Reflection-Matte for render layers

Forums: Reflection-Matte for render layers
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Reflection-Matte for render layers

Postby henningricke » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:20 am

henningricke Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:20 am
Tree_Reflectins.jpg

Hi Guys

I think we are missing a major feature when it comes to VFX Shots; especially when combining renderings with real footage.
When rendering out an object’s reflection via render layers, we only get out the highlights.
But, in order to get the correct reflection, we also need the dark parts of it.

For example: The tree standing in the lake should have a mainly dark reflection on the water, obscuring the reflection of the bright sky from above. It would pick up the blusih water color.

We can’t achieve this only with the layer reflections. When set to “add” in comp, they would simply vanish and the sky would still be visible below the tree.

Until now the only way of achieving this is to manually set up a separate scene and build a complicated workaround with a luminance matte, which is terribly tedious, especially when dealing with multiple shots.

Could we please get a reflection-matte when rendering out objects with render layers?
henningricke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Reflection-Matte for render layers

Postby adrianr » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:55 pm

adrianr Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:55 pm
Would like to add my +1 to this.
adrianr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion