Sensor height

Forums: Sensor height
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Sensor height

Postby jalley » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 am

jalley Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 am
I would like to know the physical camera's sensor height. I'm not sure if the sensor's aspect ratio is 3/2, like a 35 mm, and also if this aspect ratio is maintained when the sensor width changes.

The official documentation states that you must adjust the sensor width in order to switch from a 35 mm to another type. However, how is this done when other sensors, such as the 4/3, have different aspect ratios ?

Thank you.
jalley
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Sensor height

Postby elsksa » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:56 pm

elsksa Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:56 pm
It is whatever it can be set to.

Camera sensors typically stick with a conventional width and custom height (not only referring to still cameras but also motion picture)

Since it is a virtual sensor / lens, the resolution can be locked into an aspect ratio and change to any desired value proportionally.

By default, it's a "35mm full frame" on a 50mm lens (at least in standalone) on a power-of-two resolution (1024x512) which when divided equals 2 (2:1 aspect ratio).

Available (primary) controls are:
- sensor width
is mainly associated with the lens focal length and can be utilized as a crop factor (does not affect the aspect ratio)
- "image aspect ratio"
called "Film Settings" in Octane, where resolution of X and Y is set and consequently the aspect ratio of the image
- pixel aspect ratio (≠ aperture aspect ratio) 

only affects the pixels (e.g. squeeze/desqueeze anamorphic method), rarely ever changed even for "anamorphic looks"
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion