Turn off Cast Shadows for Only One Object for Only One Light

Forums: Turn off Cast Shadows for Only One Object for Only One Light
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Turn off Cast Shadows for Only One Object for Only One Light

Postby botoy234 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:06 pm

botoy234 Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:06 pm
I have a character in front of a house lit by an HDRI.
I want the house to self-shadow and cast shadows as normal.
However, I have a rim/hair/background light shining from behind the house to target the character.
The problem is the house blocks the rim light from hitting the character, and I want that light to ignore/shine through the house.
With light linking, even with the rim light unchecked from the house, it still shadows/blocks the light from hitting the character.
And with the octane object tag, if I turn off shadow visibility off on the house, then it also doesn't self shadow itself or cast the other shadows I do still need.
Finally, if I turn off "cast shadows" in the rim light's octane light tag, this lets it shine through the house, but it doesn't work right with the object anyway (because the object is SSS material), and this also means no cast shadows on any other objects in the scene.
So none of those solutions seem to work.
What's the best way to get the background object to respond to other lights and cast shadows, but not block the rim light from hitting the character or other objects in front of the house?
Thanks for any ideas help, hopefully this is a common problem, but I couldn't find any information online.
botoy234
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Turn off Cast Shadows for Only One Object for Only One Light

Postby joel_motion » Thu May 11, 2023 8:24 pm

joel_motion Thu May 11, 2023 8:24 pm
Bumping this because I'm searching for an answer as well. This is a normal thing in Redshift and perhaps one of the only remaining features that Octane does not have a better answer to.
The ability for lights to exclude certain objects (and thus pass thru unimpeded) would be super helpful.
joel_motion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Turn off Cast Shadows for Only One Object for Only One Light

Postby joel_motion » Thu May 11, 2023 8:26 pm

joel_motion Thu May 11, 2023 8:26 pm
I suppose a better way of saying it would be to allow for "Shadow visibility" to be toggled on/off for specific light passes.
joel_motion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion