Custom matte Node

Forums: Custom matte Node
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Custom matte Node

Postby henningricke » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:23 am

henningricke Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:23 am
Universal_Matte_v001.jpg

Hi guys, I’d like to share a thought that has been rotating in my mind:

What if there was a way to create mattes in octane materials, simply by using 3D objects?
I know you can do something like this via vertex maps, but they are limited by the mesh resolution what makes them unsuitable in many cases. I am talking about really defined mattes.

How about a node that works like the dirt node does, but with one major difference: The option to restrict it to dedicated 3D objects, turning it into a universal custom matte tool.

I think this feature would be insanely powerful and versatile for pretty much any kind of use case! Also, it could be easy to use. What is your opinion on that?

From my (limited) knowledge of how the dirt node works I can identify 3 major question marks:

1.) Is it even possible to restrict it to certain objects only?
2.) Could it also fill out the inside of the selection and not just the outer rim, like the dirt node does? (Would have to be closed meshes)
3.) Could the matte objects be hidden in the render, but remain being seen by the shader?

This is of course simply naive wishful thinking from a user perspective, but couldn't this actually be doable?
henningricke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion