How to add fake reflection to live action plate window?

Forums: How to add fake reflection to live action plate window?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

How to add fake reflection to live action plate window?

Postby Yngvai » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:35 am

Yngvai Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:35 am
I'm working on a shot where a CG Optimus Prime drives up. One thing that would really enhance the realism of the shot would be to add Optimus's reflection to the windows in the building on the live action plate.

Is it possible to do this? I would need to composite the reflection of just Optimus but still allow the background plate to show...like an alpha channel reflection. Creating small planes of glass material in 3d space in the approximate location obviously doesn't work because there's nothing behind the glass in the virtual 3d space.

I did some searches of the web but couldn't find any solutions relevant to this problem.

I'm using Blender with Octane Render.
Yngvai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to add fake reflection to live action plate window?

Postby SSmolak » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:59 am

SSmolak Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:59 am
This probably can be done inside Octane using AOV mixing with layers and custom AOV as mask.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yngvai » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 pm

Yngvai Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:13 pm
Thanks for the response. Looks like I won't need to do the reflections anyway. I had some other footage where a delivery truck drove by while filming, and when the truck is in the approximate location of Optimus, no reflection shows up in the windows.

To confirm, I created a specular reflective wall and turned off the HDRI environment so that the wall would only reflect sunlight and Optimus. Optimus's reflection on the wall is off the screen.

Thus I don't need to worry about the reflection.

That said, it would be awesome if Octane had a reflection catcher option for materials just like a shadow catcher option. Looking back on other OTOY posts related to this topic, I've seen other people request such a feature.
Yngvai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:02 am

Hesekiel2517 Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:02 am
It's already possible with the layer system. Here is how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4LBf_t_Xs

This works great, but there are still some limitations so I would like to see this improved aswell
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion