ORBX overlay on Spherical Web Experience

Forums: ORBX overlay on Spherical Web Experience
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

ORBX overlay on Spherical Web Experience

Postby jingles » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 pm

jingles Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 pm
I'm a 3D animator/octane-user working with a digital agency to create animations within a 360 webGL / threeJS environment.

Would ORBX be an appropriate file type in the workflow? More specifically, think of a google Streetview environment but with a couple basic animated objects placed in the world.

I'm working with a strong dev team who are constantly looking to implement new technology.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.
Thanks
jingles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ORBX overlay on Spherical Web Experience

Postby Goldorak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Goldorak Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:01 pm
On the Gear VR we currently support overlays with alpha either through PNG/EXR/OKX cube maps (for stills or frame seq. w/alpha) or mp4 video with the bottom half using alpha if it is meant to be transparent. For alpha stereo videos, you append the mp4 file with _TBLR to let the ORBX player know it is a special video type with transparency+stereo properties.

We have ZIP packages working, and will be pushing that update to the Gear VR store next week.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jingles » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 pm

jingles Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 pm
Thanks Goldorak. Can the file type be used to package 3D polygonal shapes which could be parsed (?) by threejs?

The Gear VR OToy media player and OctaneRender's ORBX file output turned me on to this potential, though am looking to use this in a non-VR capacity.

I'm hitting walls trying to figure out how to get animated/baked 3D shapes into this streetview experience and hoping this may be an alt option.

Thanks
jingles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Goldorak Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:45 pm
jingles wrote:Thanks Goldorak. Can the file type be used to package 3D polygonal shapes which could be parsed (?) by threejs?

The Gear VR OToy media player and OctaneRender's ORBX file output turned me on to this potential, though am looking to use this in a non-VR capacity.

I'm hitting walls trying to figure out how to get animated/baked 3D shapes into this streetview experience and hoping this may be an alt option.

Thanks

There is no mesh support in the current app. This is being added into the ORBX 3.0 player (released probably during the Octane 3 beta when baking is solid). We are testing mesh loading on Gear VR (with octane 3 baked textures+mesh export) and it works, but you have a limited budget of 65K polys for meshes on GVR. Mesh export is more useful on PC VR.

For non-VR viewing, you can push more polys on the android app.

The current ORBX scene packages exported from Octane 2.x contain OBJ or ABC files, so this can be loaded into any app that supports those formats - and I believe three.js has an OBJ viewer.

When we export the mesh layers for ORBX 3.0 viewer in compressed/streaming format, we plan to do the same thing we do with OKX textures now, which is make a device/GPU specific package optimized for fast loading, streaming and rendering on the client. For example OpenGL ES2 has 16-bit index buffer, PC DX9 20-bit etc. so the mesh has to be exported differently - unless we send down the original OBJ, ABC, but then it would take too long to load and not easy to compress, and performance might be slow.

We are adding export and publishing options on ORC for mesh export. This way we can keep adding new export options for your uploaded ORBX scene as new devices come out, while still keeping a single URL . The ORBX viewer will automatically download the right package for the device requesting the content, like youtube does for video.

We may add a generic OBJ file loader in the viewer too, but it is not on our current roadmap for the next release.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby regionfive » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 pm

regionfive Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 pm
Goldorak wrote:mp4 video with the bottom half using alpha if it is meant to be transparent.

what does bottom half mean exactly? afaik it is not possible to include alpha in a mp4 that is h.264 encoded. or am i wrong?
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby regionfive » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm

regionfive Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm
jingles wrote:I'm a 3D animator/octane-user working with a digital agency to create animations within a 360 webGL / threeJS environment.

Would ORBX be an appropriate file type in the workflow? More specifically, think of a google Streetview environment but with a couple basic animated objects placed in the world.

I'm working with a strong dev team who are constantly looking to implement new technology.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.
Thanks

I would like to go with a simlar approach for a project at the moment. I have absolutely no idea about three.js, only that it can fetch some objs. mybe, if you do texture baking and put those tex on your objs and animate with javascript, that should be cool.
maybe this one helps for you:

http://www.roadtovr.com/4-steps-to-start-experimenting-with-webvr-in-10-minutes/

Cheers,
René
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion