Saving image not working?

Forums: Saving image not working?
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Saving image not working?

Postby Sheiken » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 am

Sheiken Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 am
I cant save the rendered image from the Octane window in UE4.24.
If I save a PNG it does show up in the Windows Quick Assess folder, but when I try opening it I get a message that the file does not exist. When I look at the folder where I saved it it is not there.

My PMC Kernel is not working.
Another issue is that when I re-import assets to UE (from SketchUp using DataSmith) the changes are not all updated to Octane. I have to close UE4 and reopen, and then restart Octane to get the changes updated. Or is there another way?
Smoke and fire is not working, but that probably just isn't implemented yet?
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Saving image not working?

Postby Sheiken » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Sheiken Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:36 pm
Still having the same issues with 0.31.
PNG save is not working properly. The files are somehow corrupted.
PMC kernel says it is rendering, but the screen remains gray. Is that just me?
I always get a crash when closing UE, but it could be related to something else than the Octane plugin, I guess.

I hadn't tried the Cinematic Camera with Octane before. I can not figure out how to set the focal point. When I switch Camera Mode to Viewport I can set it in the Octane viewport again... Is that a bug, or just my limited knowledge of Octane and UnrelEngine?
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sheiken » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Sheiken Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:36 pm
Still having the same issues with 0.31.
PNG save is not working properly. The files are somehow corrupted.
PMC kernel says it is rendering, but the screen remains gray. Is that just me?
I always get a crash when closing UE, but it could be related to something else than the Octane plugin, I guess.

I hadn't tried the Cinematic Camera with Octane before. I can not figure out how to set the focal point. When I switch Camera Mode to Viewport I can set it in the Octane viewport again... Is that a bug, or just my limited knowledge of Octane and UnrelEngine?
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm
The PMC kernel does not work with the denoiser. Which is why it shows up grey. The normal beauty pass should work.
You can select the beauty pass in the top right of the octane viewport.

I cant save the rendered image from the Octane window in UE4.24.
If I save a PNG it does show up in the Windows Quick Assess folder, but when I try opening it I get a message that the file does not exist. When I look at the folder where I saved it it is not there.

This is very odd. Can you save to a different folder? Does this also happen when you are not using the PMC kernel?

Another issue is that when I re-import assets to UE (from SketchUp using DataSmith) the changes are not all updated to Octane. I have to close UE4 and reopen, and then restart Octane to get the changes updated. Or is there another way?
Smoke and fire is not working, but that probably just isn't implemented yet?

Annoyingly some of these asset re-imports cannot be detected. Reloading the level should work. Also when it comes to textures and meshes, you can try to press the eye icon in the scene outliner on Actors that use them.

When you use "selected camera " as the Camera Mode, the focal point should be copied over from the unreal cinematic camera you select in the "Selected camera" box.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Sheiken » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 am

Sheiken Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 am
So, PMC is working fine. I just didn't switch the view port to main. Maybe the de-noised view should be disabled automatically when using the PMC kernel, would reduce the possibility of confusion...

There is improvement in my Saving PNG to disk. I didn't change anything except I disconnected. My OneDrive. Could that be it?
I had problems with my Octane-SketchUp textures. It was related to OneDrive (documents folder was backed up to OneDrive, and Octane tried unsuccessfully to write textures to the cloud).
Octane still doesn't write the .PNG suffix to the file automatically. I get two files: one proper png with the suffix, and an empty file with the same name and no suffix. The proper one is create with a short delay.
I just tested the same thing from the SketchUp version of Octane, and it writes a proper PNG (the preview icon didn't appear in front of the filename straight away, tho). I haven't noticed the same kind of problem with other software on my system.
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:10 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:10 pm
So, PMC is working fine. I just didn't switch the view port to main. Maybe the de-noised view should be disabled automatically when using the PMC kernel, would reduce the possibility of confusion

Yea its similar to what octane standalone does, which just shows a black render.
Ill check if i can add some information to remove the confusion.

Octane still doesn't write the .PNG suffix to the file automatically. I get two files: one proper png with the suffix, and an empty file with the same name and no suffix. The proper one is create with a short delay.
I just tested the same thing from the SketchUp version of Octane, and it writes a proper PNG (the preview icon didn't appear in front of the filename straight away, tho). I haven't noticed the same kind of problem with other software on my system.

This is qutie odd and I cannot find a way to fix this.
Does this also happen when you export to png from the Octane GUI? and not from the Unreal Octane viewport
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Bug Reports