wrote:
Hi nycjunglist, as a workaround for now try see if you can use 'Save Project As...' within the tablet mode. It will create a package file but should save your work.

Thanks ricky, that works. It seems that saving in Standalone mode isn’t functioning as intended.

If I may leave a suggestion, there should be a quicker way to invoke the “right-click” menu in the node graph editor. Currently, I see that a single tap-and-hold brings the menu up after 3 seconds or so, but a double-tap would be much quicker.
Ryzen 9 3950x | 128 GB RAM | 2x 3080Ti
nycjunglist
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dean » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:10 am

Dean Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:10 am
Is it safe to upgrade macOS Sonoma to version 14.1? Will Octane X work? I would rather know and not wait another 3 weeks so I can continue working :)
Dean
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tripledistilled » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:40 pm

tripledistilled Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:40 pm
Dean wrote:Is it safe to upgrade macOS Sonoma to version 14.1? Will Octane X work? I would rather know and not wait another 3 weeks so I can continue working :)

2023.1 is working fine for me in Sonoma 14.1 yep.

(The iOS app is still busted in 17.1 however.)
tripledistilled
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby davidvonbehr » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:09 pm

davidvonbehr Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:09 pm
Dear OTOY team,

so ... Apple has finally released the new M3 chips with hardware raytracing. Do you already know how this affects Octane's render performance?

Apple claims nearly double the performance for the M3 Max 40 GPU core compared the the M2 Max with 38 GPU cores.
Did you already have the chance to run octane on a new machine?
davidvonbehr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby LeoSch » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:27 pm

LeoSch Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:27 pm
Hi OTOY / aoktar,

I'm using OctaneX Prime, and was wondering if the Plugin Download for Cinema 4D will be made available and updated to version 2023.1 on this page (currently still on 2022.1.2):

https://render.otoy.com/shop/primex.php

As a Free Tier user, it seems I don't have the right to download it directly from the c4d forum section, nor can I comment there.

I'd be very grateful,
Thanks
LeoSch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:55 am

bepeg4d Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:55 am
New OctaneX for iPadOS 17 with 2023.1 features has been released on AppStore:
IMG_0198.jpeg

IMG_0200.png

IMG_0202.png