Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h [superseded]

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 am

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 am
This is beta.h
Octane_1022h.zip
(248.53 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
It should resolve the Mac command execution issue ["bash"-ed it] - Mac users please try it and feedback asap.

This new version shouldn't affect PC users but you are urged to install it anyway, so you stay 'in step'...

From now on - as requested by Radiance - each new version will be getting its own thread, so look for the latest one - it'll be shown in the title...
Please post any feedback / comments etc for this version only [beta.h] in this thread to keep it manageable.
Last edited by TIG on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta h

Postby Nemo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Nemo Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 pm
This version is usable for me (last one I tested was version b or d). Some materials, however, like glass don't come in with the opacity set. This is a problem I have with the su2objmtl exporter as well so I'm not sure what could be done about it.

I tried a two scene/two frame animation and Octane crashed after rendering the first frame for a few seconds.
GeForce 8800 GTS 512|Q6600|Win7 64bit
Nemo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:13 pm

SurfingAlien Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:13 pm
Hi TIG,
still no good news from the Mac side... the permissions prob seems solved now, but the plugin still doesn't work.
I tried some manual tweaks to the .command files but I always get some (different!) error warning in the console.

just a question: does the plugin have to point to the Octane.app or directly to the Unix executable hidden into the "app" folder? I tried both ways and no one is working, but I would like to try only the right way from now on...

any other Mac/Sketchup/Octane user out there???

cheers,
A
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:14 pm

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:14 pm
soloughlin221 wrote:Hello TIG,
I'm having a number of problems with beta h and all previous betas.
1. Missing geometry - When I select the "render frame" option in the sketchup to octane exporter the scene is exported to octane, however some of the geometry appearing in the sketchup program does not succesfully export to octane and therefore i am left with only bits of my scene in octane. The missing geometry seems to be from other skp files that i have downloaded from the sketchup warehouse and imported into my sketchup scene.
2. Render animation not working - When I select the "render animation" option in the sketcup to octane exporter a dialog box pops up named "Administrator: Animation" and closes and thats it. The sketchup file has a number of scenes.
I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit with Octane 1.022 64 bit and Sketchup 7 on a GTX 260
Thanks.

Can you PM the problem skp to me - you should zip it. Can you also include the 'Octane project folder' in the zip with the .ocs, .obj, .mtl and .cmd files, Textures folder etc...
Can you retry the 'Render Animation' using two scenes, step=1, with camera and sun checked in export config, and pixels=8 so the rendered frames are done quickly - also double check that the folder exists for the images to be made into before you run it - that should be 'trapped' but that might be the glitch...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:19 pm

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:19 pm
_Nemo_ wrote:This version is usable for me (last one I tested was version b or d). Some materials, however, like glass don't come in with the opacity set. This is a problem I have with the su2objmtl exporter as well so I'm not sure what could be done about it.
I tried a two scene/two frame animation and Octane crashed after rendering the first frame for a few seconds.

There is an error in the alpha settings for the su2objmtl code - this is corrected in this tool - you should get the alpha transparency coming over ?
Can you PM me a zip file containing the the SKP and the Octane project folder with the ocs, obj, mtl, cmd files and Texture folder etc...

Try the 'Render Animation' again with 2 or three scenes step=1 and pixels = 8 so they render quickly - ensure that the folder exists for the images - it should be trapped out but might be a problem still...

Include the anim cmd files in the zip if too if it's still not working...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Nemo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Nemo Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 pm
TIG, I have to go to class right now but I should be able to make those tests and send you those files later today.
GeForce 8800 GTS 512|Q6600|Win7 64bit
Nemo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 pm

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 pm
SurfingAlien wrote:Hi TIG,
still no good news from the Mac side... the permissions prob seems solved now, but the plugin still doesn't work.
I tried some manual tweaks to the .command files but I always get some (different!) error warning in the console.
just a question: does the plugin have to point to the Octane.app or directly to the Unix executable hidden into the "app" folder? I tried both ways and no one is working, but I would like to try only the right way from now on...
any other Mac/Sketchup/Octane user out there???
cheers,
A

I'd expect it to have to point at the full executable app.
The example given in the latest Octane pdf is unclear $ octane \"OctaneBenchmark\octane_benchmark for 1022 beta 2.2rc.ocs\"
[I corrected their typo \ to /]
Please try manually adding a '$ ' to the start of the line that runs Octane ?
Presumably their 'octane' is the full path to the executable [binary] file too ??
If adding this '$ ' works let me know, asap, I can easily add that to the file format.
Have you tried changing the first line to plain old #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/csh [rather than #!/bin/bash] - as I have no access to a Mac and my Unix shell-scripting is 15 years rusty I need help too - I thought that #!/bin/bash was the latest built in friend GNU shell command ? ...
If none of this improves things then can you PM me the original .command files etc - .zip or .rar them. Include any tweaked versions that you think might be more workable too...
Thanks for your Mac feedback so far - I feel we are getting near to fixing this issue for the Mac, so please bear with me...
You shall go to the ball... ;)
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm
_Nemo_ wrote:TIG, I have to go to class right now but I should be able to make those tests and send you those files later today.

Thanks - that's great :D
I too now see the possible 'glitch'... and I'm looking at it - but your feedback would be appreciated too...

It seems that the alpha opacity ['d'] value in the OBJ's MTL file is simply ignored by Octane.
It is properly set in the Octane exported OBJ/MTL files, just as in the SUp Pro OBJ/MTL versions.
[although it's mistakenly set to 'transparency' in the su2obj script, so it takes 30% opacity which should become 0.30 as 0.70 (=1.00-0.30)].
This disregarding of the MTL's opacity value might be done like this deliberately by Octane with a re-link to a mesh OBJ - because you can manually adjust a material's opacity in the Octane .ocs project project and then save it, and later when you re-render it with a new OBJ/MTL file it will remember the materials' current opacity settings [of any previously imported materials], and it will NOT take the SKP>OBJ opacity value... I can see the logic - you don't want to spend ages setting opacity etc in Octane only for it to be overridden by the SKP's values on a re-render from 'Render Frame'.
Similarly if you make your ..anim.ocs version as a copy of the main ocs it will keep any customized material settings and reuse them in the animation png frames exported...
Although the Octane exported OBJ/MLT files do have the correct opacity set from the SKP, Octane quite simply doesn't use it - these files do work OK, because importing them into another application WILL bring in transparent materials with the expected settings !

So to recap - I think it's not a problem with the Octane exporter at all, but it's rather a logical stance by Octane - whereby it ignores imported data that could otherwise screw around with your current carefully crafted settings. Set up the project - run SUp's exporter 'Render Frame' once - then in the Octane ocs adjust opacities etc as desired - either manually till it looks right or if you want to match the SKP's values then look at the material's % opacity in the SUp Materials Browser and convert it to a decimal number < 1, OR perhaps even easier read the MTL file itself, where each material has a 'd' value which is its opacity [last item in its data list - e.g. 0.52] - copy that value into the appropriate Octane ocs Material's opacity value: save the ocs project: now later when you have changed the model and want to re-render it, in SUp 'Render Frame' again and the Octane ocs project will [re]open with the new view, new geometry and changed materials etc, BUT any previously used materials with opacities you had previously set will be rendered - NOT those from the SKP. Any new transparent SKP materials will need their opacities tweaking in the ocs etc etc etc :geek:
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:02 pm

SurfingAlien Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:02 pm
TIG wrote:I'd expect it to have to point at the full executable app.
The example given in the latest Octane pdf is unclear $ octane \"OctaneBenchmark\octane_benchmark for 1022 beta 2.2rc.ocs\"
[I corrected their typo \ to /]
Please try manually adding a '$ ' to the start of the line that runs Octane ?
Presumably their 'octane' is the full path to the executable [binary] file too ??
If adding this '$ ' works let me know, asap, I can easily add that to the file format.
Have you tried changing the first line to plain old #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/csh [rather than #!/bin/bash] - as I have no access to a Mac and my Unix shell-scripting is 15 years rusty I need help too - I thought that #!/bin/bash was the latest built in friend GNU shell command ? ...
If none of this improves things then can you PM me the original .command files etc - .zip or .rar them. Include any tweaked versions that you think might be more workable too...
Thanks for your Mac feedback so far - I feel we are getting near to fixing this issue for the Mac, so please bear with me...
You shall go to the ball... ;)

Hi!
almost there... now I'm able to crash Octane calling the .command from the console :o :lol:

I'm in a hurry now, will post something later this evening (CET)

cheers,
A
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:42 pm

TIG Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:42 pm
We advance one step at a time...
TIG