Octane and attributes

Forums: Octane and attributes
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane and attributes

Postby jan8 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:07 am

jan8 Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:07 am
opening a full new DCC agnostic thread here:

I used to be an avid octane for blender user up until geometry nodes became my main stay and its attributes are still not supported beyond a simple vertex color attribute.
so I moved over to houdini thinking since attributes are such an essential feature/concept of houdini, I'd find more attribute types supported. Much to my disappointment, the situation is very much the same and there is no support beyond standard mesh/vertex attributes (vec and float)

so now my question is, are we at the mercy of each DCC version/implementation to add support for more attribute types, or is this in works for stand alone first and will the cascade into each DCC flavor?

looks like its a long standing demand and I'd be curious to hear if this is even a priority for Otoy? (and maybe others would like to know too)

happy new year to all!
jan8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane and attributes

Postby ricky_otoy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 am

ricky_otoy Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 am
Hi Jan8, generally features get added to Standalone which DCC plugins will then get - although it is possible to have specific features and functions developed on the plugin side to help with workflow etc. In Houdini from the plugin side we are looking at what is possible to make additional attributes available (particularly from Packed)

Do you have any examples and use cases to show how you’d like to utilize other attributes with Octane in Houdini and Blender?
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to General Discussion