OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06 - 10.19 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06 - 10.19 [OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: JimStar

Re: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06 - 10.19 [STABLE]

Postby gah5118 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

gah5118 Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm
This is why I still use my stand alone workflow... exporting alembic files. Maya's interface for material assignment has always been terrible. piggy backing off of that rather than integrating or linking to the octane interface is mind blowing and lazy I think.

The only thing the plugin is good for is it's alembic exporter. although, it needs to export the frames properly (it starts on frame 0 and for some reason octane doesn't want to render frame 0 with batch render). This also messes with workflow since you have to remember... 1=0, 5=4, etc.

I know others might disagree.. but knowing what it takes to develop something, I'd love to see 2 pipelines... one that keeps this updated for compatibility so those who subject themselves to this "workflow" can keep moving... a second which totally rejects this mess and rebuilds from the ground up. This should begin with a outline of objectives which we are brought in on to discuss and give feedback before development (coding) begins. Start with the UX/UI objectives rather than wasting time coding something that will be as frustrating as the plugin is already. In addition... hire competent designers/coders to make this happen at the level it should.

The plugin by itself is $269. I bought my own copy for testing when it was in the beta days and keep it up to continue to test it to see if its something worth my company getting. I can not justify buying this to my boss currently for our machines. It simply slows down our processes and gets in our way.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby L_E_X » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:21 pm

L_E_X Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:21 pm
I'm not glad to. I have many bug with maya plugin and octane, such as: uv sets, cuda errror 999 on complex scenes and bad motion vector pass...
i always waiting new version with working features.
5x-Gtx1080 Ti+ 4x-Gtx 780 Ti, 2x-Xeon 2687W, 192Gb Ram
L_E_X
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:10 am

Jolbertoquini Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:10 am
Bug With Adaptive sampling TAB "expected exposure" set a value of "0" is not possible and "0" should switch off this option please check Standalone.

"Expected exposure: The expected exposure should be approximately the same value as the exposure in the imager or "0" to ignore this setting. The default is "0". It's used by adaptive sampling to determine which pixels are bright and which are dark, which obviously depends on the exposure setting in the imaging settings..."

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60014

Best,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:11 am

Goldorak Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:11 am
gah5118 wrote:This is why I still use my stand alone workflow... exporting alembic files. Maya's interface for material assignment has always been terrible. piggy backing off of that rather than integrating or linking to the octane interface is mind blowing and lazy I think.

The only thing the plugin is good for is it's alembic exporter. although, it needs to export the frames properly (it starts on frame 0 and for some reason octane doesn't want to render frame 0 with batch render). This also messes with workflow since you have to remember... 1=0, 5=4, etc.

I know others might disagree.. but knowing what it takes to develop something, I'd love to see 2 pipelines... one that keeps this updated for compatibility so those who subject themselves to this "workflow" can keep moving... a second which totally rejects this mess and rebuilds from the ground up. This should begin with a outline of objectives which we are brought in on to discuss and give feedback before development (coding) begins. Start with the UX/UI objectives rather than wasting time coding something that will be as frustrating as the plugin is already. In addition... hire competent designers/coders to make this happen at the level it should.

The plugin by itself is $269. I bought my own copy for testing when it was in the beta days and keep it up to continue to test it to see if its something worth my company getting. I can not justify buying this to my boss currently for our machines. It simply slows down our processes and gets in our way.

Sorry I may be misreading your point, but are you saying you want access to the standalone workflow UX in Maya as an option along with the native integration. If so, it's possible in 3.07. The Unity changes we made for the next release basically can load almost th etnire SA UX system from the plug-in API, and at least in Unity, it works bi-derectionally with the native Unity mirros of Octane assets.

We did this as a generic solution for ORBX 'importing' in any plug-in, with the SA UX allowing you to theoritically use Octane UX to modify ORBX proxy's that were previously black boxes in earlier releases.

This may be not at all what you were asking about, but if it is, please let us know. I'd like to collect more feedback on how this might help other plug-ins beyond Unity, SU, AE and Nuke.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:18 pm

calus Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:18 pm
Goldorak wrote:Sorry I may be misreading your point, but are you saying you want access to the standalone workflow UX in Maya as an option along with the native integration. If so, it's possible in 3.07. The Unity changes we made for the next release basically can load almost th etnire SA UX system from the plug-in API, and at least in Unity, it works bi-derectionally with the native Unity mirros of Octane assets.

We did this as a generic solution for ORBX 'importing' in any plug-in, with the SA UX allowing you to theoritically use Octane UX to modify ORBX proxy's that were previously black boxes in earlier releases.

This may be not at all what you were asking about, but if it is, please let us know. I'd like to collect more feedback on how this might help other plug-ins beyond Unity, SU, AE and Nuke.

I know what Gha is waiting for and this is basicaly the bidirectionnal workflow you describe for unity.

We had previously access to something similar in the Kay's development branch, a "debugger", but was only a one way Octane nodegraph Editor of the Maya scene...
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 pm

gah5118 Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 pm
Yes, being able to access octane ui ux inside of maya and have seamless workflow would be amazing. No offense or rift with the maya folks... but the native workflow is way to slow for our needs and we move much faster exporting to octane. On this note... taking it one step further... if it can be integrated to the point that the renders can be also run outside of maya using the batch render nodes; this would be supreme.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:53 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:53 am
Goldorak wrote:Sorry I may be misreading your point, but are you saying you want access to the standalone workflow UX in Maya as an option along with the native integration. If so, it's possible in 3.07. The Unity changes we made for the next release basically can load almost th etnire SA UX system from the plug-in API, and at least in Unity, it works bi-derectionally with the native Unity mirros of Octane assets.

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that with 3.07 the Maya plugin will have the same UI interface as the Standalone??? That would be the best thing ever, since the current Maya UI "integration" is just awful.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

Goldorak Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am
The entire standalone UX interface is working in the 3.07 plugin API within Unity editor and soon Sketchup. With the improvements in threading system to get this to work in the plugin API, it should now be possible to use this in all plugins that want to expose this UX as a fallback for .ORBX proxy import into host app or as the primary UX for any Octane nodes that are created by the plugin itself and don't map well for the host app UX (e.g. Unity doesn't have a Node editor).

At least in Unity we have confirmed you can change an Octane value in the native unity UX and/or Octane SE UX and it is mirrored in both at the same time and even rendered in the SA window (also working in 3.07) as well as embedded Unity Octane viewport.

There's another useful feature from the roadmap to 3.1 that should be coming in 3.07, might have screenshot next week.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 am
Goldorak wrote:The entire standalone UX interface is working in the 3.07 plugin API within Unity editor and soon Sketchup. With the improvements in threading system to get this to work in the plugin API, it should now be possible to use this in all plugins that want to expose this UX as a fallback for .ORBX proxy import into host app or as the primary UX for any Octane nodes that are created by the plugin itself and don't map well for the host app UX (e.g. Unity doesn't have a Node editor).

At least in Unity we have confirmed you can change an Octane value in the native unity UX and/or Octane SE UX and it is mirrored in both at the same time and even rendered in the SA window (also working in 3.07) as well as embedded Unity Octane viewport.

There's another useful feature from the roadmap to 3.1 that should be coming in 3.07, might have screenshot next week.

Your explanation was overly complicated for me.
Will Octane Standalone User Interface will be available in the Maya plugin in the 3.07? Yes or no?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am

Goldorak Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am
It should, yes, barring some issue in Maya we haven't hit in SU and Unity testing so far. We'll find it shortly after we get the new SDK out to the other plugin devs.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Releases