VR access for clients

Forums: VR access for clients
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

VR access for clients

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:42 am

v-cube Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:42 am
Hello Octane Team,

I would like to call your attention to an "old" wish which I posted the last time in june 2016, my recurring problem is that I would like to be able to bring my clients a hassle free, undisturbed and uncomplicated VR experience in a high level environment.
I am currently able to create nice VR tours with several high quality connected stereoscopic panoramas, everything could be so nice...
But then my problems begin, I have to distribute this to my client and he has to access them through the totally not adequate oculus home portal, plastered with game advertisements and alike -> it look just cheap !

Oh boy, it would be so cool to have a customizable, client specific portal that pops up when the s6 is inserted instead of this oculus thing... this would solve so much problems I have , I would love to pay a significant amount of money to have this option... I think I am not the only one:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=54531&p=278042#p278042

Is there any chance we will ever have this ?

still hoping

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VR access for clients

Postby glimpse » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm

glimpse Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm
Well I guess with time there will be some sort of solution (I would be very surprised if not).

For now though, the best (simple solution for clients) I managed to find was vrto.me - what allows You to upload multiple panoramas & give a link.
few things to note: it did not want to work too good with android.. I just checked on S7 Edge again. Once it's in hand it seems to track everything just fine, however when You put it inside GearVR, Oculus home will open browser inside & things like tracking slow down a lot making experience really bad. I just talked with creator of this service & he knows about this problem. Actually he mentioned that on iPhone it works fine, but for some reason on android it mess things up.

So, if You have client with iPhone, giving him Your own branded cardboard + a link might work for now ;) alternatively something like Zeiss VR One might be needed. Hope that gives some option at least, while we wait for better solution.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

v-cube Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm
Hello Glimpse,

thank you for your suggestion, I am looking at the website right now... seems quite interesting , although I am a bit uneasy about the fact that you do not run this locally on the phone (at least that's what i understand... ) -> another thing that might go wrong...

anyway I will try it out and see how it compares...

thanks again

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:08 pm

glimpse Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Yeah, it runs like a web service meaning You get a link & can open that. As mentioned it's not perfect, but try it & feel free to get in touch with those Guys as they see to be pretty friendly. I'm sure You can get like test drive or such.

Apart from that I'm out of ideas for easy solution for this. Again, the fact it's not running locally might be good thing at some point as You can send the link to client, who is not so proficient with those things (so he/she could easily get this working).
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 pm

v-cube Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 pm
Ok, I created a free account, and tried it with a few panoramas. As you mentioned the quality is very poor with the android / gear VR combination. The lag is so bad that you get sick after looking at it for 1 minute. In addition to this I have the impression that the Gear VR values produce a significantly lower quality compared to the "normal" Gear VR experience.

I do not think the apple experience will be on par either, personally I regard the current resolution of the S6 as just acceptable (screen door effect ...) so any downgrade from this 1440 x 2560 pixels will probably look not so good.

The possibility to add the hot spots within a graphical UI is nice indeed.

If you save the URL of the project as an icon to the phone's home screen and remove every other icon there, it is definitely moving in the right direction, although the user still has to put the phone manually in VR mode by clicking on the corresponding icon before inserting it into the Gear VR.

I will look out for future updates...

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:25 pm

glimpse Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:25 pm
yeah, I'm going to check this on new iPhones as even with S7 Edge the experience is far from acceptable.. I got dizzy after few headtwists & that feeling lasted for like half an hour, but if it works for iPhone any better, this might be temporary solution. will update on this matter in a day or two ;)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:27 pm

v-cube Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:27 pm
just found this:

http://www.instavr.co/

I tried it and it does not look bad... creates a downloadable gear vr file of your tour, no streaming... authoring is easy, it is customizable ( in pro version ) the only downside its 300$ / month (or 200 with a 1 year subscription...) !

for big projects interesting nevertheless ....

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:00 pm

glimpse Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:00 pm
now that's interesting! Thanks for sharing, Andreas ;)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mrom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:37 am

mrom Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:37 am
we are using this currently, works very well! good features.

www.theviewer.co
mrom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:39 am

Goldorak Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:39 am
v-cube wrote:Hello Octane Team,

I would like to call your attention to an "old" wish which I posted the last time in june 2016, my recurring problem is that I would like to be able to bring my clients a hassle free, undisturbed and uncomplicated VR experience in a high level environment.
I am currently able to create nice VR tours with several high quality connected stereoscopic panoramas, everything could be so nice...
But then my problems begin, I have to distribute this to my client and he has to access them through the totally not adequate oculus home portal, plastered with game advertisements and alike -> it look just cheap !

Oh boy, it would be so cool to have a customizable, client specific portal that pops up when the s6 is inserted instead of this oculus thing... this would solve so much problems I have , I would love to pay a significant amount of money to have this option... I think I am not the only one:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=54531&p=278042#p278042

Is there any chance we will ever have this ?

still hoping

Andreas

We are working with Samsung's browser team to have ORBX media URL's downloaded by a web page in the BG and then launched on completion inside ORBX Media Player in VR (possibly AR). This URL hand off already works in Oculus Social+OMP (now being migrated to Oculus Rooms/CAL). in your case, it might be useful to have Samsung Internet (even in 2D) launch a pre-chached ORBX file. We will have to see how this works from 2D mode, but in theory Samsung Internet can show a web page in 2D, show it in VR when the GVR is attached, then launch our ORBX package from the web page. You can already change the background of the browser to an Octane SCM in the latest Samsung Internet release, to further customize the experience.

We are also looking at supporting the above handoff in Daydream/GC from both SI and Chrome (in either 2D or VR modes). We have an OMP build already working well with all features in Daydream as well as ODG rectile OS and Android 2D/AR (as shown in our light field phone streaming demos).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion