My internet was down for six hours yesterday...

Forums: My internet was down for six hours yesterday...
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

My internet was down for six hours yesterday...

Postby leave2 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm

leave2 Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm
...so as a result, I couldn't do any work, despite being sat at my computer, directly in front of the software I've paid to have access to.

Adobe manage to let people use their software without an internet connection, I just don't understand why OTOY don't? Aren't there like zero instances of piracy of Octane at this point?

I've got to be honest, sitting there yesterday having to explain to my client over the phone why I can't continue the project has actually made me hate this company. I can deal with the OK-to-terrible level of support, but I can't deal with being prevented from working just because you people can't figure out a more elegant way of "protecting" your asset.

I've paid for this software, it should absolutely not be forced to pay extra and commit annually for a dongle.

Can we please have this changed so that the software gives you, at the very least, 24 hours of use after confirming the subscription is valid? This seems like such a tiny implementation that would give people like me in rural areas peace of mind. I don't have any mobile internet access, so if my Internet goes down, I have literally no way of continuing my work unless I give you more money. Seems totally unfair.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: My internet was down for six hours yesterday...

Postby leave2 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:27 am

leave2 Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:27 am
Well, four days without a reply says it all, really.

Disgusted.

Edit: 7th February 2024: They never even replied. That's how much these people care about their customer base.
Last edited by leave2 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:37 pm

glimpse Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:37 pm
Hi,

not sure what kind of answer You are expecting, bus as user I would not be betting company to change licensing system. The whole point point of this internet activation and unlocks that does not have infinite count is to avoid certain actors tricking the system and running single license on multiple machines or hacking things up and not paying a thing at all..

All in all, system is pretty fair, but I understand that in case like Yours, where internet is down and You do not have access to some mobile tethering or such is problematic. Investing into mobile data plan, mobile router could be a solution (and that's the first thing I would do if technically it is possible). If not, You already mentioned a solution - dongle, that allows You to run license without internet for months (think You need to refresh it only every few months).

again, I doubt OTOY want to make Your life worse, I'm pretty sure the opposite is true, however, what You are asking would actually would not help. If company let loose the licensing and it get broken, cracked, circumvented, then devs will notice less downloads, less income, they will start working on other projects and improve software less.. - I doubt it's what You want, even as a side effect.

So all in all, with all respect, what You are asking is solvable, by solutions that are available. I can not and do not speak for the company, but I doubt what You asking is going to happen for the reasons mentioned before. Imagine Your client asking You more, but not paying..- that's what You are asking, but what would end up happening..

hope it makes sense. As a users I would advise to look into dongle (got one for myself, just in case, even if I do have stable internet, backup data plan..).
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leave2 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:22 pm

leave2 Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:22 pm
If I tell you that I live rurally and don't have access to mobile internet, then suggesting that I perhaps get mobile internet as a backup isn't very helpful, is it?

Similarly, If I tell you that I'm fundamentally against having to purchase a dongle in order to use it offline, then suggesting I buy a dongle also isn't helpful, is it?

Honestly, I'm scratching my head at every part of your post. It's one of those times where I've read it, and I'm sitting here wondering how I point out how much it misses the mark, while doing my best not to just simply appear rude.

Different perspectives, I guess. Have a good weekend.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:25 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:25 pm
I was in the same situation a while ago and it is terrible. I was able to connect via the internet through my phone, but its not enough to do it once. You need a permanent connection or octane will stop rendering. I also think that there should be a period where you can use the software without internet. We work on very tight deadlines and its very bad to find out that there was nothing rendered, because the internet connection broke for some reason.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SSmolak » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:52 pm

SSmolak Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:52 pm
Hesekiel2517 wrote:I also think that there should be a period where you can use the software without internet.

and inventive hackers will use this "feature" to create version where octane will needs online activation every 10 years. Octane has very aggressive activation but this is only one non-hacked renderer on the world - probably for this reason.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leave2 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:30 pm

leave2 Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:30 pm
SSmolak wrote:
Hesekiel2517 wrote:I also think that there should be a period where you can use the software without internet.

and inventive hackers will use this "feature" to create version where octane will needs online activation every 10 years. Octane has very aggressive activation but this is only one non-hacked renderer on the world - probably for this reason.

Photoshop piracy fell through the floor once the subscription model was introduced, and people were able to obtain it for a few bucks a month. It's no different with this. The people who would pirate this now, just don't use it, and the people who use it will just pay.

Piracy is an absolutely tiny, almost microscopic part of the creative industry, and it's a terrible reason to make paying customers suffer in their professional lives. Adobe had one of the most rampantly pirated software products of all time (I was pretty much the only person I knew who had an OEM copy of Photoshop 4 back in the day, and paid for every single version right up to subscription CS), yet they managed to turn a consistent profit. How? Because they focused on creative businesses and didn't worry about what some 17 year old was doing in their bedroom with their crappy pirated copy.

The irony being that the piracy also solidified Adobe's dominant position.

OTOY think preventing piracy helps their business model, and they're completely wrong.

There's so many ways to tackle this that doesn't involve a professional having to suffer just so OTOY can "win" against a handful of pirates.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SSmolak » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:47 pm

SSmolak Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:47 pm
leave2 wrote:
Photoshop piracy...

Adobe and Microsoft have dominant position on the market from decades. Piracy can even help them. Otoy don't have dominant position. Otoy every Black Week introduce huge promotions and hardware dongle cost only 50 euro little more than popular texture subscriptions per month and you have it forever. I don't understand where is problem.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KeeWe » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:42 am

KeeWe Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:42 am
It should be at least continue to render if the internet breaks down. We have a very reliable connection in our office, so the chance of getting disconnected is very low. Plus, mobile hotspot is no problem. So, the need for a dongle is actually not given BUT if they connection breaks one time a year on Friday night, it's pretty sh*tty that we lose a whole weekend of rendering (if not checked). And: almost everybody learns about the dongle and the strict activation process AFTER the lost the ability to work/render... mayber otoy should promote that in a better way.
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leave2 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:06 pm

leave2 Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:06 pm
SSmolak wrote:
leave2 wrote:
Photoshop piracy...

Adobe and Microsoft have dominant position on the market from decades. Piracy can even help them. Otoy don't have dominant position. Otoy every Black Week introduce huge promotions and hardware dongle cost only 50 euro little more than popular texture subscriptions per month and you have it forever. I don't understand where is problem.

You don't understand what the problem is, yet the problem is literally explained in the post. I can't say more than that. This is a you problem, I'm afraid.
Last edited by leave2 on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to General Discussion