ORBX viewer 2.0

Forums: ORBX viewer 2.0
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: ORBX viewer 2.0

Postby Goldorak » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:11 am

Goldorak Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:11 am
jamesbudge wrote:Hi,

Is there any further announcements on when ORBX viewer 3 will be released, it seems like this mythical viewer at the moment.

The branding of the viewer and the ability to package the project into a zip file would be great, ever better if the .zip could be secured.
We have had loads of interest with clients and have also been using Unity to package the project up, and so far I prefer ORBX viewer but with more and more people wanting the VR renders Unity is looking good for the immediate ability to create a branded app to view and navigate the cube maps.

Will ORBX viewer 3 also allow precise hotspot positioning and the ability to use .png sequences for animated hotspots?

I am really looking forward to the release, is there no chance of a Beta for us to start getting to grips with?

Regards

James

Packaging your project folder as a ZIP actually works in the current app pretty well for things like images+scripts. But it can break other media depending on the ZIP software you use, which is not in out hands. The reason we have ORBX containers is they are meant to be packaged by our software for the target device in order to make sure the assets work optimally. We also adding digitial signatures, encryption and buffered streaming cache to ORBX containers that is based on your Octane ID and the settings you set for the package. If you launch a signed ORBX file with the player (via a URI request or android intent from another app for example), you will bypass the home screen and run the ORBX content directly with whatever other paramaters the URI defines.

ORBX 3 player will add support for mesh layers (including hidden bounding box of scene objects) exported from Octane 3. You can pretty much use this for precise and nearly automatic hotspot scene authoring. The hotspot metadata could be handled in a script node you attach to the object layer.

We are hoping to release ORBX 3 player around GTC along with a set of VR tools for Octane 3 that will support its features on both PC and mobile VR devices.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 am

Goldorak Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 am
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we've been tracking down a crash in the app which has been reported to happen on Android M + Gear VR.

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30200

Oculus is helping us get the bottom of this, but we haven't gotten our hands on Android M yet to debug and fix properly. if anyone on the forums (in the US) has gotten the Android M update for GVR could you please let us know which carrier you have?

We'll push an update out to the store as soon as we have a fix.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby 3dhermit » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:22 pm

3dhermit Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:22 pm
Awesome news guy and thanks a bunch for keeping us in the loop with when the update might hit and a clearer view of the new features. This helps everyone and keep is up the great work! :D
3dhermit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:24 am

Goldorak Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:24 am
Hi all,

We received our Galaxy S7 today and were able to debug and fix the issue on Android M. We've posted an updated APK to Oculus Home. Could any users with an Android M Gear VR device confirm that the app is up and running correctly on Oculus Home?

Also, some additional info on our current roadmap for those that may be interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... ds/d0ssjfr
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jamesbudge » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:39 pm

jamesbudge Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:39 pm
Hi

I have updated our S6 with Marshmallow and ORBX 2.2.22 loads fine. I have however noticed a glitch with the cube maps.

When I load the cube map (strait from the render 18k 12 cube format) the image looks great but when you up or down you get ghosting around objects, it looks as though the top, left and right eye cubes are loading switched and also the bottom left and right.

Is anyone else getting this?

If you load the same image in Oculus 360 photos and look at say the spotlights as the image loads it looks great, then after a second it does the same thing and looks flipped, with ghosting around the spot, if you close one eye it looks ok. I am not bothered about 360 photos viewer but it is good to see how it loads fine, then after a split second looks incorrect. It looks similar to if the eye distance is set incorrect.

I assume this could be some issue caused by the new update as it happens on all cube maps previously already loaded that were fine. It only happens when looking at the TOP and BOTTOM cubes.

Regards

James Budge
jamesbudge

Postby Goldorak » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Goldorak Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm
[quote="jamesbudge"]Hi

I have updated our S6 with Marshmallow and ORBX 2.2.22 loads fine. I have however noticed a glitch with the cube maps.

When I load the cube map (strait from the render 18k 12 cube format) the image looks great but when you up or down you get ghosting around objects, it looks as though the top, left and right eye cubes are loading switched and also the bottom left and right.

If you load the same image in Oculus 360 photos and look at say the spotlights as the image loads it looks great, then after a second it does the same thing and looks flipped, with ghosting around the spot, if you close one eye it looks ok. I am not bothered about 360 photos viewer but it is good to see how it loads fine, then after a split second looks incorrect. It looks similar to if the eye distance is set incorrect.

I assume this could be some issue caused by the new update as it happens on all cube maps previously already loaded that were fine. It only happens when looking at the TOP and BOTTOM cubes.

Regards

James Budge[/quote

You sure this is only after the android M update?
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby thatkeith » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:15 pm

thatkeith Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:15 pm
As a long-term 360 pano photographer I'm deeply excited by what I've seen of the ORBX player on GVR, and I've enjoyed putting some experiments together. But the lack of any documentation is really frustrating! I realise it's interim, but still, I'd rather be able to make something more complete now and have to rebuild later than just sit here wishing and banging my head against a brick wall. :-/

My current point of frustration is something that perhaps is actually easy to do: position hotspots at set vertical points within a scene. Not by just making a taller PNG and shoving the visible part of the graphic towards the bottom (for example), I mean some way of giving a smallish hotspot a y location within the environment. My current project idea requires a number of hotspots, some of which would have the same x location as others but be at a higher or lower y location.

Dumb question with an easy solution? :hopefulface: ;)
thatkeith

Postby jamesbudge » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:50 pm

jamesbudge Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:50 pm
Goldorak wrote:
jamesbudge wrote:Hi

Regards

James Budge[/quote

You sure this is only after the android M update?

Hi,
I defiantly have never noticed this before, It is more noticeable when using the 360 photo viewer, I just assume that ORBX is far better at loading and is instant.

I am going to do some more tests to see If it is down to the render, It seems to do it more when the ceiling is closer to the camera and there is an obvious object, such as a spotlight to focus on. If a get the cube into Photoshop the top, and bottom cubes when overlaid seem more out from each other than some of the others, but I am getting this affect on some previous cubes which were comfortable to view, its as if the Gear overcooking the depth.

I have some more renders to get out so hopefully it may be just a render error on my part.

James
jamesbudge

Postby sbrusse » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:01 am

sbrusse Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:01 am
Hi guys, Hi Goldorak,

Any infos on how to get 18k cubemaps image sequence working with the current version of the omp (2.2.22)?
We have the S7 and ordered few other and we really would like to be able to view 18k stereo cubemaps at 60fps.
The cubemaps would come from a image sequence and not a orbx though.

Any way OMP can load up the whole 18k cubemap sequence in ram before playing to get the best user experience?

Thanks
Stan
sbrusse

Postby jobigoud » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:07 am

jobigoud Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:07 am
jamesbudge wrote:When I load the cube map (strait from the render 18k 12 cube format) the image looks great but when you up or down you get ghosting around objects, it looks as though the top, left and right eye cubes are loading switched and also the bottom left and right.

Oculus 360 Photos loads the images as monoscopic at first, and only loads the full stereo after a short delay. Previously they were falling back to monoscopic only when the file explorer UI was visible. Probably to avoid having it behind nearby objects from the image. They changed this loading behavior recently.

I just tested with a render straight from Octane and I have the proper stereo. It sounds like you have inverted eyes, that would definitely produce the artifacts you are describing. Which version of Octane are you using?
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion